Tattoos

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Anonymous

Tattoos

Post by Anonymous »

just wondering whether or not it is sinful to get a tattoo of a religious symbol such as a cross?
i do not really think it is, because it is an everyday reminder of how the Lord sacrificed his life for me. i know it is a sin to desecrate your body, but i think haveing such a mark will serve a better purpose.
thank you for your help
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

Johnny, the obvious answer would be to seek the will of God through prayer and let the Holy Spirit minister a conviction. Then we will be stopped from making a wrong decision - something which affects our salvation and being a witness to others.

We live under God's grace - slaves to righteousness, not to law. I would say the idea of a tatoo sounds cool! I've just been too lazy to get one for myself.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Tattoos

Post by BavarianWheels »

johnnyv wrote:just wondering whether or not it is sinful to get a tattoo of a religious symbol such as a cross?
i do not really think it is, because it is an everyday reminder of how the Lord sacrificed his life for me. i know it is a sin to desecrate your body, but i think haveing such a mark will serve a better purpose.
thank you for your help
How about a $2.00 necklace from your nearest Christian book store?

Would that not serve the same purpose and make you a better steward of your money?
RGeeB
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by RGeeB »

..just want to add to my earlier post

Johnny, if you are in the company of people who associate tattoos with evil - then it might be better not to get one - just so you don't weaken their faith.
SourceofLiFe
Recognized Member

Post by SourceofLiFe »

Do not get tattoo.

Is is considered wrong by the Bible.

Because it is and has been a symbol for evil.

Most satan followers carries that attribute, and to associate yourself with them in the name of our Lord is the most wrongful action of your life.

May God forgiven those who is confused due to the environment.

I hope you read the Bible and remember the laws God set for us.

What's really "cool" is if you can remain yourself truthfully. You will only be able to do that through God.

Getting a necklace with the cross is more appropriate to symbolize Jesus Christ. Because you don't have any environmental cause and effect attached to it.

When you get a tattoo, you were planning to gain certain things, perhaps feeling "cool" because you tend to think it looks "cool"
in front of others and associating that with the Lord is wrong.

You are still far from being with God, I challenge you to seek for God through Jesus Christ and put your heart into God - The Source of LiFe. [I am God's servant and I hope to bring people back to the Source of LiFe]

I will be happy for you when you truly feel closer to our Lord.
I am happy that you ask, because it shows the position our Lord stands in your heart. I'm very glad for that.

May God bring peace upon you. :)
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

One thing about symbols, they're only as evil as one sees them. If you feel tatoos are wrong, don't get them. If, however, you don't automatically associate them with evil, then they're just tatoos.
SourceofLiFe
Recognized Member

Post by SourceofLiFe »

Mastermind, do not find false information and excuse to justify your own cause.

It is in the bible that listed clearly that tattoo is wrong.

Obey the laws God set for us without questioning it is what really matters.

That is what faith and trust is also about.

Remember that, even if you do not associate the tattoo with evil, but by disobeying God's law, or by having a tattoo, you are making yourself a vulnerable target for Satan.

Think about it :)

Read the bible, you don't have to understand the reasons behind it, you just need to trust the reason behind it.

I hope you will make that commitment to God, because it will elevate your life. I hope to see you prosper and enjoy your life fuller. I will be happy for you, and your family will also be happy for you.

Take care my beloved friend.

May God be with you at all times.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Can you give me the exact verses that identify it as such? That said, I personally don't care much for tatoos, but I don't think something this trivial contributes to one's salvation.
SourceofLiFe
Recognized Member

Post by SourceofLiFe »

I can, but is there a need to give you the exact verse?

If there is a need to, I would of listed it.

I think you lack commitment to God, it is not something easy to say.

Through many of our direct responses, you seem to lack faith and trust in God.

You must use your own willpower and effort to win the support of God.

Don't just go to God whenever you are in need, and refuse God when you are not in need. Love God like you love your Mother and Farther.

It shows your level of commitment to our Lord when you refuse to look up on the bible yourself. It is clearly listed in the bible. Try harder my friend :) It will only benefit you for your own sake.

May God be with you.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

SourceofLiFe wrote:I can, but is there a need to give you the exact verse?

If there is a need to, I would of listed it.

I think you lack commitment to God, it is not something easy to say.

Through many of our direct responses, you seem to lack faith and trust in God.

You must use your own willpower and effort to win the support of God.

Don't just go to God whenever you are in need, and refuse God when you are not in need. Love God like you love your Mother and Farther.

It shows your level of commitment to our Lord when you refuse to look up on the bible yourself. It is clearly listed in the bible. Try harder my friend :) It will only benefit you for your own sake.

May God be with you.
It is hard to look up something in the Bible when you don't even provide me with a verse. I am also a bit annoyed at your constant assessment of my faith. You don't know me and have no right to judge whether I "lack commitment" or not.
SourceofLiFe
Recognized Member

Post by SourceofLiFe »

Perhaps I know you better than you know yourself.

