Sochi 2014 Olympics - most costly ever

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Sochi 2014 Olympics - most costly ever

Post by Gman »

Not surprisingly, the Sochi 2014 Olympics has turned out to be the most costly ever. Sadly we have other problems like world hunger, pollution, worldwide economic corruption, and wars but we would rather spend it on sports?

"When Russia bid to host its first Winter Olympics back in 2007, the document quoted an expected cost of around $12 billion. However, as the extensive renovation of the city of Sochi has unfolded in the years since successfully winning the rights to stage the Games, that number has ballooned to around $50 billion -- more than four times over budget. It will be the most expensive Olympics yet, surpassing Beijing's 2008 Summer Games."

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/04/sport ... e-numbers/
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Sochi 2014 Olympics - most costly ever

Post by RickD »

Given Russia's track record, if the money wasn't spent on the Olympics, I don't think the money would've been used to feed the hungry. :ewink:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:Given Russia's track record, if the money wasn't spent on the Olympics, I don't think the money would've been used to feed the hungry. :ewink:
I don't think it's just Russia but any country or host that forks out huge amounts of money for this drama... Like we are going to remember any of this stuff a few years later when someone's record get's broken by 1/10th of a second? :roll:

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Olympic stadiums in Greece are devastated. Money spent and now ruins.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

1over137 wrote:Olympic stadiums in Greece are devastated. Money spent and now ruins.
Good point.. And now they will have to spend more from their already devastated economy to tear it all down.. Kind of reminds me of this verse.

1 Corinthians 9:25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

PeteSinCA
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by PeteSinCA »

Sochi was a winter resort during the Stalin era of the USSR ... for its mild winter weather. Choosing Sochi for a Winter Olympics was a, "What were they thinking?!" grade decision. 5-day weather forecasts are pretty good, and, of course, 10-100 year climate forecasts must be believed. But foreseeing weather and snow conditions 5 or 10 years from when a games site is picked is pretty dicey, and the Olympics have had some disappointments in choices for Winter Games. But siting a Winter Games near a warm winter weather seacoast resort?!

Sochi isn't eactly on the well-beaten path, so I suspect Sochi fell out of fashion, either soon after Stalin died or after the Soviet Union "fell". So, it was a resort not equipped to handle the massive number of people that come with an Olympics, and it had probably been in neglect and decay for several decades. So Sochi and the surrounding area probably had to be fully rebuilt. And I suspect the workmanship was pretty slipshod - "Haste makes waste."
Soapy Pete's Box

So I'll stand // With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One Who gave it all - The Stand, Hillsong United

"To a world that was lost, He gave all He could give.
To show us the reason to live."
"We Are the Reason" by David Meece

"So why should I worry?
Why should I fret?
'Cause I've got a Mansion Builder
Who ain't through with me yet" - 2nd Chapter of Acts