queston for Atheist?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: queston for Atheist?

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:I think you need to buy a book of idioms of the English language. :D
One day I will compose poem from idioms y[-(
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Philip
Site Owner
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Or a book on bad puns ...
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

1over137 wrote:
RickD wrote:I think you need to buy a book of idioms of the English language. :D
One day I will compose poem from idioms y[-(

It's ok Hana these sorts of "jokes" usually go over my head too. y#-o
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:Why is there something rather then nothing? ;)
I asked an atheist friend this question. His answer went something like this: ''01=1, or, nothing to the power of 1 equals potential.'' What do I know? Am I a mathematician? This atheist went to the Sorbonne.

F&L
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
I asked an atheist friend this question. His answer went something like this: ''01=1, or, nothing to the power of 1 equals potential.'' What do I know? Am I a mathematician? This atheist went to the Sorbonne.

F&L
He probably said 00 = 1. http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10005.3-5.shtml

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:

F&L
He probably said 00 = 1. http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10005.3-5.shtml
Yes. And of course the answer to 00 is most certainly NOT = 1, it is undefined (indeterminate). It is the same as division by zero (basic arithmetic).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Byblos wrote:Yes. And of course the answer to 00 is most certainly NOT = 1, it is undefined (indeterminate). It is the same as division by zero (basic arithmetic).
But here's a curve ball, not all division by zero is indeterminate, in some very specific cases a value can be assumed (though not actually computed).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:He probably said 00 = 1. http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10005.3-5.shtml
<
Byblos wrote:Yes. And of course the answer to 00 is most certainly NOT = 1, it is undefined (indeterminate). It is the same as division by zero (basic arithmetic).
He probably said 10 now that I think of it...because that work better with what I remember him saying afterwards,
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote: ''01=1, or, nothing to the power of 1 equals potential.''
...although he must have said, ''Potential to the power of zero = 1'' (x0=1) He then went into a monologue where he tried to explain his idea but my eyes must have glazed over because I don't remember anything else.

Anyway...is his idea worth anything? It sounded like Soviet accounting to me.

F&L
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:He probably said 00 = 1. http://www.math.hmc.edu/funfacts/ffiles/10005.3-5.shtml
<
He probably said 10 now that I think of it...because that work better with what I remember him saying afterwards,
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote: ''01=1, or, nothing to the power of 1 equals potential.''
...although he must have said, ''Potential to the power of zero = 1'' (x0=1) He then went into a monologue where he tried to explain his idea but my eyes must have glazed over because I don't remember anything else.

Anyway...is his idea worth anything? It sounded like Soviet accounting to me.

F&L
10=1, nothing controversial about that. I think he was trying to be cute with 00=1 implying from nothing something comes. Except he's an idiot (mathematical or otherwise). Anything0=1 but there's an exception, that being 00=indeterminate, however, with its own exceptions. E.g. graphing the function x/y where x=y. On the diagonal line x=y the answer of the function x/y is always = 1 (1/1, 2/2, 3/3, etc). But what happens at the point of origin where both x and y = 0 (i.e. 0/0)? The answer is not indeterminate; in that particular case where x=y we can actually assume the answer is also = 1 in keeping with all other values along the same line.

Post edit: And if, by potential, he was talking about the limit of x as it approaches zero, the answer is still the same as above.

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Byblos wrote:Except he's an idiot (mathematical or otherwise).
An idiot?...no, he's an atheist. Ps14:1 doesn't apply because he has a few doctorates from the Sorbonne and is an editor for a sci-fi magazine. He doesn't earn any money from his job but lives thanks to his wife who goes to work and earns real money. It takes brains to get a woman to support you for 25+ years while you sit at home and do diddly-squat all day long. I'm not that smart. Are you?

Who's the idiot now???

F&L y@};-

+ + +

+ + +
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

I am finding myself like FL's posts. I apologise for that and normal service will be achieved as soon as humanly possible.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Byblos wrote:Except he's an idiot (mathematical or otherwise).
An idiot?...no, he's an atheist. doesn't apply because he has a few doctorates from the Sorbonne and is an editor for a sci-fi magazine. He doesn't earn any money from his job but lives thanks to his wife who goes to work and earns real money. It takes brains to get a woman to support you for 25+ years while you sit at home and do diddly-squat all day long. I'm not that smart. Are you?

Who's the idiot now???

F&L y@};-
I stand corrected, he's only a mathematical idiot :roll: . Although I do plan to retire soon on my wife's new business :wink: .

WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

Alright pop pop throw some more questions at me. Although I have found some good ones on the internet. :egeek:
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

WannaLearn wrote:Alright pop pop throw some more questions at me. Although I have found some good ones on the internet. :egeek:
such as?

#foreverinmyheart
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

you had a great one. Just looking for different kinds of questions.
What caused the universe to exist?
What explains the fine tuning of the universe?
Why is the universe rational?
How did DNA and amino acids arise?
Where did the genetic code come from?
How do irreducibly complex enzyme chains evolve?
How do we account for the origin of 116 distinct language families?
Why did cities suddenly appear all over the world between 3,000 and 1,000BC?
How is independent thought possible in a world ruled by chance and necessity?
How do we account for self-awareness?
How is free will possible in a material universe?
How do we account for conscience?
On what basis can we make moral judgements?
Why does suffering matter?
Why do human beings matter?
Why care about justice?
How do we account for the almost universal belief in the supernatural?
How do we know the supernatural does not exist?
How can we know if there is conscious existence after death?
What accounts for the empty tomb, resurrection appearances and growth of the church?

this is some stuff I found and thought were pretty good.

and I found some on here http://geekychristian.com/questions-for ... agnostics/