Please explain the trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Please explain the trinity

Post by Kenny »

When I did this all I got was was different dictionaries that confirm the definition. But assuming there is more to existence than what is contained in the Univere, I would still say the Universe exists because I experience it's existence or a regular basis.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny,

Use logic. Think about this. You've already admitted that the universe began to exist via the Big Bang. So here's where you have to use logic. If The universe began to exist(Big Bang), then something had to cause it to begin to exist. Whatever caused the universe to begin to exist, must be outside of the universe. What does logic tell you about what possibly could have caused the universe to exist?

It's really not a difficult question to answer. But you must use logic, and think objectively(put aside your biases).
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:Kenny,

Use logic. Think about this. You've already admitted that the universe began to exist via the Big Bang. So here's where you have to use logic. If The universe began to exist(Big Bang), then something had to cause it to begin to exist. Whatever caused the universe to begin to exist, must be outside of the universe. What does logic tell you about what possibly could have caused the universe to exist?

It's really not a difficult question to answer. But you must use logic, and think objectively(put aside your biases).
I've already answered that question before. I said it depends upon how you define the Universe.

If the Universe is defined as all that has ever existed, then the singular that expanded at the Big Bang to be what we now know as the Universe was the Universe as well which means the Universe never began to exist, it has always existed.

If the singular that expanded via the Big Bang is NOT considered the Universe, then I would say the Universe began to exist from the singular that expanded to be known as the Big Bang. As far as where did this singular come from? Nobody knows! As far as we know it could have always existed.

I would also be careful about assuming what little bit of laws we know about the Universe can be applied to every inch of the Universe. Thre is so much about the Universe that we just don't know! To assume the tiny fraction of the Universe that we are familiar with applies to all of it would be akin to a person who has no idea what a library is, going to a library; picking up 1 book; (which just so happens to be a Dr Seuss childrens book;) studying it, then assuming the entire Library is full of childrens books.

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Stay with me Kenny. Keep using logic to understand this.
If the Universe is defined as all that has ever existed, then the singular that expanded at the Big Bang to be what we now know as the Universe was the Universe as well which means the Universe never began to exist, it has always existed.

If the singular that expanded via the Big Bang is NOT considered the Universe, then I would say the Universe began to exist from the singular that expanded to be known as the Big Bang. As far as where did this singular come from? Nobody knows! As far as we know it could have always existed.
Logic Kenny, logic. If the singularity always existed for eternity past, then it never would've expanded unless something caused it to expand. Do you understand that? For the sake of discussion, let's assume the singularity always existed. At some point @13.8 billion years ago, that singularity expanded to cause the Big Bang. But why did that singularity go from an eternal singularity, to an expansion? If something exists eternally, it cannot change. You do see the logic in this don't you?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:Stay with me Kenny. Keep using logic to understand this.

Logic Kenny, logic. If the singularity always existed for eternity past, then it never would've expanded unless something caused it to expand. Do you understand that? For the sake of discussion, let's assume the singularity always existed. At some point @13.8 billion years ago, that singularity expanded to cause the Big Bang. But why did that singularity go from an eternal singularity, to an expansion? If something exists eternally, it cannot change. You do see the logic in this don't you?
Yes! I understand what you are saying. If we assume the few laws we know about the Universe is applied to the singular, it can't go from a singular to an expansion state on it's own something would have to cause it to expand. That's assuming what little bit we kow about the Universe applies to the Singular (which I am reluctant to assume) It does leave open the possibility that the singular was in an eternal state of motion and we can only trace it back to when it was compressed into a singular; before that it could have been in a previously expanded state.

What it boils down to is, I don't know! Nobody knows, and I am reluctant to assume stuff unless I see evidence leading to it.

Ken
RickD wrote
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Kenny wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Kenny wrote:The universe is neither true or false.
Is it real - is it there?
The Universe is defined as "all that exists" So if there is anything can be described as existing; it would be the Universe

Ken
The the universe cannot be neither true or false if it is existing...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

B. W. wrote:
Kenny wrote:
B. W. wrote:
The Universe is defined as "all that exists" So if there is anything can be described as existing; it would be the Universe

Ken
-
-
-
I am not understanding what you are asking me. True and False are obviously answers to questios; the Universe exists but isn't a question to be answered as true or false. Can you rephrase the question?
RickD wrote
FlawedIntellect
Established Member

Post by FlawedIntellect »

Kenny, he wasn't asking anything. What B.W. was saying is that to claim that the existence of the universe is neither true nor false is a contradiction. Either something is true or not true (AKA false). There's no in between, and there's no wholly other.

YOU, Kenny, claimed that the universe is neither true (n)or false. That statement is flat out nonsensical. (You want proof that you made the claim? Look at the quote above in your own post.)

Please take seriously what these people are saying.
That's enough joking around, Kenny. It's time to be serious.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

FlawedIntellect wrote:Kenny, he wasn't asking anything. What B.W. was saying is that to claim that the existence of the universe is neither true nor false is a contradiction. Either something is true or not true (AKA false). There's no in between, and there's no wholly other.

YOU, Kenny, claimed that the universe is neither true (n)or false. That statement is flat out nonsensical. (You want proof that you made the claim? Look at the quote above in your own post.)

Please take seriously what these people are saying.
That's enough joking around, Kenny. It's time to be serious.
What you are saying does not make sense to me. You say I am joking around or playing games; I just don't know what you are trying to ask me. Maybe if you could phrase it differently

Ken
RickD wrote
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Kenny wrote:
B. W. wrote:
Kenny wrote:
B. W. wrote:

Ken
-
-
-
I am not understanding what you are asking me. True and False are obviously answers to questions; the Universe exists but isn't a question to be answered as true or false. Can you rephrase the question?
The universe is either there or it isn't.

In that resides whether it is true or false. If false, then the universe does not exist, yet you see it and are a part of it as well... You do truly exist as evidence that you type on a created machine and communication system.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Well obviously there is proof that the Universe exists; there is absolute proof that it does.

Ken
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:Well obviously there is proof that the Universe exists; there is absolute proof that it does.

Ken
The universe exists based on our perception of what we believe reality to be.
" I exist, therefore the universe must exist".

Of course tomorrow you may wake up from this dream and realize that it is nothing other than a dream.

Perception is reality.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:Well obviously there is proof that the Universe exists; there is absolute proof that it does.

Ken

Of course tomorrow you may wake up from this dream and realize that it is nothing other than a dream.

Perception is reality.
Perception only equals reality to that person.

Ken
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Ken

Perception is reality.
Perception only equals reality to that person.

Ken
Bingo.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

I'm not exactly sure what that exchange was all about but here's a question anyone of you guys can answer: is reality knowable?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.