Noahs Ark

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Noahs Ark

Post by RickD »

FL wrote:
Nope. Gen 1:11 has complex plants appearing on the third day; the sun only was made on the fourth day. You need an Eraseable Bible to get around this. Evolution: Gen 1:21 - and in other places - says that creatures were created ''after their kind''...read all of Genesis 1 and pay special attention to this. Again, you'll need an Eraseable Bible or a very good imagination to fit Evolution into animals created ''after their kind.'' It is possible! ...some people read the future in tea leaves, after all!
FL,

This is what I'm seeing, and I think Daniel is seeing as well. The underlined of what you wrote. The bible doesn't say the sun was made on the fourth day. It says it appeared on the fourth day.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Philip wrote:Pretty smug and childish sendoff, Jac!

NO one cares about what you have to say until they know you CARE! Yep, being direct and speaking truth will offend people - but you can speak truth without being abrasive and offensive - or coming off like you always have the superior intellect or understanding.
What was "smug and childish"? The "sendoff" appears to be me saying that he proved my point. How is that smug when all I said is exactly the same thing to him that he said to me?
neo-x wrote:I don't see where Dan was personally attacking anyone (except in the last 2-3 posts and even there I think he thought he had reason to because he thought you were also being rude) and what I do know of him from interactions other than this board, he is a very nice guy and happens to get along with almost everyone.

This is sad guys.

And whats with the fruitcake meme running around...are we calling eachother that now?...this has to be controlled guys.

This whole theme of eraseable bibles implies that people who don't hold to one special dogma are inevitebly disrespecting scripture, this is too much guys...can we not move forward please. We are all brothers here.

I just don't know what to say to you guys, Fl and Jac...I have been guilty of being harsh and too academic in the past, being too dismissive, didn't earn me any points really. I just lost friends. He called you rude and you said words quite insulting also when you said their view is just basless drivel and Danielism, thats insulting too or that some beleiver who does not agree to your view should have an eraseable bible. The church has been divided for centuries, its simply not ok to think only one of us got it right 100%. These things may be written with mild harmless motivations but they do hurt peoples' faith at times.

please lets be more open to each other.

Dan, take some time off if you have too...come back though because we're gonna miss you. Heck, if I can change your mind about leaving, then please don't leave.
I think you misread a lot of the thread. I don't think anyone thinks Dan is anything other than a nice guy, although he admitted that threads like this bring out the "worst" in him. The personal attack I cited was the genetic fallacy. All genetic fallacies are, by definition, examples of ad hominemns. If he or you or anyone else doesn't like the fact that YECs are going to make YEC arguments and if youa are all going to get offended by such things, the problem, frankly, is on your end. And your attempts to stifle debate by complaining about feelings is more postmodern drivel.

And "drivel" is the appropriate word. It means "senseless talk," and that is precisely what all postmodern "thought" is. Phillip can toss around cliches about people not caring, but I'd much rather them care about their own intellectual honesty than what I think or don't think about anything. The assumption in all this is that I think any of you care what I think. I truly don't. I think that some of you might respect some perspective I have on this or that issue given a demonstrated level of study, but your ideas are yours and not mine. I'm under no illusion to the contrary. But I'm not under the illusion, either, that we can all sit around and sing kumbaya when people are being nonsensical with one another. We are certainly to speak the truth in love, but that requires speaking the truth, and speaking truth requires it exist, not making postmodern idiotic arguments that presume its nonexistence.
RickD wrote:
FL wrote:
Nope. <a class="rtBibleRef" href="http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Gen%201.11" data-reference="Gen 1.11" data-version="nasb95" data-purpose="bible-reference">Gen 1:11</a> has complex plants appearing on the third day; the sun only was made on the fourth day. You need an Eraseable Bible to get around this. Evolution: <a class="rtBibleRef" href="http://biblia.com/bible/nasb95/Gen%201.21" data-reference="Gen 1.21" data-version="nasb95" data-purpose="bible-reference">Gen 1:21</a> - and in other places - says that creatures were created ''after their kind''...read all of Genesis 1 and pay special attention to this. Again, you'll need an Eraseable Bible or a very good imagination to fit Evolution into animals created ''after their kind.'' It is possible! ...some people read the future in tea leaves, after all!
FL,

This is what I'm seeing, and I think Daniel is seeing as well. The underlined of what you wrote. The bible doesn't say the sun was made on the fourth day. It says it appeared on the fourth day.
Actually, the text doesn't say the sun appeared on the fourth day. That's an OEC interpretation, but I emphasize, that is not what the text SAYS. In fact, not even Deem makes that claim. He says:
  • "Let there be" is an unusual way to describe de novo creation (see also verse 1:3). I believe that at this point God removed the translucent cloud cover from the planet to allow the stars, moon, and Sun to be seen from the surface of the earth (the frame of reference of all Genesis 1).
In fact, what the text SAYS is this:
  • 1:14 Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days and years;
    1:15 and let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth ";and it was so.
    1:16 And God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also.
    1:17 And God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth,
    1:18 and to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good.
    1:19 And there was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.
The phrase "let there be," contra Deem, is not an odd way "to desecribe de novo creation." I would have to ask what is a good way to describe de novo creation? With "bara"? But that only occurs in 1:1, in 1:21 (describing whales), and 1:26 (describing people).

Anyway, the "appeared" argument is just an interpretation. Maybe right, but like the local flood stuff, I don't see any linguistic warrant for it. In fact, if you are going to insist on it, it seems very much like there was NO de novo creation of anything except the universe (presumably in the Big Bang), mankind, and whales.

y:-?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

Jac3510 wrote:And you just proved mine!

