The damaging effects of bullies.

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The damaging effects of bullies.

Post by 1over137 »

Childhood bullying can persist for decades
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalto ... -lifetime/
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
FlawedIntellect
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by FlawedIntellect »

RickD wrote:
Seraph wrote:Rick, why must you white knight FL? He has shown time and again that he is an out of touch cruel hearted person and the antithesis of what a Christian or loving person ought to strive to be. He's taking the side of bullies over terrorized children for goodness sake, out of some delusion that children now are weak. What does a middle aged man know about life through the eyes of a young person in today's world?

Seriously, posts here make me livid sometimes.
I'm not taking anyone's side in this. I have my own opinions.

Out of touch and cruel hearted? That's a bit harsh. Do you know FL well enough to make that judgement?

And your point about a middle aged man not knowing enough through the eyes of a young person, is not accurate either. I'm middle aged with a 15 year old son that just a little while back went through some bullying issues.

FL is the antithesis of what a Christian should strive to be? Who are you to judge him?
You could also point out that middle-aged men know what life is like from the eyes of a young person, because they were once young themselves. X3
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

FlawedIntellect wrote:
You could also point out that middle-aged men know what life is like from the eyes of a young person, because they were once young themselves. X3
The problem with that, is that some of us don't remember what it was like to be young. :wheelchair:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

As someone that has worked with kids that are/have been bullied AND those that have carried their scars into adult life I can say that this is a very real, very painful problem.
As some of you know, I sued to teach Martial arts, the "real" stuff not just sport, which included knives, sticks and firearms.
The vast majority of adults that came to take many of those courses had stories of being bullied as kids ( teenagers fall into that category) and some still never recovered and were being bullied at work by bosses and co-workers.
Not everyone can break the circle.
I think it is very easy to say "get over it" until we realize that the degree of bullying may make it so that one CAN'T get over it.
I know of a few cases of bullying that involved sexual assault of a sibling, same-sex sexual assault by the bully, even beatings to the point where the victim/survivor was hospitalize.
We must be VERY aware that bullying comes in MANY degrees.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

PaulSacramento wrote:As someone that has worked with kids that are/have been bullied AND those that have carried their scars into adult life I can say that this is a very real, very painful problem.
As some of you know, I sued to teach Martial arts, the "real" stuff not just sport, which included knives, sticks and firearms.
The vast majority of adults that came to take many of those courses had stories of being bullied as kids ( teenagers fall into that category) and some still never recovered and were being bullied at work by bosses and co-workers.
Not everyone can break the circle.
I think it is very easy to say "get over it" until we realize that the degree of bullying may make it so that one CAN'T get over it.
I know of a few cases of bullying that involved sexual assault of a sibling, same-sex sexual assault by the bully, even beatings to the point where the victim/survivor was hospitalize.
We must be VERY aware that bullying comes in MANY degrees.

Yes Bullies can ruin forums and friendships even here. Bullies can have long terms effects on adults. Bullies are a part of life. Such is the sin nature in humanity. There is nothing that can be done in this life over than forgive and move on.

This thread has taken a hostile tone and splitting friends and created strife and therefore is not of God or Godly edification. Where there division and strife on this scale you can rest assured this forum and its members are being hit by a spiritual attack and it would be best to pray against this and toss it back where ever it came from. The Devil and his demons are bullies and their long term effect upon all humanity is well documented and now here.

Two good moderators have been insulted by several folks here and elsewhere on this thread as well as a few members so much so that they feel the need to exit. What happened to christian forgiveness and compassion? Well, bullying that the devil dishes out has its course. Daniel, Paul, Silver made and proved their case - bullying does leave an effect on adults. I my case, my father, a godly Christian man, gave me my first lesson on handling bullies in grade school - punch back, hit fast, hit hard and aim low and hard, if they beat you up, you made a stand that shows the class how small the bully is, if you win, you will save multitudes of kids great harm - what do you have to lose? My dad then mentioned Eccl 3:1-8. I learned latter, he was right. I had to learn that fear was present in me and giving into that fear caused me to run away from bullies and then one day, I had enough - hit hard often, fast and aim low - very effective. So the long term effect on bullying for me was to fight back, win or lose, you stick to your guns (guns is a metaphor for stick too it-ness - don't give in or give up).

I am going to lock this thread and ask all parties to consider their words and how they offended, ask for forgiveness and become Christian brothers and sisters again. The real bully is the real devil and he is loosing strife and division upon the members here. So in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth I pray, the devils dividing power be bound and be loosed off this forum, now and forever. And Lord, let the folks take the proverbial chill pill and cool down and have them come to their senses and seek to reconcile with those they offended, either by accident, or purpose. I ask this according to Jesus Name and power of imparting love and a sound mind to his people no enemy can steal. Amen.

Therefore this thread is now locked...
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys