Guns in Church

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Guns in Church

Post by Stu »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Stu wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:Care to guess what inspires my question?

Should the law allow churches to allow almost anybody to bring guns into church?

If the law does not permit it a church can "blame" the law if it wants to forbid it
and avoid resposibility for its action. Should that right be denied churches of
thusly avoiding that responsibility?
I seem to remember a case where people were murdered in church by a gunman. Perhaps ask the families of those people the question.
So your answer to violence is more violence?

I would rather die for Christ than perpetuate hate and violence, even if it meant my whole family. This life is nothing compared with eternity.

You can keep your weapons, I want nothing to do with that.
So you're saying God doesn't call on us to protect our family?
You would seriously sit back and let someone rape and kill your family?

Even Jesus called upon us to have a sword (the equivalent of a firearm today). I forget the exact passage now, maybe someone can help me with that.

Does the Bible not say there is a time for war and to kill.
2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.
You would have us believe that there is no time to kill, or no time for war. No, the Bible tells us otherwise.

And as RickD said, there are, and have been, many occasions where more guns would have, and have, meant less bloodshed and death.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

The law should have nothing to say on this matter. Church grounds are owned by the church, and they should set their own rules. If a church doesn't want guns on their property, they should be able to say so. If they don't care if people bring guns on their property, then the law shouldn't be able to tell them that they have to have a policy saying otherwise.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Yea I'm not getting into an argument about guns with a bunch of Americans, I can think of better ways to waste time. Violence only begets violence and the cycle continues, that is all I have to say on the subject.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Yea I'm not getting into an argument about guns with a bunch of Americans, I can think of better ways to waste time. Violence only begets violence and the cycle continues, that is all I have to say on the subject.
That's right Daniel. Don't bring a boomerang to a gun fight. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Yea I'm not getting into an argument about guns with a bunch of Americans, I can think of better ways to waste time. Violence only begets violence and the cycle continues, that is all I have to say on the subject.
Don't make take a spear to your knee IT.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Hey, don't call me an American, I'm not... ;)
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Have you been drinking Foster's Lager again? You seem to be slurring your words. :pound:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Have you been drinking Foster's Lager again? You seem to be slurring your words. :pound:
You wouldn't ever catch me drinking that swill.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
RickD wrote:
You wouldn't ever catch me drinking that swill.
Isn't Foster's Australian for beer? I thought all Aussies ate shrimp, drink Foster's, and chuck boomerangs at kangaroos? I guess I have to reassess my stereotypes. y:-?

-Edward R Murrow