Abuse allowed in slavery?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
ManofGod
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Abuse allowed in slavery?

Post by ManofGod »

Exodus 21:21 says that if a master strikes his slave with a rod and is unconsious for 1 or 2 days no revenge shall be taken, "for he is his property". This at first seems like a blatant allowance of slave abuse, but my question is, is it correct to say that if this occured the slave go free in the same sense that he would in 21:26 "on account of the [general injury]"? Also would the master be obliged to care for the slave as he would with a free man as said earlier in the chapter? If so I think that would refute allegations by sceptics of slave abuse. If anyone can give me some clear affirmation on this, I would greatly appreciate it.
P.S A alternate translation for property in that verse is "money" Would that help in affirming God's intended humanization of the slavery or indentured servant system?
Last edited by ManofGod on Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Abuse allowed in slavery?

Post by Kurieuo »

This is just one passage, but there is much about slavery in the Bible.

An old yet detailed page I highly recommend to you is: http://christianthinktank.com/qnoslave.html
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Welcome to the forum ManofGod :wave:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

The Law was intended to deal with fallen, sinful man. It deals with the unfortunate realities of this world. It isn't some pie in the sky Eutopia.
It deals with injustice, but the Law itself is not a solution to injustice.

If you really want an in depth study of the difficulties in the OT, then I would suggest Paul Copan's, Is God a Moral Monster.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

If you really want an in depth study of the difficulties in the OT, then I would suggest Paul Copan's, Is God a Moral Monster.
Absolutely, Jlay! This book should be on every Christian's bookshelf - it greatly helps to enlighten on many difficult things we struggle with that we find in Scripture. It goes in great detail about how slavery in ancient Israel wasn't even remotely like the unjust, brutal system of slavery found in the Americas during the 18th and 19th centuries.
ManofGod
Acquainted Member

Post by ManofGod »

Thanks for the welcome and the feedback everybody. I have studied and found stark differences in the treatment of slaves as compared to chattel slavery in Ancient East cultures. God truly made slavery as humanitarian as possible within the Israelite culture. I have a question for Philip. You mentioned the IS God a Moral Monster book(which I plan to get someday). Could you maybe give me some of Copan's thoughts on the verse I posted originally(Exodus 21:21)? It would help to get some insight on the exact meaning of that verse. It is a verse that I have heard skeptics use to accuse God of moral hypocrisy :esurprised: , so if the book affirms the ideas I posted, could you let me know. Thanks :D
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

I have a question for Philip. You mentioned the IS God a Moral Monster book(which I plan to get someday). Could you maybe give me some of Copan's thoughts on the verse I posted originally(Exodus 21:21)?
I'll try to put something together for you. I've been seriously under the weather for the past 4 days - finally trending upwards.
ManofGod
Acquainted Member

Post by ManofGod »

I hope you get better soon. I appreciate you doing that for me. I have a lot more questions that we can discuss with the help of that book.