I assess your commitment to God base on your action and direct comparison with the Bible. If you took the effort to remember the laws God set for us, then perhaps you wouldn't need to look it up. If you haven't seen the laws, then that means you haven't took the action and commitment to finish the Bible. That illustrate your commitment to our Lord.

You have continually trying to justify the sins and wrongfulness into rights.

That is not what God and the Bible teaches us.

You mentioned about a spirit being your mentor?

I hope you look into that spirit by confirming the spirit came from God.

Remember this my friend, you must operate by body, by being with others to form circulation. By giving to others and close to others. It is not easy going on your own, it takes effort from multiple role.

I hope you will spend some time looking up at my other post, because it may help answer some of your questions. In one of my post, I have talked about unification.

I hope you will find a mentor to guide you to your spirit, to unify you and offer source of confirmation. The spiritual realm is very complex and confusing, it is not something that we alone can be assure of.

I want you to sense my love and care for you, I hold no hostility toward you. If you are hostile and sensitive about it, then you don't see it from the good side. You must see my concern as my love and gift toward you.

May peace be with you for eternity.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

SourceofLiFe wrote:Perhaps I know you better than you know yourself.

I assess your commitment to God base on your action and direct comparison with the Bible. If you took the effort to remember the laws God set for us, then perhaps you wouldn't need to look it up. If you haven't seen the laws, then that means you haven't took the action and commitment to finish the Bible. That illustrate your commitment to our Lord.

You have continually trying to justify the sins and wrongfulness into rights.

That is not what God and the Bible teaches us.

You mentioned about a spirit being your mentor?

I hope you look into that spirit by confirming the spirit came from God.

Remember this my friend, you must operate by body, by being with others to form circulation. By giving to others and close to others. It is not easy going on your own, it takes effort from multiple role.

I hope you will spend some time looking up at my other post, because it may help answer some of your questions. In one of my post, I have talked about unification.

I hope you will find a mentor to guide you to your spirit, to unify you and offer source of confirmation. The spiritual realm is very complex and confusing, it is not something that we alone can be assure of.

I want you to sense my love and care for you, I hold no hostility toward you. If you are hostile and sensitive about it, then you don't see it from the good side. You must see my concern as my love and gift toward you.

May peace be with you for eternity.

Yes, I did mention about a spirit being my mentor. The Spirit, if you know who I'm talking about ;) And no harm done, I know you're just trying to help, but you keep coming off like an elitist.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

As for justifying sin, I'm not justifying anything. Tattoos are a part of the old law I believe, and Jesus fulfilled it. In addition, Here is my favorite part of the Bible:

Romans, chapter 14

1: Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
2: For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
3: Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
4: Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
5: One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
6: He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
7: For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
8: For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
9: For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
10: But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
11: For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
12: So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
13: Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
14: I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15: But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
16: Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
17: For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
18: For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
19: Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
20: For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
21: It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
22: Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23: And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
SourceofLiFe
Recognized Member

Post by SourceofLiFe »

It is not I who made myself an "elitist" it is you who perceive me as an "elitist", so maybe I am an "elitist", but only an "elitist" in your eyes. If you don't see me as an "elitist" you would not feel like I am making myself an "elitist"

I hope that clear up some things for you.

:) Rest assured,

being an elitist or not doesn't concern me, what concern me is being myself fully and truthfully under God's direction.

You must know that you are telling people to do what they feel is right.

That is wrong, because we human beings can be tricked, deceived and manipulated easily.

It is a dangerous advice, on the other hand, I am telling people to follow the laws set by God, by reading the Bible and unifying with other Christian to form a body.

If you spirit truly came from God and is really through Christ, then you should acknowledge and become pure.

For you are not pure, you are far from pure.

Advice like telling people to do what they feel right such as "swearing to vent away anger" and "tattoo is no much harm" is wrong.

That is disobedience to God. Never think you can get there by yourself, it is an insult to those who spent their entire life seeking for God.

Go to the Church more often, participate in those events, then you should sense the people around you, and you will see your own position.

I am happy that you trust your spirit, but you must also test your spirit and make sure it is on the right path by seeking for a confirmative source.

Best of luck to you.

I won't reply to you anymore because you refuse my help.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I don't tell people to "do as they feel". The problem with swearing isn't the swearing itself, but rather the anger. You should advice people to deal with their anger, not to stop swearing, which will just cause it to bottle up until it explodes. If the anger is gone, so is the need to swear. As for tatoos, they are as unclean as one things they are. Did you read Romans 14? From what I remember, the laws against tatoos are of the old covenant, and no longer apply to us, and I apologize if there is a new reference to them in the new testament. However, basing your salvation on such trivial matters is not very wise. In your case, I would suggest you stop judging me. If you want to give advice, give it without saying I don't know anything, I'm not good for anything, I'm not going to heaven, I'm not very pure etc. In other words, Stop JUDGING!!! That doesn't help, that just pisses people off.