Is our power through faith limited?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
acid1103
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is our power through faith limited?

Post by acid1103 »

In Matthew 17:20, Jesus tells us that, with a mustard seed of faith, anything is possible for us. My question is, must these things which we achieve through faith fall in line with the will of God, or do we have so much free will that we may command anything in faith and it will be done?
I would assume the first, but, if that's the case, how broad is the will of God? If God's will is just a narrow line, why give us so much power?
In the Bible, we learn that God is very specific and cares about the tiniest of the tiniest of the tiniest of details. He knows the number of hairs on our heads (Luke 12:7). He gives the exact measurements of Solomon's temple (1 Kings 6). He knows the number and name of each and every star (Psalms 147:4)!! With that being the case, one would expect God's will to be extremely well-defined.
So, I suppose this post comes down to two questions. Are the things we have the power to do through Christ and through faith "limited" by the will of God? And if so, how large is His will?
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: Is our power through faith limited?

Post by B. W. »

acid1103 wrote:In Matthew 17:20, Jesus tells us that, with a mustard seed of faith, anything is possible for us. My question is, must these things which we achieve through faith fall in line with the will of God, or do we have so much free will that we may command anything in faith and it will be done?
First off, how would you define the will of God?
acid1103 wrote:I would assume the first, but, if that's the case, how broad is the will of God? If God's will is just a narrow line, why give us so much power?
Next, Jesus mentioned that if we ask anything according to his name (Character) he will do it - what does that suggest to you? (Note John 14:13,14, John 15:7,16, John 16:23,24, Mat 21:22)

In Bible times, a person's name was used to reflect the character / attributes of a person.

For example - Barabbas means "Son of father" - Barabbas committed murder in an insurrection, John 18:40, Mark 15:7, Luke 28:18 and was in prison, during the trial of Jesus.

Satan is known the god of this world (John 12:31, John 14:30, John 16:11, 2 Co 4:4, Eph 2:2). Jesus mentions that the thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy,John 10:10, and the bible reveals the devil as ruling the sons of pride and leads rebellion. Therefore, Barabbas - a rebel and a thief lived according to whom ruled him. That was his character trait - a son of his father - a rebel. The people chose a rebelling robber over the Son of God to be released. Jesus in Hebrew means 'salvation' and the salvation he brought traded places with us and died in our place on the cross. Names in the bible are more telling than how we use names nowadays and add to this the symbolism of Jesus trading places with a robber in order to redeem/save the very ones shouting to crucify him and desiring to live as thieves and rebels against God as Barabbas'es son of their father (the evil one)...is well - telling...
acid1103 wrote:In the Bible, we learn that God is very specific and cares about the tiniest of the tiniest of the tiniest of details. He knows the number of hairs on our heads (Luke 12:7). He gives the exact measurements of Solomon's temple (1 Kings 6). He knows the number and name of each and every star (Psalms 147:4)!!

With that being the case, one would expect God's will to be extremely well-defined. So, I suppose this post comes down to two questions. Are the things we have the power to do through Christ and through faith "limited" by the will of God? And if so, how large is His will?
I ask you to ponder the answers stated above, and to take a day or so to mull over these investigating the character of Jesus. In that, you will discover your answer.

Here are a few helps along the way: Luke 4:17-20, Isaiah 61:1-4, John 14:9, Acts 10:38 look these over and what do they reveal to you about Jesus's name and about God's will mentioned in 1 Thess 4:3-18, Eph 5:15,16,17, Rom 12:2, Col 1:9, Col 4:12, Heb 13:21, 1 Pet 4:2, 1 John 2:17
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys