Hypocrisy....Biblical VS Worldly....

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
jcgood
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Hypocrisy....Biblical VS Worldly....

Post by jcgood »

It seems like I need to explain the Biblical definition of hypocrisy....with actual scripture...to oppose those who are using a Biblical word in a worldly fashion.

Some quotes from Scripture:

"You hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy of you, when he said: “‘This people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far from me; in vain do they worship me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”"
Matthew 15:7-9 ESV
"If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless."
James 1:26 ESV
"If anyone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen cannot love God whom he has not seen."

These are but a few of the many scriptures on Biblical hypocrisy...

....Which is.... the act of someone pretending that they are so close to God and truly know Him ( in their own minds and to those deceived by the outward appearances)...but their fruit and/or practices....and words that they speak or write....tell of a person who really doesn't personally know the Lord very well....by their hard-hearted questions......by their contempt for the Truth and the freedom it brings (from the legalism that they hold onto) by really knowing it by experience.....by their mocking statements that attempt to subterfuge the actual Truth (but it cannot be true because THEY don't think so).

Hypocrites will cover their own unbelief and unwillingness to study scripture and seek, ask, and knock themselves....with their emotional show of severe disdain for the things that they personally hate....
...yet have ...ZERO TO DO WITH GOD, HIS WORD, AND WHAT HE HATES...

They are very artful in peppering questions to their adversaries....Matt. 12:10

And a man was there whose hand was withered. And they questioned Jesus, asking, "Is it lawful to heal on the Sabbath?"-- so that they might accuse Him.

Another is Luke 20:1 - 8....is classical, Biblical hypocrisy.

The most telling sign of a hypocrite...is that they don't know that they are one...and they can't see real hypocrisy...so they make up their own definitions of hypocrisy.....to put another notch on their self-righteous scoreboard.

Jesus said....don't be deceived....hypocrites will be known ( by those not deceived ) by their fruit.

Biblical hypocrisy....is a very serious charge...and should not be thrown around loosely; according to our Lord....Matt.5:22

We are all hypocritical at times....because we are not perfect.....but there are some you can smell three blocks or three posts away!!!! he..he..he.. Any questions? Any answers? Know any modern day Pharisees?
"The wise are those who utter words with respect to God's ears and eyes".. JC Goodman

The problem with a hypocrite...is that he doesn't know that he is one ...JC Goodman

"Whining and complaining about...the government...or being zealously partisan;
is actually and honestly..... a distrust in the sovereignty of God...JC Goodman
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Hypocrisy....Biblical VS Worldly....

Post by B. W. »

Mat 7:3, And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? NKJV

James 1:23, 24, For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. NKJV
AMG's Complete Wordstudy Dictionary of NT Words wrote:strongs 5273, hypocrite

ὑποκριτής

hupokritḗs; gen. hupokritoú, masc. noun from hupokrínomai (5271), to act as a hypocrite. A hypocrite, one who acts pretentiously,or a counterfeit, or a man who assumes and speaks or acts under a feigned character...
Mat 7:4, Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? NKJV
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

We are all hypocritical at times....because we are not perfect....
Such a truth.
....but there are some you can smell three blocks or three posts away!!!! he..he..he.. Any questions?
Really?
Any answers? Know any modern day Pharisees?
Yes. But knowing about them more than after 'three posts'.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Could hypocrisy also be thinking you are humble but instead are delusional with pride?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

jlay wrote:Could hypocrisy also be thinking you are humble but instead are delusional with pride?
No. Hypocrisy supposes voluntary deception in order to show oneself in a better light. There is an element of lying in hypocrisy. You have described self-delusion or envy...or something else.

FL y:-B
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +