Joseph Prince?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Joseph Prince?

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:Jac,

So would it be fair to say from what you know about him, that he justifies all the money he makes off "his" ministry, by saying if one(obviously including himself) lives under God's grace, then one will be blessed materially?

And if yes, you don't find that to be "particularly negative"?

It just seems like he's preaching a new version of the same old prosperity gospel.
I'm not under the impression that he thinks that if one lives under grace then one will be materially blessed. I emphasize that I'm only vagually familiar with his ministry and I am not endorsing him. I am saying, though, that my impression has been that he sees material blessing as a possible blessing of living under grace. While I wouldn't even necessarily make that connection (I connect material blessing more in a proverbial sense of wise living tends to lead to material prosperity, and that by God's design), I don't find such a connecton especially or particularly negative. I think at that point we're getting close to splitting hairs.

But for the umpteenth time, I could be wrong in his emphasis. That's just what it seems to me based on what I've heard from him. I would add that looking at some of his sermon titles (that I have not listened to), he certainly seems to be preaching a standard prosperity gospel.

Here's one, for instance, called "Your Every Blessing Is Found In Jesus." From the description:
  • Every believer needs to hear this message over and over again. It unveils a fresh revelation that Jesus Himself is your healing, your wealth and your success. He is the sum total of every blessing you have ever desired and imagined. Which is greater ? the giver or the gift? Which is more important ? blessings or the source of all blessings? Listen to this powerful message and allow Joseph Prince to recalibrate your purpose and focus in life. You will fall in love with Jesus all over again.
This could certainly be standard prosperity nonsense, but I haven't listened so I don't know. It's enough to make me raise my eyebrows, and as I said, I want to listen to him in some more detail later to get a better feel for him. If any of you have the time to give this one a listen before I do, maybe you can report! :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9arTTvxz4YM[/youtube]
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Here are some of his crazy ideas...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_w4_rF49KI[/youtube]
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Yeah, I didn't see any heresy in that video at all. I saw some hand wringing over reaction. "Mother Grace" is not Catholic doctrine, and to say that we are not to be fearful or afraid of God is not to say that we should not fear the Lord. After all, John tells us that perfect love casts out fear (1 John 4:8).

Look, they guy may be a heretic. But if he is, we need to offer sound critiques. Attacks like that are uncharitable, mean spirited, dishonest, and in all that, sinful. Moreover, they presuppose their own heresies and thus ought to be condemned. And so I do condemn that video. I think it is completely unrepresentative of Christianity, and whoever made it and whoever promotes it ought to be utterly ashamed of themselves.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Obviously we are going to disagree on Joseph's teachings on G-d's commandments. It is wrong to say that Christ completely wiped out G-d's commandments Matthew 5:17-19. But then this guy even goes further when he doesn’t clearly define the role of the moral Law of God either when he states that G-d's commandments are dead..

That's why he has so many believers following him..

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

You mean he has so many believers following him because he says God's commandments are dead?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

neo-x wrote: You mean he has so many believers following him because he says God's commandments are dead?
Having large amounts of crowds follow you is never any guarantee for truth.. Followers of G-d have always been in the minority. 2 Timothy 4:3

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Gman wrote:
neo-x wrote: You mean he has so many believers following him because he says God's commandments are dead?
Having large amounts of crowds follow you is never any guarantee for truth.. Followers of G-d have always been in the minority. 2 Timothy 4:3
I think its true often but not always. Being in a minority is no guarantee of truth either.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Gman wrote:Obviously we are going to disagree on Joseph's teachings on G-d's commandments. It is wrong to say that Christ completely wiped out G-d's commandments Matthew 5:17-19. But then this guy even goes further when he doesn’t clearly define the role of the moral Law of God either when he states that G-d's commandments are dead..

That's the kind of statement that needs a video or transcription of what he actually said in context. If he is denying the ceremonial/moral distinction in the Law and thereby denying that believers are under any of it (including the moral parts), then he is absolutely correct. Such a division is artificial and was imposed on the text by later theologians who only want to keep part of it. If, on the other hand, he is saying that believers are not bound not to sin but can live freely in sin without consequences of any kind, then he is, of course, wrong. But I have my deep doubts he is saying the latter.

So if you only objection to Mr. Price is that he believes we are not under the Law, then I suppose I'll just shrug my shoulders and move on. I don't even know why you'd bother posting it. The best way I could contribute is to add to the list of heretics and post dozens of videos of people who preach the same things.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Jac3510 wrote:So if you only objection to Mr. Price is that he believes we are not under the Law, then I suppose I'll just shrug my shoulders and move on. I don't even know why you'd bother posting it. The best way I could contribute is to add to the list of heretics and post dozens of videos of people who preach the same things.
Yes.. We have been over this many times. He is essentially saying the same things you are. I'm not going to post every single word that this Prince guy says but I believe he is wrong on many many levels. As I said before technically we are not under the "curse" or "penalty" of G-d's commandments nor technically "have" to do them, but we follow them anyway because we simply want to obey Him in love.. Not to attain righteousness, not to brag, not to climb a pyramid, we do them simply because He asks us to..

Let's just face it, we read the same Bible and have a completely different view on it.. We are complete opposites. Sorry.