Morality, Intellectual Skepticism

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
WannaLearn
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Morality, Intellectual Skepticism

Post by WannaLearn »

Intellectual Skepticism
The intellectual attack on Christianity challenged its historical credibility, its scientific accuracy, and its morality. The philosophes of the Enlightenment had delighted in pointing out contradictions in the Bible. The historical scholarship of the nineteenth century brought new issues to the foreground.
History
In 1835, David Friedrich Srauss (1808-1874) published The Life of Jesus, in which he questioned where the bible provides any genuine historical evidence about Jesus. Strauss contended then story of Jesus is a myth that arose from the particular social and intellectual conditions of first century Palestine. Jesus character and life represent the aspirations of the people of that time and place, rather than events that actually occurred, Other authors also published skeptical examinations of the life of Jesus.
During the second half of the century, scholars such as Julius Wellhausen in Germany, Ernst Renan in France, and Matthew Arnold in Great Britain contended that human authors had written and revised the books of the bible with the problems of Jewish society and politics in mind. In the scholarship of these writers the Bible appeared not an inspired book, but one, like the Homeric epics, that had been written by normal human beings in primitive society. This questioning of the historical validity of the Bible caused more literate men and women to lose faith in Christianity than any other single cause.

Morality

Other intellectuals questioned the morality of Christianity. The issue of immoral biblical stories was again raised. The morality of the Old Testament God, his cruelty and unpredictability, did not fit well with the tolerant, rational values of liberals. They also wondered about the morality of the New Testament God, who would sacrifice for his own satisfaction the only perfect being ever to walk the earth. Man of the clergy began to wonder if they could preach doctrines they felt to be immoral.
From another direction, writers like Friedrich Nietzsche in Germany portrayed Christianity as a religion that glorified weakness rather than the strength life required. Christianity demanded a useless and debilitating sacrifice of the flesh and spirit, rather than heroic living and daring. Nietzsche once observed, WAr and courage have accomplished more great things than love of Neighbor.

This is out of my European history text book, would like your thoughts.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Morality, Intellectual Skepticism

Post by 1over137 »

My kids (if I am blessed with them) would need schooling from me also. :shakehead:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
ryanbouma
Established Member

Post by ryanbouma »

Well, it may be historically accurate. Christianity has been challenged numerous times. And I think it's good to learn about those challenges. I wonder though, does the text go on to describe the history of apologetics, or just the criticisms y/:)

What level of education is this text book for? I'd suggest it's not suitable for high school and totally unacceptable for middle school. But for post secondary education it seems fine.
WannaLearn
Established Member

Post by WannaLearn »

its a college class. I would really like to know about this tho(During the second half of the century, scholars such as Julius Wellhausen in Germany, Ernst Renan in France, and Matthew Arnold in Great Britain contended that human authors had written and revised the books of the bible with the problems of Jewish society and politics in mind. In the scholarship of these writers the Bible appeared not an inspired book, but one, like the Homeric epics, that had been written by normal human beings in primitive society. This questioning of the historical validity of the Bible caused more literate men and women to lose faith in Christianity than any other single cause.)

And from my first post it was exactly what was in the book and nothing else just criticism.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

WannaLearn wrote:its a college class. I would really like to know about this tho(During the second half of the century, scholars such as Julius Wellhausen in Germany, Ernst Renan in France, and Matthew Arnold in Great Britain contended that human authors had written and revised the books of the bible with the problems of Jewish society and politics in mind. In the scholarship of these writers the Bible appeared not an inspired book, but one, like the Homeric epics, that had been written by normal human beings in primitive society. This questioning of the historical validity of the Bible caused more literate men and women to lose faith in Christianity than any other single cause.)

And from my first post it was exactly what was in the book and nothing else just criticism.
One of the top liberal theologian who came out of the German school of thought that believed the bible was written 250 years after the fact was. Sir William Ramsey the famed archeologist and New Testament expert.
http://www.bibleevidences.com/archeology.htm

I believe one of the more overwhelming testimonies regarding the depth of archeological evidence for the New Testament is in the account of the famous historian and archeologist Sir William Ramsay. Ramsay was very skeptical of the accuracy of the New Testament, and he ventured to Asia minor over a century ago to refute its historicity. He especially took interest in Luke's accounts in the Gospel of Luke and the Book of Acts, which contained numerous geographical and historic references. Dig after dig the evidence without fail supported Luke's accounts. Governors mentioned by Luke that many historians never believe existed were confirmed by the evidence excavated by Ramsay's archeological team. Without a single error, Luke was accurate in naming 32 countries, 54 cities, and 9 islands. Ramsay became so overwhelmed with the evidence he eventually converted to Christianity. Ramsay finally had this to say:

I began with a mind unfavorable to it...but more recently I found myself brought into contact with the Book of Acts as an authority for the topography, antiquities, and society of Asia Minor. It was gradually borne upon me that in various details the narrative showed marvelous truth3.

Luke is a historian of the first rank; not merely are his statements of fact trustworthy...this author should be placed along with the very greatest historians.

Ramsey actually found that Luke was much more accurate then the top secular historians of his time .