What’s the worst that could happen?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: What’s the worst that could happen?

Post by jlay »

I've got it on Kindle, and no I'm not sending Kenny my Kindle!! :wave:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11

When I was a child I was non-believer. I put away childish things and became a Christian.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11

When I was a child I was non-believer. I put away childish things and became a Christian.
Hana, are you saying that you became a man? y#-o :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

jlay wrote:
Kenny wrote: If the foundation that Jesus stands on is the God of the Old Testament, I cannot follow Jesus while rejecting his foundation; even though I may agree with what Jesus says. To me that would be akin to voting for a politician who is an active member of the Ku Klux Klan simply because I agree with what he says on various political issues

Ken
So, you're not going to read the book. You could have just said so.
Oh my bad! I thought you knew me better than that. Okay! Here goes......uh um..... I am not going to read the book!

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:Kenny,

What they're saying is that the book explains that. I'll tell you what, I have a copy of Is God a Moral Monster. I'll even send it to you for free. Just pm me a name and address to send it to, and you can have it.
Do not send me the book, buying it is not the problem; reading it is. You can't debate with a book because it doesn't answer you back. I would rather debate with someone who has read the book.
Much of my objection has to do with the wise decisions of the God of the OT as well as some of the stories and claims of the OT, and how the bible came about. It is not just the moral thing I take issue with.

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:

What they're saying is that the book explains that. I'll tell you what, I have a copy of Is God a Moral Monster. I'll even send it to you for free. Just pm me a name and address to send it to, and you can have it.
Do not send me the book, buying it is not the problem; reading it is. You can't debate with a book because it doesn't answer you back. I would rather debate with someone who has read the book.
Much of my objection has to do with the wise decisions of the God of the OT as well as some of the stories and claims of the OT, and how the bible came about. It is not just the moral thing I take issue with.

Ken
Kenny,

How can you expect to "debate" with somebody about a book you haven't read? I guess seeing how you've "debated" here, that's probably par for the course.
The book talks about the things you have said you have issues with.
It seems you really don't want to learn. You just want to debate. If you're just here to debate, and are not open to learn, then this forum is probably not for you.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

How can you expect to "debate" with somebody about a book you haven't read? I guess seeing how you've "debated" here, that's probably par for the course.
The book talks about the things you have said you have issues with.
It seems you really don't want to learn. You just want to debate. If you're just here to debate, and are not open to learn, then this forum is probably not for you.
As I've said countless times before, in the past when I've read books, links, or websites people are always telling you to read, I've had objections to what they said. I suspect the same would be the case if I read this book. Now if YOU have read the book, and know it answers my questions; how come you can't answer my questions?

Ken
RickD wrote
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Kenny wrote:
My point had nothing to do with Paul, I was simply using his words to explain why I disagree with some of the actions of the God of the old testament.
Yes Kenny but what you fail to realise is that what Paul was saying actually back my point. You missunderstood Paul because you cherry picked and didn't read all of what he wrote.
So when you quoted him you shot your own reasoning apart.
What is it about my understanding of the OT is faulty?
I don't know exactly, you have only alluded to it. But if it's as bad as your understanding of the Pauline Epistles then boy oh boy this is going to be fun.

How about you read the book I suggested and then if you want to debate specific points made in the book come back here to discuss or start a new thread on a specific topic like a suggested. For example you could start the most common one that we hear from atheists, that the Bible condones rape in the OT or there are plenty of other hard to understand verses that atheists seem to latch onto with their basic understanding. But you will look less of a fool if you actually do some stody of your own before you come at us with these faulty understandings.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ken wrote:
As I've said countless times before, in the past when I've read books, links, or websites people are always telling you to read, I've had objections to what they said. I suspect the same would be the case if I read this book. Now if YOU have read the book, and know it answers my questions; how come you can't answer my questions?
Kenny,

You are the most obtuse person I have ever known. Stop wasting our time here.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Kenny wrote:
My point had nothing to do with Paul, I was simply using his words to explain why I disagree with some of the actions of the God of the old testament.
Yes Kenny but what you fail to realise is that what Paul was saying actually back my point. You missunderstood Paul because you cherry picked and didn't read all of what he wrote.
What is it about my understanding of the OT is faulty?
I don't know exactly, you have only alluded to it. But if it's as bad as your understanding of the Pauline Epistles then boy oh boy this is going to be fun.

