did Jesus go to hell?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

did Jesus go to hell?

Post by Prodigal Son »

did or didn't Jesus descend into hell?

apostles creed

...was crucified, died and was buried.

he descended into hell.
the third day he rose again from the dead,
ascended into heaven...
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

well, did he or didn't he? did he go into heaven immediately and then come back to the twelve and then leave again? or did he go to hell and then visit the twelve and then ascend?
New Creation
Kyle
Newbie Member

Post by Kyle »

maybe you can post of the scipture of where it says jesus "went to hell".

but i would have thought he'd go to heaven, being God and all.......
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

when did jesus mister to the spirits from the flood. Were they in hell?
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

It never said Jesus went to hell.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

1 Peter 3—
18For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit, 19through whom also he went and preached [proclaimed] to the spirits in prison 20who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built.

This does not say Christ descended into hell, however, in Acts 2 we have:
  • 27Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (KJV)

Or the more correct translation of hell (left as Hades):

27 For You will not leave my soul in Hades, Nor will You allow Your Holy One to see corruption. (NKJV)
Some versions just translate "hades" as "the grave", but then I prefer the NKJV since it retains the original Greek word.

From these passages (particularly 1 Peter 3:18-20), it seems to me that while there doesn't appear to be a clear case of Christ descending in 'hell', we have Christ going to an abode (which some believe to be a waiting place) of the spiritually departed.

It should also perhaps be noted that some churches which recite the Apostle's creed leave out the "he descended into hell" from their recitals. Another translation that I've heard is common now is to say "he descended to the dead" (i.e., the grave).

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by puritan lad »

Good Question. This comes from 1 Peter 3:18-20, and has caused much confusion, particularly with the additional statement in the Apostle's Creed "He descended into Hell".

Here is my take. Some believe that Jesus, after his death and before his resurrection, went into Hell in order to preach the gospel. Some go so far as to say that he actually went to rescue some souls out of Hell. During the three days between the crucifixion and the resurrection, Jesus took a missions trip to Hell. This, of course, presents many theological problems.

But, if Jesus went into Hell after his death, how does that square with Jesus' own last words?

Luke 23:46
“And when Jesus had cried out with a loud voice, He said, "Father, 'into Your hands I commit My spirit.'" Having said this, He breathed His last.”

He entrusted himself to his father's care immediately at death. And so he said to that thief who repented upon the cross,

Luke 23:43
"I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Jesus work upon the cross was finished. He said so himself. Upon His death, though His human body lay in the grave under the power of death, His soul went immediately to be with His Father in Heaven, not Hell. The "Hell" He experienced was the dreadful curse and condemnation of His Father which He endured for those three hours of darkness upon the cross, when He cried out, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"

I believe a much more consistent understanding of Peter's words is to connect verses 18 and 19, particularly the emphasis upon the work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus was made alive by the Spirit, verse 18, and by the power of that same Spirit, He had already gone and preached to the spirits who are now in prison.

In other words, Jesus preached to them, through the power of the Holy Spirit, while they were still alive on earth. And now, in death, they are imprisoned in an eternal state of damnation in hell.

Verse 20 seems to bear that out. "who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water."

In the days of Noah, Jesus was being preached. Jesus was proclaimed in the Old Testament.

Peter seems to say the same thing in, 2 Peter 2:4-5

"For if God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment; and did not spare the ancient world, but saved Noah, one of eight people, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood on the world of the ungodly."

In short, there is no rescue from Hell, ever. We need to heed the call of Christ now, while we are alive. Once this life is over, it is too late, and all the prayers, ceremonies, etc. performed by the loved one left behind will be to no avail.

Hope this helps. One of the toughest scriptures in the Bible. Any other thoughts on this?
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

still confused. but, since he exists outside of time, he could have gone to hell within the three days; and, that would explain how everyone before him could have been saved (because they got their chance at this point). maybe he went to heaven immediately, and then went to hell, and then saw the apostles?

not trying to be annoying...really wondering.
New Creation
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Found this here.
I know the Lord's Prayer is in the Bible, but where did the Apostles' Creed come from? Is it biblically based? Where is the support for the statements "He descended into hell" and "the communion of saints"?

The Apostles' Creed goes back to approximately A.D. 700, although segments of it are found as early as the second century. This creed was not written by the apostles, but is generally recognized as being faithful to their teaching.

The statement "He descended into hell" was added to the original Creed some years later and has not been universally accepted. It is omitted in many versions of the Creed. However, the statement vividly expresses the full extent of Christ's vicarious sacrifice, even suffering the torment of hell for all people. (See Renewal Theology, 1: pages 359-360.)

The "Communion of saints" in the Creed refers to the fellowship of believers. It is not a communion with saints in heaven (a common misunderstanding) but of saints on earth at all times and in all places.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

Here are two more links that refer to the topic. The second one is a little long but interesting.http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11049a.htm andhttp://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01629a.htm
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

thank you, guys.
New Creation