:wave:
haha ya your not arrogant at all y/:)
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

Jac3510 wrote:
WannaLearn wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:I appreciate the question, but let me ask you one back, though. How much looking have you done into the matter? I ask because when you so bluntly declare that there is no evidence, that implies that you are done a rather exhaustive search. But in light of that, your question doesn't sound so forthright. I have a strong suspicion that were I to offer some rather common examples, you would move the goalposts.

If you want to have an honest discussion about some of the evidence and why you do or don't think it lines up with a global flood, then just say so plainly. Having hidden agendas lying behind questions isn't conducive do constructive conversation.

I would like you to address the tone in your post. You just declare that there is no evidence for a global flood and then just declare that several components of such a flood are impossible in principle. I'm sure you can hear the less than charitable implications you are directing towards advocates of a global flood. Perhaps it was unintended. But perhaps it wasn't.

What say you, WannaLearn?
Sounds good. And I asked the question that way to see how one would defend their stance and or breakdown that statement.
I have not done much research on the evidence of the flood so convincing me probably wont be that hard. y>:D<
Well I should hope it's not easy to convince you, especially if by "evidence" you are referring to scientific data. Lord have mercy, in that case, you'll be changing your mind about what you believe every other day.

As far as evidence goes, the most important is:
  • For forty days the flood kept coming on the earth, and as the waters increased they lifted the ark high above the earth. The waters rose and increased greatly on the earth, and the ark floated on the surface of the water. They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered. The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits. (Gen. 7:17-20, NIV)
Now, OEC advocates and most of the people on this site will argue that the flood was local. Therefore, they will challenge the translation of "earth" and "high mountains" and suggest that they be rendered "land" and "high hills" respectively, such that only the area in which they lived was in view. You can see that argument in some detail here:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html

Let me say a bit as to why I think their linguistic arguments fail.

First, as an appeal to authority, I would point out that absolutely no major English translation renders the words in question as local flood advocates insist. That should tell you something. Go check for yourself. Look at the KJV, NKJV, NIV, ESV, NASB, HCSB, RSV, NRSV, ASV, and NET. The only exception is the KJV/NKJV which render 19 "high hills," but the very next verse renders it "mountains," and it is the same underlying Hebrew word (Har, if you want to know). Just because a word can be translated this or that way, it doesn't follow that we should. It is absolutely terrible translation to provide a translation based on convenience for a preexisting view you are trying to defend.

Second, the evidence put forward for the alternative translation is incredibly weak. Take, for instance, the idea that Kol HaAretz ("all the earth") can be translated "all the people." In the first place, there are no instances in the Pentateuch I have seen where such a translation is appropriate. We don't get a clear example of that usage until 1 Samuel. Second, there are many, many instances of the phrase throughout the Pentateuch, and they almost always refer to the entire earth. Even the examples Deem cites (2:11 and 2:13) are not the same phrase in question. He doesn't tell his readers that, of course. Our phrase is, again, Kol [all] Ha-[the] Aretz [earth]. The phrase in Deem's verses is Kol [all] Eretz [earth/land] of Havilah/Cush. So the phrase in Gen. 7 includes the article ("Ha"), and the two "exceptions" in Gen. 2 lack that article and include a geographical modifier. It would be stupid to translate Gen. 2:13 "all the earth of cush."

But there is still more linguistic evidence for the standard English translations. When God first introduces the fact that He is going to flood the "earth," He pairs it with "the heavens" (Gen. 6:17). That is a clear allusion back to Gen 1:1. Further, in both Greek and Hebrew, one of the ways to clarify one's meaning and one's emphasis is by repetition of words and phrases. That makes for bad English but for great Greek and Hebrew. The rule is that the more often a word or phrase is used, the more the author wants you to see that is a very important idea. With that rule in mind, consider the distribution of the word Kol (all). I did a quick search and found that it occurs in 82 verses in Gen 1-11. Here's the breakdown:

Gen 1 - 7 verses (Gen 1:21, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 31)
Gen 2 - 11 verses (Gen 2:1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 9, 11, 13, 16, 19, 20)
Gen 3 - 4 verses (Gen 3:1, 14, 17, 20)
Gen 4 - 4 verses (Gen 4:14, 15, 21, 22)
Gen 5 - 9 verses (Gen 5:5, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 23, 27, 31)
Gen 6 - 9 verses (Gen 6:2, 5, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22)
Gen 7 - 14 verses (Gen 7:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 14, 15, 16, 19, 21, 22, 23)
Gen 8 - 6 verses (Gen 8:1, 9, 17, 19, 20, 21)
Gen 9 - 11 verses (Gen 9:2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 19, 29)
Gen 10 - 2 verses (Gen 10:21, 29)
Gen 11 - 5 verses (Gen 11:1, 4, 6, 8, 9)

Just a comparison of the numbers is revealing. It occurs in Gen 7 more than any other chapter, and in Gen 9 second only to 7 and tied for second with 2. In fact, of the 82 verses total, 31 of the occurrences (about 38%) of the word are found in Gen 7-9. That is significant in light of the fact that out of the the total 298 verses in Gen 1-11, Gen 7-9 contains 74 verses or 25% of the total verses. So why does a section containing only 25% of the whole text contain nearly 40% of all the occurrences of "kol." And this is all the more outstanding that between Gen. 6:17-7:24 (which accounts for the actual story of the act of the flooding of the earth) contain 19 occurrences. That is, out of 29 verses, the word Kol is found in 19 of them--that's an astounding 65%! By comparison, consider the percentage of verses using Kol vs total verses in each of the rest of the chapters: Gen 1 - 22%; Gen 2 - 44%; Gen 3 -17%; Gen 4 - 15%; Gen 5 - 28%; Gen 6:1-16 - 25%; Gen 6:17-7:24 - 65%; Gen 8 - 27%; Gen 9 - 39%; Gen 10 - 6%; Gen 11 - 16%.

Those numbers should speak for themselves. The part of the story where the flooding happens has a WAY higher percentage of the use of the word "kol" that anywhere else in Gen 1-11. What all this tells us is that Moses is saying as emphatically as he knows how that the Flood was absolutely UNIVERSAL.

The last thing I'd note goes back to the passage I quoted above. The Flood covered all the high hills/mountains under heaven. There's no getting around that point. Even if you take Har to refer to hills (and no translation does except the (N)KJV, and then it immediately translates it "mountains" as well), the fact remains that the text is in error if only the "high hills" in "the land" were covered, because there are lots of high hills not in "the land" that are "under heaven."

So the bottom line is that there is just no good linguistic argument for reading Gen 6-9 as teaching a local flood. The ONLY way to get there is to start with the idea that it MUST have been local and then look for alternative translations by which we can justify our preexisting beliefs. That, however, is standard eisogesis, and is simply not to be taken seriously. Put differently, there is absolutely NO warrant in Gen 1-11 for reading the text to teach a local flood, but there is significant warrant for taking it to teach a universal flood.

Beyond the biblical evidence, I'm tired of typing, so I'll just refer you to these two videos of an Andrew Snelling (who holds a PhD in geology and is widely published, which is only to say that he can't be accused of ignorance on scientific matters). He works for AiG, which will, of course, make him anathema on this board, but genetic fallacies aside, you might find his arguments interesting:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwGgSNDPhO0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMSSwoJFq-8[/youtube]
s
That makes good sense but i have also seen good stuff from both sides. Scripture does seem to support both also.
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:You just proved my point. :shakehead:

Like so many before me, my time on this board is done.
awww come on bro dont leave. :esad:
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

WannaLearn wrote:haha ya your not arrogant at all y/:)
No more than the person who said exactly the same thing to me. Your selectivity in criticism could be easily misinterpreted, you know . . .
WannaLearn wrote:That makes good sense but i have also seen good stuff from both sides. Scripture does seem to support both also.
People on both sides certainly cite Scripture, I can grant that. I do not grant, however, that Scripture supports a local flood. Just because people point to Scripture it doesn't mean that they are doing so with any rational warrant. JWs point to Scripture to prove that the Watchtower is the only authoritative body. Catholics point to Scripture to prove the validity of the Pope. Calvinists point to Scripture to prove their view of election, and Arminians the opposing view.

The question, again, is what we have biblical warrant for upholding. Claiming that a translation is possible is absolutely unrelated to the question of whether or not a translation is preferable. Yes, "gar" can be translated "land" and "har" hill. But should they be in Genesis 6-9? I have not seen anyone present any evidence that it should be, and the arguments Deem puts forward have extremely obvious flaws.

Look, I used to be OEC (well, OEC leaning--OEC with reservations I couldn't figure out) and argued in favor of a local flood. But the bottom line for me was that I couldn't find it in Scripture. I could, and can, see how OEC people can make read Scripture so that it is consistent with their preexisting beliefs. I cannot see how you can get OEC out of the text on its own terms. Some other readers here can tell you that is my beef with a lot of theological interpretations, not just this one. I've accused Catholics of not believing what the Bible says but instead using the Bible as a sourcebook of theological quotes that they can use to illustrate their theology, which they get from somewhere else entirely (in their case, tradition). And precisely the same issue is in play here. I accuse local flood advocates of not believing what the Bible says but instead using the Bible as a sourcebook of theological quotes that they can use to illustrate their theology, which they get from somewhere else entirely (in their case, modern science). And that is what I get accused of being arrogant for?

As I said before, puh-leez. If the local flood theory is true, you should be able to show not merely that the text can be read that way, but you should be able to show that it ought to be read that way, that the text itself insists it be read that way. That is precisely what YEC/global flood advocates do. So our "sin" of being "arrogant" is really nothing more than following the same hermeneutic we apply to EVERY OTHER PART OF Scripture. But when that hermeneutic goes against their precious theory, we get labeled bullies and arrogant and all other such names. It's really despicable, but it passes on this board. Frequently. I've complained about it for years, and for years I've noted the selective outrage. Local flood advocates just don't have the text behind them, and rather than being wiling to argue on those grounds, they employ the same postmodern tactics they berate others for in other contexts. And THAT is why I said from the beginning all this is postmodern drivel. That's what it is.

*shrug*
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I really enjoy the YEC vs. OEC dialog over the age of the earth and universe, as long as it remains civil. It's fascinating. But it truly doesn't matter HOW LONG/HOW OLD, etc. SOMEHOW, the Bible is true - THAT matters. It is God's Word to man. And whether ancient or more recent, it really doesn't matter. And until God creates and begins interacting with Adam, how he prepared the earth and how long he took doing so doesn't change anything FOR US. As we are all descendants of Adam, we would be here in this exact moment no matter. What really should matter to us is we believe Scripture to be true in this matter, that we all need a Savior. And I can guarantee no YEC or OEC here knows how long ago Adam lived - so, does it matter? Not many debate over THAT period of time, it's always the segmented lengths of time before that rages the debate. God is an Eternal Being, for Whom time is but a tool in how He unfolds history per His purposes. What are 13 billion years to Him - it's nothing that controls Him, He controls it. Think of the vast eternity BEFORE God began creating our universe. And here we are, so often bitterly fighting over the time issue.

