Events in Ukraine

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Events in Ukraine

Post by Stu »

Anyone here following the events unfolding in Ukraine?

So Crimea falling under Russian rule seems like a done deal, but what about the wider Ukraine. Anyone think Putin is going to next direct his attention to overtaking the rest of Ukraine as well.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Events in Ukraine

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The referendum gave pretty clear results: the residents of Crimea want to secede from Ukraine and voted overwhelmingly in favor to join Russia. As for the rest of Ukraine, Putin said yesterday that Russia had no plans for annexation.

This is not something I'm going to worry about. It just makes the news more interesting.

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

I follow the events. Ukraine is our neighbour.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:The referendum gave pretty clear results: the residents of Crimea want to secede from Ukraine and voted overwhelmingly in favor to join Russia.
Much the same way Assad of Syria was overwhelmingly re-elected to a 17th term.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Byblos wrote:Much the same way Assad of Syria was overwhelmingly re-elected to a 17th term.
No. The situation is quite different. The situation in Syria is as irrelevant to Crimea as the whale hunt in the Faroe Islands. You have to force yourself to look at the Crimean situation dispassionately. The facts are:

-This culture is very different from ours in the West.
-This culture does not hold multiculturalism as a positive value.
-Russia has strong historical (albeit forced) links with Crimea.
-During the time of the USSR, the Kremlin invested heavily in the Ukraine and had major naval bases on the Crimean peninsula.
-The population in Crimea is overwhelmingly Russian speaking. (Not to be ignored: language determines culture, mores and values.)
-The population voted for secession from Ukraine. News reports I've heard place the pro-Russia vote at 97%.

So, Russia invaded Crimea and forced the vote. We in the West don't like that. Tough luck for us.

FL :)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

No fan of John McCain, but I had to laugh at his comment that "Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country!"

That may be, but if Mother Russia cuts off the petrol flow, there would be serious implications in the West. And meanwhile BO hates anything that may help foster our own energy independence, building new pipelines and the jobs that come with them, etc.
acid1103
Newbie Member

Post by acid1103 »

Hmm, this is interesting.. Apparently Pope Clement I (4th pope counting Peter and the first apostolic father) died in modern day Crimea when it was ruled by the Roman Empire.. (I realize this has no significance in anyway, but I just thought it was interesting. Also, since this is my first post, no, I'm not Catholic.)
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

acid1103 wrote:Hmm, this is interesting.. Apparently Pope Clement I (4th pope counting Peter and the first apostolic father) died in modern day Crimea when it was ruled by the Roman Empire.. (I realize this has no significance in anyway, but I just thought it was interesting. Also, since this is my first post, no, I'm not Catholic.)

Welcome to the board Acid.