Atheist told me

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Bigburger
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Atheist told me

Post by Bigburger »

What I've been told was that the bible was a very, very old book, and that you should look at it more as a book of fables. That you shouldn't take the stories literal, but as stories that are supposed to teach something. They went into how stories get distorted over time as they are told over and over again by different people, and how the bible wasn't written at the time these things happened but generations later.

What would you say to that? How was the bible really brought up over time and how do we know its true? :roll: :roll:
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Atheist told me

Post by B. W. »

Bigburger wrote:What I've been told was that the bible was a very, very old book, and that you should look at it more as a book of fables. That you shouldn't take the stories literal, but as stories that are supposed to teach something. They went into how stories get distorted over time as they are told over and over again by different people, and how the bible wasn't written at the time these things happened but generations later.

What would you say to that? How was the bible really brought up over time and how do we know its true? :roll: :roll:
Well for starters, pleas read the articles concerning this subject on thisvery website and you might find your answer...

...and here is the link so you can start...

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... icity.html
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Bigburger
Acquainted Member

Post by Bigburger »

So...how/why is the Bible any better than any other work of divinity?
Bigburger
Acquainted Member

Post by Bigburger »

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/prophchr.html
How do you know that the prophecies really came true? I mean you can say they did and lie but many Atheist will just think the story was made up and then years later write down that it came true.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Bigburger wrote:So...how/why is the Bible any better than any other work of divinity?
There is no other written ''work of divinity''. The Bible is the only one. Are you asking, ''How do we know that the Bible is the Word of God''?
Bigburger wrote: How do you know that the prophecies really came true? I mean you can say they did and lie but many Atheist will just think the story was made up and then years later write down that it came true.
Have you read the link B.W. suggested?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Bigburger
Acquainted Member

Post by Bigburger »

cant seem to find my question on there.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Bigburger wrote:http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/prophchr.html
How do you know that the prophecies really came true? I mean you can say they did and lie but many Atheist will just think the story was made up and then years later write down that it came true.
One is the existence of a group of people - the Hebrew people - and Isaiah 11:11

Please read this article for further details.

http://www.jewishawareness.org/is-1948- ... -return-2/

Certain prophesies are beyond dispute due to Israel being regathered a second literal time and becoming a nation in one day in 1948. You can't say this could mean this or that - it doesn't. It is specific and rightfully so.

Next, were are the ancient Assyrian, Babylonians - their culture and religion today? No more, yet, the ancient Hebrew people - the Jewish people still exist, as does their religious beliefs nowadays w/out animal sacrifices (they are planning to restart them), and they are in their own nation again. That in itself speaks volumes on the bible reflecting God's words and truth to us.

You have a right to deny it and God even respect that kind of decision because he honors his gifts, callings, promises to humanity even when humanity abuses these and mock him - he still keeps his word. You can't go wrong with God who keeps his word, even at his own hurt, and went to great lengths to save a wayward humanity by showing how good overcomes evil which seeks to mock, ruin, kill good. In time, all will be right again but for now, we live with God's divine snap that will get rid of evil justly, rightly and yes, even fairly.

There is ample evidence within the bible to prove that prophecy was not an invention of cloudy sayings open to any interpretation , like Nostradamus's works are. They are often specific and when dealing with who and why Jesus came to earth at the time he did and do what He did - those prophecies are very telling revealing who, what and why Jesus and came and did what he did.

So for the atheist you mentioned, have them disprove the Jewish people being in the land of Israel - regathered a second time...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys