Demons? Hoax? Exorcism? Actual Demon Voice?

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Demons? Hoax? Exorcism? Actual Demon Voice?

Post by Philip »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hoax.html

Impressions, please! Incredibly fascinating. But whatever was actually going on here, I can tell you that the rituals of RCC exorcism did not solve it!
Philip
Site Owner

Re: Demons? Hoax? Exorcism? Actual Demon Voice?

Post by Philip »

Oh, and for those who can't find an Exorcist in your local Yellow Pages, don't forget the increasingly popular "Skype Exorcisms": http://www.vocativ.com/01-2014/skype-ex ... exorcists/
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

In all likelyhood, this is an elaborate hoax. The oil seeping from furniture is a neat trick. The more common version of this trick is to have a statue of the Virgin, and to have tears of blood seeping from her eyes.

My vote: :fruitcake:

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Who knows about the bizarre goings on? Some of what was mentioned - IF true - is quite strange. It would appear that quite a few professional people meticulously and extensively checked over the house and the people in it. But, again, who knows?

But IF this was a genuine possession case, I can still tell you that all of that RCC mumbo jumbo with the priest and crucifixes and "trying to draw out the demonic, so as to find its supposed weaknesses," and chanting commands in Latin - well, that's all total bunk and theatrics (no wonder Hollywood loves it). ANY Christian of strong faith has the ability to cast out a demon. And the power to do so isn't in any supposed ancient rituals of the RCC or purported skill of an experienced priest. The power to cast out a demon comes from Christ's authority and faith in His ability to do so, not in the supposed power of some RCC ritual. Notice that in Scripture, when a demon is cast out, none of the stuff the RCC teaches occurs. The demonic obeyed Jesus' simple, direct commands to come out. When Paul cast out the demon in Acts 16, he simply says, “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her.” And we're told that "it came out that very hour."

I believe it was Hank Hanegraaf that said that it is much more likely, as demons want people to believe in the power of ritual as opposed to the power of Christ, so they may magically seem to go away/go quiet and disappear once the exorcism ritual is applied. The ritual doesn't hurt or inhibit the demonic in any way but it is useful in getting people to believe in crucifixes, extensive chanting exhorting, and the supposed power of the RCC's teachings and rituals concerning exorcism.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Philip wrote:But IF this was a genuine possession case...
Oh, don't get me wrong. I do believe there are genuine possession cases but we no longer call them that. We call them antisocials, we call them psychotics, we call them drunks, we call them drug addicts, we call them _____________________. Such people truly do have a spirit under evil domination.

What you have presented us is...showmanship. Hollywood. It is Entertainment, capital E Entertainment. It's like in crime: the best criminals are the ones who never get caught, the ones who lie low, the ones who look like your next door neighbor. Really bad criminals have tattoos, drive flashy cars and want to be noticed. And they get caught.

So, in my opinion, your news item is just schlock. I don't buy it...but it is fun.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

It is entirely possible that the story hasn't been authenticated, although the more bizarre observations, IF true, are very disturbing. And, yes, if the devil wishes to attract us, why would he be so obvious? Why would he inspire such terror that would make many turn to the Lord out of fear? HOWEVER, and it was my point of this post, is that, IF the devil is behind events in the house (and other occurrences related to it), then his strategy is more than likely to have people get caught up in the mistaken belief in the power of religious ritual to save and protect them, and to drive Satan and his demons away. And even if the details of the story are completely false, the devil could still be behind perpetrating belief in both the story and the supposed remedy (RCC priest applying ritual).

So many have bought into belief in the RCC ritual of exorcism, that whenever a story involving a supposed possession surfaces, you can just about bet that a RCC priest and the ritual of exorcism comes up or is somehow involved. Rumor is that the devil just loves William Friedkin and Linda Blair. Though silly, it may well be true. He loves to get us to believe in false things. Because the devil has a large and diverse tool kit. He'll distract us with ritual, belief and obsession with various strange phenomena, chase us into the wrong direction with fear - WHATEVER tool works, he'll use. And if that one quits working, he'll switch to another.