Religious Pluralism

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
acid1103
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Religious Pluralism

Post by acid1103 »

There is likely already a thread like this floating around somewhere, but I'd like to make one revolving around the book, "Acts of Faith" by Eboo Patel. I graduated from high school a few months ago (probably making me one of the youngest here?) and have enrolled and been accepted to university. I went to orientation the other day and the university gave each freshman there the previously mentioned book. *As a disclaimer, I have only read the introduction to the book, but in the introduction Patel makes some bold inferences that I would like to address.* Patel is a self-proclaimed Muslim who started the Interfaith Youth Core (http://www.ifyc.org), an organization that aims to increase religious pluralism on campuses.

First of all, what is religious pluralism? The website linked above defines it as such:
  • Respect for people’s diverse religious and non-religious identities
  • Mutually inspiring relationships between people of different backgrounds
  • Common action for the common good
I have no problem with the first two. In defense of the first bullet, the Bible says to love your neighbor as yourself. In defense of the second, relationships with those of other faiths opens the door for sharing the Gospel, both through words and actions. However, the third point is a bit vague and misleading. There is no such thing as a "common good." My idea of good is defined by my faith, just as everyone else's is. So, the expectation that people will be able to work together to achieve a fictional idea is rather forlorn.

I'm going to be honest. I was going to type a thread in offense to the book mentioned above, but as I read the intro with a more open mind, it does not seem to be all bad. At first, probably-biased glance, the book appeared to be suggesting that I set my faith down in order to benefit society. (That is, I felt as though the book was saying that I should essentially stop believing what I believe, even if only for a moment, in order to benefit society.) But as I read the book now, it seems to be saying not to let my faith get in the way. I suppose the book is suggesting that we should have unbiased views of people in general, not letting the differences of our faiths cause us to have feelings of dissent towards those other people. That suggestion is inline with my faith and, if that is truly what is being suggested, makes me feel much more comfortable.

You can read the introduction at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=12098469 and tell me what you think. Was I being biased initially? Also, what about the "common action for the common good" point I discussed? Is there truly such a thing as a "common good?"

On a side note, if I seem to be acting very cautious, it's because I am.. I've lived in a rather protected, Christian community all of my life, so going off to college is intimidating. Especially when the first book you're handed is one entitled "Acts of Fait: The Story of an American Muslim, the Struggle for the Soul of a Generation."
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Religious Pluralism

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

acid1103 wrote:First of all, what is religious pluralism?
Religious pluralism is understanding that all faiths are on an equal footing, that all faiths are valid paths to God.
acid1103 wrote:Is there truly such a thing as a "common good?"
The only one I can see is accepting Jesus as Lord.
acid1103 wrote:You can read the introduction at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=12098469 and tell me what you think.
I stopped reading when I got to the part where Patel tells us what made America great. He got it wrong right there, so everything else after that is flawed. His ideas are sickly-sweet nice, though, and should please the secular-minded neo-peace&lovenics
acid1103 wrote:I'm going to be honest. I was going to type a thread in offense to the book mentioned above, but as I read the intro with a more open mind, it does not seem to be all bad.
It would be a bad idea to pan this new holy book by prophet Patel, especially since your temple university gave each student a copy. It is bad to bite the hand that feeds you.
acid1103 wrote: My idea of good is defined by my faith, just as everyone else's is. So, the expectation that people will be able to work together to achieve a fictional idea is rather forlorn.
You're right there.

FL :amen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +