Christianity and Evolution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Christianity and Evolution

Post by ultimate777 »

What does the word "Theory" mean in the phrase "Theory of Evoloution?"

How long ago was the universe created?

Is there scientific evidence it was created billions of years ago?

Is it possible God used The Big Bang to create the universe?

Are beliefs in Christianity and Evoloution possibly compatable?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Christianity and Evolution

Post by RickD »

What does the word "Theory" mean in the phrase "Theory of Evoloution?"
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.
that depends on whom you ask. According to evolution, about 13.7 billion years ago
yes
yes, that's possible

yes
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

RickD wrote:What does the word "Theory" mean in the phrase "Theory of Evoloution?"
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method, and repeatedly confirmed through observation and experimentation.
that depends on whom you ask. According to evolution, about 13.7 billion years ago
yes
yes, that's possible

yes
A board moderator agrees with me all down the line. Great minds think alike.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ultimate777 wrote:
Actually Ultimate, the entire quote reads:

"Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ". :pound: :pound:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
Ultimate777 wrote:
Actually Ultimate, the entire quote reads:

"Great minds think alike, and fools seldom differ". :pound: :pound:
:housekeeping:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

How anyone can say evolution and Christianity are compatible is beyond me.

How is evolution "in the image of God"? Are we really saying God is equivalent to an amoeba or and other creature that we supposedly evolved from....
How is the cruel, heartless process of evolution in any way compatible with God?
God called creation "very good" - is a wasp that lays it's eggs a live spider - and then eat their way out of the still alive creature - very good?

Why anyone still holds to the outdated and stale theories of evolution is astounding. It was a house of cards (even Darwin admitted this) when the theory was first put forward and it's even more so today.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stu wrote:
Stu,

Evolution simply means, "change over time". There are different kinds of evolution. Some have actually been observed.
How is evolution "in the image of God"? Are we really saying God is equivalent to an amoeba or and other creature that we supposedly evolved from....
How is the cruel, heartless process of evolution in any way compatible with God?
Let's take stellar evolution for example. If stellar evolution wasn't true, earth wouldn't exist. That's pretty "compatible" with God, isn't it?
God called creation "very good" - is a wasp that lays it's eggs a live spider - and then eat their way out of the still alive creature - very good?
Are you saying animals that kill other animals for food are immoral?
Why anyone still holds to the outdated and stale theories of evolution is astounding. It was a house of cards (even Darwin admitted this) when the theory was first put forward and it's even more so today.
I think you're making a mistake by equating Darwinian evolution with all evolution. Again, evolution simply means change over time.

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Stu wrote:How anyone can say evolution and Christianity are compatible is beyond me.

I happen to be the miserable fool who sees evolution at work.

I do have one question for you... Does God have male organs? You would say yes, because Adam was in God's 'image'.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

RickD wrote:
Stu wrote:
Stu,

Evolution simply means, "change over time". There are different kinds of evolution. Some have actually been observed.
Let's take stellar evolution for example. If stellar evolution wasn't true, earth wouldn't exist. That's pretty "compatible" with God, isn't it?
I think you're making a mistake by equating Darwinian evolution with all evolution. Again, evolution simply means change over time.
Yeah I get that, I was specifically referring to Gradualism and Punctuated Equilibrium.
No, I was referring to God's words "very good". Equating "very good" with pain and suffering.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

neo-x wrote:
Stu wrote:How anyone can say evolution and Christianity are compatible is beyond me.

I do have one question for you... Does God have male organs? You would say yes, because Adam was in God's 'image'.
In God's image doesn't mean exactly like God, just in His image.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Stu wrote:
neo-x wrote:

In God's image doesn't mean exactly like God, just in His image.
What is God's image?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Morny
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Morny »

ultimate777 wrote:
RickD wrote:What does the word "Theory" mean in the phrase "Theory of Evoloution?"
yes
yes, that's possible

yes
Neither the fact of evolution nor the theory of evolution says the universe is 13.7 billion years old. Astrophysics/cosmology estimates the universe's age.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Morny wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:
yes
yes, that's possible

yes
Neither the fact of evolution nor the theory of evolution says the universe is 13.7 billion years old. Astrophysics/cosmology estimates the universe's age.
In general, Stellar evolutionists(see the word evolution there?) find the age of the universe to be 13.7 billion years old. y[-(

And actually, they would probably say that age is not an estimate, but pretty darn close.

-Edward R Murrow

Morny
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Morny »

RickD wrote:
Morny wrote:Neither the fact of evolution nor the theory of evolution says the universe is 13.7 billion years old. Astrophysics/cosmology estimates the universe's age.
In general, Stellar evolutionists(see the word evolution there?) find the age of the universe to be 13.7 billion years old. y[-(
Thank you for correcting your statement to say _stellar_ evolution. Evolution and stellar evolution are different areas of scientific research.
RickD wrote:And actually, they would probably say that age is not an estimate, but pretty darn close.
Another typo, viz., using "not" instead of "just"? No scientist would say that the age is _not_ an estimate.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Morny wrote:
Thank you for correcting your statement to say _stellar_ evolution. Evolution and stellar evolution are different areas of scientific research.
I didn't correct my statement. I just specified what type of evolution I was referring to. Stellar evolution is a kind of evolution. Certainly you don't need me to explain that.
Another typo, viz., using "not" instead of "just"? No scientist would say that the age is _not_ an estimate.
Morny,

All I'm saying is that The Universe is Precisely 13.75 Billion Years Old. The age determined by precise measurements. What I mean by it not being an estimate, it's that it's not "an approximate calculation". It's a very precise calculation.

-Edward R Murrow