How about you read the book I suggested and then if you want to debate specific points made in the book come back here to discuss or start a new thread on a specific topic like a suggested. For example you could start the most common one that we hear from atheists, that the Bible condones rape in the OT or there are plenty of other hard to understand verses that atheists seem to latch onto with their basic understanding. But you will look less of a fool if you actually do some stody of your own before you come at us with these faulty understandings.
Daniel220

Ken
I have read the bible and I know the bible supports your point. I know the bible supports the idea that you are to trust God even when it doesn’t make sense to you.
What I am trying to tell you is that I cannot do that! I cannot trust something that does not make sense to me, and no amount of scripture reading, or bible verses is going to change that.

Daniel220
don't know exactly, you have only alluded to it. But if it's as bad as your understanding of the Pauline Epistles then boy oh boy this is going to be fun.

Ken
I am not going to read the book, but if you like I will list specific points about the bible and God that I disagree with, or I can start a new thread on the topic; whichever you prefer.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Ken wrote:
Kenny,

You are the most obtuse person I have ever known. Stop wasting our time here.
The reason I keep waisting your time is because you keep going through the trouble of loging on to your computer and responding to me!

Bye bye!
Ken
RickD wrote
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Cya Kenny

I doubt many here will continue to "discuss" anything with you, because there just isn't any discussion, it's us making valid arguments and you just saying you either disagree for no actual valid reason or you fall back to a argument of ignorance and don't present any logical explanation for your rejection. This is a discussion board and if there is not actual discussion then there is not reason to respond to you, you say we get frustrated because you show us our arguments are baseless, that is so far from the truth.

Good luck and I wish you well, I am now disengaging.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Okay Daniel 220 here is the deal

I started this thread, and I asked a specific question; “what’s the worst that could happen if God addressed the entire world” for 8 pages various people gave their opinions and I gave mine; we discussed back and forth and what it basically came down to was people feeling everything from world wars starting, to atheists convincing everybody it was a hoax. I stated my disagreements with this claim but I accepted it as your opinions and gave my opinions on why I think it would be different.

At the end of page 8 the discussion was basically over as a matter of fact you even provided the final response to the original question on 3/3/14 10:21pm with “ Glad we could be of assistance. You seem genuine, which I am glad to see.

Then somebody else asked a question that I do not have an answer to, they asked a question that had nothing to do with the subject at hand; they asked me “Where did the big bang come from?”
Now this is totally off topic, and I could have been dismissive and told him to start another topic if he wants to ask this question, or ignore him because it was not the subject at hand. But instead I attempted to oblige him by admitting I do not know, all I have are guesses. He then specifically asked me; (pg 9) “please enlighten us with your guesses” so I did. I made it very clear I do not have an answer but my guess is…………….. Then everybody and their mother began to pipe in on this new (off)topic and start talking about cosmology, and black holes, and a bunch of other stuff I don’t know about, and finding fault in my guesses and somehow expecting me to defend them, or accept theirs as proof of God! There is lot about cosmology I do not know, and I do not pretend to know! That’s why from the jump I said I don’t know!

Now you are calling me “obtuse” and claiming I am wasting everyone’s time here. So tell me Daniel220; how should I have responded on pg 9 when I was specifically asked to enlighten you guys with my guesses?

Ken
RickD wrote
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Hmm, probably the worst that could happen is nothing. I mean, unbelievers would continue their lives as nothing happened.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:What’s the worst that could happen if God were to address the entire world at once, in a language that each of us could understand; and cleared up all the misunderstandings we have of him? Why doesn’t he do this?

Ken
The worst that could happen would be Kenny saying to God, "I disagree with you. I know you say you're God, but I have plenty of evidence that you don't exist."

-Edward R Murrow