I can see how OECs see many, many parameters of measurement and analysis that appears to reveal an ancient universe and earth. I can see why they see that Scripture may well reasonably allow for such an old age. They see that unless scientific observations are tremendously wrong, then Genesis must be speaking of long periods of time/"days." But while YECs also typically appeal to science, which is often their zeal. So how does believing that the universe is very young relate to convincing OTHERS to believe Scripture is true or to follow it? Why would anyone believe that whether you scientifically believe the Creation accounts are speaking of literal days or long periods of time make one any more spiritual or "authentic" in their spiritual walk, just because they have the correct Scriptural understanding over the time issue? Are OECs any more special if THEIR Scriptural understandings are more accurate? No! AS this true for neither group. And both Christian OECs and YECs typically believe that God indeed made something where before there was nothing, that He is responsible for all, that we need Jesus for salvation. So what I'm not getting is the rancor and ill will over this issue.

I will say this: IF the earth is as young as YECs often say it is, then this means that the analysis and measurements on many, many parameters are incredibly wrong - and not just by a little, but by over 13 billion years wrong. And as so many measurements and observations line up with an old earth and universe - IF these happen to be so very wrong - then I can only conclude that God doesn't WANT us to pay attention to the science and/or that He doesn't want us to know these are old but for some reason wants us to scientifically PERCEIVE that they are. God is the One Whom gave us the ability to do scientific analysis, He is the One Whom said that His creation is another testimony to Himself. So why would He hide from us or keep us from knowing the truth of this matter - as He is the One Whom gave us science, our technical abilities, our insatiable curiosity, etc. He knew and made possible for us to study the world through the scientific method. So why does the creation APPEAR old, on SO MANY detailed parameters - why would God not make it OBVIOUS if that this is the case IF it were not?

As a believer in OEC/Progressive creation, if I could know for certain that Scripture was speaking of a very young/recent creation, it would not change anything about how powerful and miraculous I think God is, or take any wonder away from what I think about what He has done. And I remain uncertain as to whether high expertise in Hebrew, the original audience's context, and how it was written can PROVE the age issue, one way or another. I can see why each group believes as they do. But I remain unconvinced that either group has perfectly figured it out. They both appeal to science and Scripture. Is evidence for a very young earth skewed by Noah's Flood? That can't be proven by science. It's a theoretical with many apparent contradictions. So isn't it just far simplier to not get to hung up on the TIME LENGTH of creation - to the point where it becomes disruptive argument? So funny that YECs appeal to science just as much as OECs do. Do they think that they can convince people that Scripture is true if they can, initially, only convince them via scientific understandings?

Again, I think just adopting the view that Scripture is true in this matter is enough. And it's important to realize that there is more than one possibility of how that works out scientifically. As on the time issue, we've either misunderstood Scripture or our analysis, evidences and science aren't correct. And maybe a bit of both? y:-?
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Do we want to be one body or a bunch of individuals?

---

14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot says, “Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason [k]any the less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear says, “Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body,” it is not for this reason [l]any the less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. 19 If they were all one member, where would the body be? 20 But now there are many members, but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; or again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” 22 On the contrary, [m]it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary; 23 and those members of the body which we [n]deem less honorable, [o]on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable, 24 whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, 25 so that there may be no [p]division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is [q]honored, all the members rejoice with it.

27 Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it. 28 And God has [r]appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. 29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of [t]miracles, are they? 30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? 31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts.

And I show you a still more excellent way.

13 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body [a]to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of [c]prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. 11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I [d]became a man, I did away with childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror [e]dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. 13 But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the [f]greatest of these is love.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Jac3510 wrote:
neo-x wrote:I don't see where Dan was personally attacking anyone (except in the last 2-3 posts and even there I think he thought he had reason to because he thought you were also being rude) and what I do know of him from interactions other than this board, he is a very nice guy and happens to get along with almost everyone.

This is sad guys.

And whats with the fruitcake meme running around...are we calling eachother that now?...this has to be controlled guys.

This whole theme of eraseable bibles implies that people who don't hold to one special dogma are inevitebly disrespecting scripture, this is too much guys...can we not move forward please. We are all brothers here.

I just don't know what to say to you guys, Fl and Jac...I have been guilty of being harsh and too academic in the past, being too dismissive, didn't earn me any points really. I just lost friends. He called you rude and you said words quite insulting also when you said their view is just basless drivel and Danielism, thats insulting too or that some beleiver who does not agree to your view should have an eraseable bible. The church has been divided for centuries, its simply not ok to think only one of us got it right 100%. These things may be written with mild harmless motivations but they do hurt peoples' faith at times.

please lets be more open to each other.

Dan, take some time off if you have too...come back though because we're gonna miss you. Heck, if I can change your mind about leaving, then please don't leave.
I think you misread a lot of the thread. I don't think anyone thinks Dan is anything other than a nice guy, although he admitted that threads like this bring out the "worst" in him. The personal attack I cited was the genetic fallacy. All genetic fallacies are, by definition, examples of ad hominemns. If he or you or anyone else doesn't like the fact that YECs are going to make YEC arguments and if youa are all going to get offended by such things, the problem, frankly, is on your end. And your attempts to stifle debate by complaining about feelings is more postmodern drivel.

And "drivel" is the appropriate word. It means "senseless talk," and that is precisely what all postmodern "thought" is. Phillip can toss around cliches about people not caring, but I'd much rather them care about their own intellectual honesty than what I think or don't think about anything. The assumption in all this is that I think any of you care what I think. I truly don't. I think that some of you might respect some perspective I have on this or that issue given a demonstrated level of study, but your ideas are yours and not mine. I'm under no illusion to the contrary. But I'm not under the illusion, either, that we can all sit around and sing kumbaya when people are being nonsensical with one another. We are certainly to speak the truth in love, but that requires speaking the truth, and speaking truth requires it exist, not making postmodern idiotic arguments that presume its nonexistence.
Jac, I'm really not offended that you choose to defend or argue for Yec, sure go ahead.

I intervened so that Dan would not leave, I don't see how that stifled the debate, you had already ended it. And really I don't mind singing kumbaya with you even if I find yec quite wrong, the arguments quite unintelligent, contrary to factual evidence etc. because YOU, THE PERSON matters more. I would rather have you with disagreement than to speak the "truth" to you while also not being "nice and non-confrontational". Really, because in this instance what that approach has resulted in is quite clear and I doubt it conveyed the message you were trying to convey.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Actually, Dan ended the debate long before. I stated a case for YEC and he wrote it off as dogmatism and refused to engage further. He used quite a bit of extremely rude language (I certainly never called OEC a "fruitcake" interpretation), accused me of being rude, and then quit.

I'm sorry if some people here don't like the fact that I'm not going to take responsibility for his actions.

The most "offensive" thing I said was true. Postmodern drivel is postmodern drivel. The idea that we can't know what is true because other people disagree is patently absurd. To insist that something is just an interpretation is trite and trivial, a red herring at best. I hold you all to precisely the same standards I hold myself. The question is what we are warranted to say that the text says. If you can make your argument from the text, then make it. That's how I make mine. If you disagree, then show me where my interpretation of the text is wrong. And if you don't think I'm wrong in my interpretation of the text but instead simply reject the text, then just be man (or woman) enough to say so. Quit dancing around the edges of things. I just want some honesty in our discussions.

You say you care more about people. I think you're setting up a false dichotomy. We don't have to choose between truth and people. And when we get sooooooooooo worried about what people might think about our arguments that we don't make them or don't point out where we think the flaws are in their arguments, not only are we not doing them any good, but in fact we are allowing ourselves to be pushed around. We are taking on their anxieties, and that, theologically speaking, is a terrible thing to do. You own your anxieties. I own mine. I can help you share yours. I can bear burdens with you. But I'm not going to hold your position for you so that you feel better about whatever is you are struggling with (and the "you" is generic here, neo).

Daniel wanted to complain about my people skills. He's got it exactly backwards. What he didn't like was the fact that I'm not going to play that game. It is absolutely typical. I can't tell you how many times I've come across it. I can't tell you how much literature there is written on it. Really, we live in a culture where we think we are doing each other good by pretending like things are okay when they are not, and all we are doing is contributing to systemtic failure. Far better is to be like Jesus. Hold our positions openly and honestly. And I promise you this: when you do that, and when you refuse to get roped in to someone else's anxiety, it will make them mad. They will attack you. They will attempt to force you to take on the anxiety to restablize the system. Anything to make sure that they don't have to do it themselves.

It's just the way people and systems work. Jesus didn't play that game. I've been learning not to do it either. You are free to hold your positions. The difference in me and some others on this board is that I encourage you to hold them openly, honestly, proudly, and without apology. Of all the things I may hold against you, the last thing will be an honestly held position. And in the process of doing so, you'll finally be able to get past thse postmodern self-destructive habits we've grown accustomed to in which we're not allowed to state the truth as best we understand it because someone else might call us a bully.

As I said before . . .

Puh-leez.

Postmodern drivel. All of it. :shakehead:
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

What to say?

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
I believe it was local, check the main site for why they think the Bible says it's local.

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... flood.html
Jac, what is your opinion on the things stated in the link?

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Honestly jac, I have seen quite the opposite. In my own family people are quite set in their intellectual honesty and open about their positions so much that it simply divided them. There is a line where I choose to drop the position and choose the person because sometimes this is the only choice.

IF I recall correctly, dan said yec interpretation was no better than any other,... that may offend your personal conclusions on the matter but really what is to be done here? You already know that I agree with you on this and have said this many times before that whether i agree or not, the Bible seems to be consistent with yec, and I agree that the text warrants the global flood.

Jac, did you ask dan why he called you rude out of the blue? Did he misread you?

Please, I am not trying to lay blame jac, I just wish these kind of things could be sorted out.

Beyond this I really don't know what to say, even after what you said I wish things could be different, anyway I can't out reason with what you have written. The thing is there are people out there who really don't take positions as sternly as we may do. That is a fact. They may dance around as long as they feel comfortable with.

I am quite aware that yec is often mocked around and I am sorry that you have had to go through that. We should be more accommodating. I understand your stance, and I get where you are coming from jac. I just think not everyone agrees with our truth, the same way. I am sure, me you dan all agree on the basis of faith. Genesis doesn't enjoy this unity, and truth it may be, I really don't think that truth should divide us, i am happy to live and let live. Sure I take exceptions but itscon rare issues.

I apologize jac, I am sorry if I seem too forward, the fact is i am sad with the outcome of the thread.
I love you the same way i love dan, and truth be told i would have done the same had it been the other way around, you leaving and all... So please don't misunderstand my intentions here.

My conclusion is both of you thought that the other was rude and insulting. *sighs* my regret is that I didn't step in earlier.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

neo-x wrote:Honestly jac, I have seen quite the opposite. In my own family people are quite set in their intellectual honesty and open about their positions so much that it simply divided them. There is a line where I choose to drop the position and choose the person because sometimes this is the only choice.
But was it the differing of opinion that divided or something else? For instance, suppose my wife and I are talking and I insist that Obama is the greatest president ever and she insists he is Satan incarnate. That situation is obviously ripe to create a serious rift between us, isn't it? But what's to stop either one of us from saying, "Well I appreciate that you hold that so strongly. Of course, I don't agree with your reasoning, but none of that changes the fact that I love you," and moving on?

The point I'm making is that difference of opinion is never enough to cause division. It is when I take some deep, personal offense to your disagreement that division results. Maybe my wife would be willing to give that speech to me, but maybe under it all I believe that if her disagreement with me really means that something is wrong with me, so I keep the fight going. I feel like I have to change her mind to justify myself! So the problem here is really with me, not with our disagreement.

That's just the way that it is here. To emphasize, I'm not at all saying that being honset about our positions prevents division. What I am saying is that being honest about our opinions is prerequisite to preventing division. Because otherwise all we are doing is pretending there are no divisions where they really exist. And if we pretend nothing is wrong when there really is, I can absolutely guarantee you those problems will just surface somewhere else. So better to deal with them here and now.
IF I recall correctly, dan said yec interpretation was no better than any other,... that may offend your personal conclusions on the matter but really what is to be done here? You already know that I agree with you on this and have said this many times before that whether i agree or not, the Bible seems to be consistent with yec, and I agree that the text warrants the global flood.
It truly doesn't offend me, if that's the word that you were after. Granted, I disagree with him. I would ask him about his assertion and try to see if it was warranted. I would state my case clearly. He would, of course, have every right to respond and disagree. He would have every right to not respond. That's up to him. But, no, it wouldn't offend me in the slightest. You are a theistic evolutionist. We disagree very strongly on that, but it doesn't offend me in the least. I can lay out all my reasons why I think that's an incorrect position, and in the end, I have to leave that to you.

I mean this very sincerely: my comfort level in my own beliefs isn't affected by how many people do or don't agree with me.

That may sound arrogant to some, but it's not. It's just me saying that I know what I believe and why. I'm not saying that I don't like the feeling of people agreeing with me. I'm human. Of course I like affirmation! I'm not saying I don't dislike it when people disagree. I'm human. Of course I don't like disagreement! But neither affirmation nor rejection affects my own comfort level of my own positions.

So what is to be done? Just what I am prescribing. State our positions openly, honestly, and even bluntly. And while we're at it, stop trying to take on other people's anxieties about their own positions for them. And stop trying to give other people our own anxieties. You own yours. I'll own mine. And here's they key: in the midst of all of this, be willing to give other people grace when they think we are wrong. We can state our disagreement with their disagreement, but Lord have mercy, what does any of that have to do with our fellowship or ability to get along?!?
Jac, did you ask dan why he called you rude out of the blue? Did he misread you?
Yes, he misread me. But I honestly can't take much responsibility for that. I tried to be as clear as I could. I repeatedly stated that what I was saying wasn't personal, that it wasn't meant to be rude, that it wasn't condescending. I was simply calling things as I saw them. What am I supposed to do . . . call them in a way I don't see them? That's what I meant by stifling debate. When someone comes in and says, "You can argue your position, but just so long as this isn't your position!"
Please, I am not trying to lay blame jac, I just wish these kind of things could be sorted out.
I know, and I appreciate that, truly. I wish they could be, too. But, to continue to press my argument, sometimes things can't be sorted out, because in order to do so, I would have to take your anxiety on myself. That sounds like a nice Christian thing to do up front, but that really doesn't solve anything. All it does is put off talking about the real problem, and in the meantime, it will just fester somewhere else. Things can only be sorted out when we all decide to deal with our own stuff and quit insisting on other people doing it for us.
Beyond this I really don't know what to say, even after what you said I wish things could be different, anyway I can't out reason with what you have written. The thing is there are people out there who really don't take positions as sternly as we may do. That is a fact. They may dance around as long as they feel comfortable with.
Sadly true on all counts. Look, I don't take any pleasure in Dan getting upset. I wish he wouldn't. I hope he comes back. Truly! I absolutely mean that. I'm just saying that is his issue.
I am quite aware that yec is often mocked around and I am sorry that you have had to go through that. We should be more accommodating. I understand your stance, and I get where you are coming from jac. I just think not everyone agrees with our truth, the same way. I am sure, me you dan all agree on the basis of faith. Genesis doesn't enjoy this unity, and truth it may be, I really don't think that truth should divide us, i am happy to live and let live. Sure I take exceptions but itscon rare issues.
I do find it unfortunate that YEC is so demeaned around here. I have complained about that repeatedly--not so much about the rejection fo the position as the character attacks upon which most of the "arguments" tend to be based. I appreciate your acknowledging it (as far as the position itself goes--I don't know if you acknowledge the character-assault part, so I don't want you to feel like I'm putting words in your mouth). On the flip side, I can sympathize with you a bit there because I know that theistic evolution (which I do happen to think is more acceptable on this board than YEC) has been pretty harshly demeaned at times, too.

I would only emphasize that my complaint isn't that anyone disagrees with any position. It is that we have to act as if we're not allowed to disagree. Certainly, we pay lipservice to the idea that disagreement is allowed. But within a few minutes of such comments people start calling each other bullies and accusing each other of telling them what they really believe, that so and so is "just your interpretation," yada yada yada.

If you look at it, it is really just a very insidious way of shutting down the debate! It is saying, "Sure, let's debate this, but don't get personal. HEY STOP IT YOU BULLY, THAT'S OFFENSIVE. SEE I'M GETTING OFFENDED SO WE NEED TO SHUT THIS DEBATE DOWN!!!111!1" It's clearly more subtle than that, but that's what it boils down to. And that's why I said that I'm not playing the game anymore. I'm just going to identify the problem where it really is.
I apologize jac, I am sorry if I seem too forward, the fact is i am sad with the outcome of the thread.
I love you the same way i love dan, and truth be told i would have done the same had it been the other way around, you leaving and all... So please don't misunderstand my intentions here.

My conclusion is both of you thought that the other was rude and insulting. *sighs* my regret is that I didn't step in earlier.
I don't disagree with any of that.

God bless! :)

Hana, I'll offer my comments on Rich's article later this evening.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Hana, I just found that I actually have addressed that article before. I totally forgot about it, haha! I'll give the link and then paste it all here, too:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 359#p57359

---------------------------------------------------

I was trying to keep my nose out of this, but it got the best of me. Ok, local flood or not, Rich's article doesn't make sense.

Pslam 104
It is debatable whether or not this is a "creation psalm." But even if it is, it is not true that "a global interpretation of the Genesis flood requires that certain non-flood-related verses of the Bible contradict each other." Ps. 104:9, along with 33:6-7; Pro. 8:29; and Job 38:4, 8 can all rightly be taken to be general references to God's power in the act of creation. In biblical times, the sea was thought to be uncontrollable, so if anyone could control it, they were truly powerful indeed. To say that PS. 104 means that the sea can "never again" cross its "boundaries" is taking it far beyond its intended meaning. Indeed, if Rich is going to be consistent, he has to recognize that the ocean has changed boundaries many times. Every day, every year, it changes its boundaries through natural processes.

Kol erets translated as "whole land"
On one hand, Rich is absolutely correct here. The Hebrew words kol erets can be translated as "the whole land." But there are a few problems with this statement. First, as Rich himself notes, "of the 205 instance of kol erets in the Old Testament, it might refer to the entire planet just 40 times." So, beyond the simple fact that kol erets can be properly translated "entire earth," there are instances in the Bible where it does just that. So, we have both a semantic possibility as well as a semantic precedent. Secondly, the word kol is used emphatically, and this must be true whether or not the flood is local or global. Ask yourself, what is the difference between saying, "The flood covered the land/earth" and "The flood covered the entire land/earth"? It is one of emphasis. Now, the noun in question is not kol ("all"), but rather erets ("earth/land"). And is there a place in the context where erets refers to the entire planet? Genesis 1:1. If, then, Rich wants to be consistent, he should take erets in 1:1 to be the land as well as in the flood account.

He, and others, will rightly point out that we can determine from the context that erets must be taken in 1:1 to be the entire planet. Thus, he will agree with the standard rule of all hermeneutics that a word's meaning must be determined by its context. In that case, we should ask ourselves if the context indicates the earth or the land. We'll take up his arguments for the latter below and note, in passing, that arguments for the former should be considered on their own merits.

Tebel as "Entire Earth"
Rich's argument that the word tebel "always refers to the entire earth or the entire inhabited earth" and thus would have been a better word to use falls on two grounds. First, it is an argument from silence. All agree that erets both can and often does refer to the earth. In fact, had Moses used tebel here, any right thinking scholar would question whether or not one of the meanings within tebel's semantic range wasn't "land"! The second point is more simple: the word only occurs in the poetic texts, and thus is not expected in Genesis 1-11. Moreso, Moses never uses it. In fact, he never even uses the root that the word comes from! So to ask him to use it here is simply inappropriate.

Beyond that, Rich comes dangerously close to either being factually wrong or misleading. While he does note that it can refer to the "entire inhabited earth," he is wrong that it must refer to the entire inhabited earth. It can, in fact, simply refer to countries. So the TWOT states:
  • Tebel is sometimes limited to "countries" or "the inhabitable world." This meaning is more closely related to the root meaning. It refers to the world where crops are raised. This is observed in the judgment message against the king of Babylon (not Satan) for violently shaking the "world" or "inhabitable world" (Isa 13:11); 14:17). Lightning is said to enlighten the "world"--undoubtedly referring to a limited land area (Ps 77:18; 97:4)
Not, then, to belabor the point, but tebel would have been an inappropriate choice for several reasons. Its lack-of-usage cannot be construed to be evidence for a local flood nor can it be argued that it would have been a better word choice to convey the meaning of "entire planet."

Erets as "Land"--contextual considerations
Rich cites three passages in which erets must be translated "land" as a contextual basis to understand the flood as local: 6:11, 12; 9:13. Concerning 6:11:
  • Now the earth was corrupt in the sight of God, and the earth was filled with violence.
It is interesting he would take the first as "land" and not the second, even though they are both the same word. I, for one, have absolutely no problem taking the first erets to be "earth," especially given the meaning of "corrupt" (to be spoiled). Given the fact that mankind was to rule over the earth (erets), and given the fact that the erets was filled with man's violence--especially that this second instance certainly does refer to, if nothing else, the entire inhabited earth (tebel, anyone!?), there is no reason not to take the first instance in the same way.

Verse 12 just restates the previous verse, so it does no good to appeal to it.

9:13 is interesting--or, at least Rich's take on it is. Without going into too much detail, Rich agrees that the flood was universal in the sense that it killed all of humanity. It seems rather hollow, then, for God to make this grand promise not to kill everyone with a flood again if He is not capable of doing so because He had already declared that to be impossible at the Creation event (Ps 104, according to Rich). If, though, you take the "earth" to refer to the entire earth, as it traditionally is, then the passage makes perfect sense.

ALL <> ALL
"It is clear from the text that "all flesh" did not actually refer to all flesh, since there was at least one exception." Now he's just grasping at straws. Just earlier, Rich himself argued that the flood was universal in that it killed all people. "God's judgment of humans was universal (with the exception of Noah and his family)." Further, according to Rich's standard, the local flood contradicts itself just as well as the global flood does:
  • And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die. (Gen. 6:17)
Noah was certainly flesh, so why wasn't he killed? Because he was an exception? Then there is no reason to deny that possibility to the global interpretation, either.

Fifteen cubits of water
This is my favorite part. Rich says:
  • In reality, the Hebrew word ma‛al, translated "higher" really means "upward." So, in essence, the text is saying that the flood was 15 cubits (20 feet) deep, in total, not 15 cubits above the mountains.
Does Rich REALLY want us to believe that a 20 FOOT FLOOD KILLED EVERYONE? Would that level of flood have even been enough to get a 4.5 story high ark off of the ground? Besides that, 20 feet up from what? From sea level? That would't work. Here's a topographic map of Iraq, the area that the people likely lived:

Notice that the land goes all the way from sea level to over 500 meters in Saudi Arabia and over 2,000 in Iran. That's WAY more than 20 feet. And even if it wasn't upward from sea-level, but say from Saudi Arabia, you have the fact that the Bible says that the ark landed somewhere on Ararat, in Turkey. Notice where that is:

Guys, that's over 500 miles. Do you really think a 20 foot flood could carry an ark of that size that far? But, even then, we encouter yet another problem. Here's a link to a topographic map of Ararat. Even the foothills are in the thousands of meters. It is absurd to think that a 20 foot flood could evaporate away and set Noah down on the foothills there.

Mountains or Hills or both
The statement that MOST amazed me, though, that Rich made was this:
  • In addition, the Hebrew word har really refers most often to hills rather than mountains
So, he wants us to translated "mountains" as "hills." Consider, then, the very verse he highlights:
  • And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth [month], on the first [day] of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen.
And we should take this to be that the tops of the hills became visible? What about that massive hunk of land behind him? If we tranlsate it the way Rich suggests, Noah would have looked behind him and seen this:

ImageImage

That's Ararat. If they were only twenty feet up, a bird would have had no problem getting to that mountain, on the assumption, of course, that we are talking about the hills being submerged (in twenty foot water) rather than the mountains.

Besides that, I'm curious--this thought just popped into my mind: if we are talking about 20 foot of water at any level above sea level, and if Iraq drains directy into the Persian Gulf at sea level, then how could it take over a year for that little bit of water to drain off? That should have happened in . . . what . . .a day? Two? A week, max?

Planet Earth became a desert after the flood!
Here's another just downright silly argument. Rich says:
  • If one were to interpret these verses from a global perspective, one would have to conclude that the entire earth became a desert after the flood. Obviously this interpretation is false, so the translations must be bad. In these verses, the dryness of the earth is obviously referring to the local land area and not the entire planet earth.
If Rich is to be consistent with his own argument, then he would have to conclude that all the land (apparently form Turkey to Iraq) dried up completely and thus "became a desert after the flood." No rivers. No lakes. No moisture. If "dried up" has no mean NO MORE WATER--complete with a pretty picture of a brown earth--then it has to apply to his view, too.

Of course, Rich recognizes that "dried up" does not mean that there is no more water, be that in the form of lakes, rivers, or seas. Again, what is good for his interpretation is good for the traditional one as well.

2 Pet 3:5-6
The Greek word for "at that time" is tote, which is simply an adverb of time. It should NOT be translated "the world, as it was at that time . . ." as Rich implies. Rather, it should be taken as "the world back then . . ." Peter is painting a word picture of the old-world, which was destroyed, and the new world we are in, which will also be destroyed. Both will be destroyed universally. He has nothing in mind regarding the population, much less how far the population was spread out. The NIV actually does a good job of getting this idea across and keeping the parallelism in the next verse:
  • By these waters also the world of that time was deluged and destroyed. By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire
So . . . this doesn't help Rich's case at all. This passage is telling us that the old world was destroyed completely and that the world we are in now will suffer the same fate. It says nothing about how spread out the population was. Finally:

Josephus
Rich wants us to believe that there were "[early Jewish writers] who indicated that the flood was local," and to prove this he gives us one source: Josephus. Here's the passage:
  • "Now all the writers of barbarian [Greek] histories make mention of this flood and of this ark: among whom is Berosus the Chaldean... Hieronymous the Egyptian.... Nicolaus of Damascus, in his ninety-sixth book, hath a particular relation about them, where he speaks thus: 'There is a great mountain in Armenia, over Minyas, called Baris, upon which it is reported that many who fled at the time of the Deluge were saved; and that one who was carried in an ark came on shore upon top of it; and that the remains of the timber were a great while preserved. This might be the man about whom Moses, the legislator of the Jews wrote'."
First, not to be picky, but this says nothing about early JEWISH intepretations. This just says that there were Greek myths about people being saved from a local flood. Anyway, that Josephus didn't feel the need to correct these Greek myths on the accuracy of their story implies absolutely nothing, not that he believed that part was right (what about the other incorrect parts that he didn't correct?), or that other Jews adopted that same particular un-corrected part of the stories.

Conclusion
So, all in all, what does Rich have? He has a 20 foot flood that was supposed to carry a four story tall ark five hundred miles, all while not draining off for over a year; he defends this by translating har as "hills," even though the story indicates that no land was visible--especially no 16,000 foot mountains!--erets as "land," even though the "land" would have to cover well over a 500 mile area, a misunderstanding of 2 Pet 3:5-6, and a theologically questionable reading of a Psalm that is exegetically questionable at best, and double-standards in interpretation (i.e., dried up water).

Now - I've seen MUCH better arguments for a local flood put forward here. But Rich's article just doesn't cut it. It is far too reaching in way too many places. And the only reason I bring this up is the OP contrasted Rich's arguments with another. I'm just saying that, exegetically, he is weak here. A local flood needs to be defended on entirely different grounds.

--------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm pressed for time, so I'll leave it there. These years later I would add still some more points that I think Rich's show how his argument fails, but these are still more than sufficient for a good starting point, so I'll let this stand as it is.