In Regards to Children's Baptism

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

In Regards to Children's Baptism

Post by Lonewolf »

In your educated opinion, what would be an acceptable "age of accountability" ??
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Re: In Regards to Children's Baptism

Post by Silvertusk »

Lonewolf wrote:In your educated opinion, what would be an acceptable "age of accountability" ??

I believe It differs from person to person. Only God can tell the true mind and heart of an individual.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

do you think or believe that a young person who may have been baptized not fully understanding the meaning of the baptism, that that young person has a valid baptism?

in other words, the Lord knows the "belief" of that young person, and no matter how lacking in insight it may have been, that the Lord will accept the young person and work on such a step of faith?

or must that young person go through a later baptism when they come to better understand the gospel of good news?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Depends on the individual of course.
It's funny that Catholicism and Judaism share something in common and that is a "reconfirmation of faith" when a child gets older.
Both have a ritual of "betrothal to God" of sorts, infant baptisim for the RCC and circumcision for Judaism and both have a "reaffirmation of faith", the RCC have confirmation and Judaism has the bar/bat mitsvah.
Yes I know that are not exactly the same thing but I find it very interesting that both religions that advocate an infant "commitment to God" also require a "re-commitment" later on.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:Depends on the individual of course.
It's funny that Catholicism and Judaism share something in common and that is a "reconfirmation of faith" when a child gets older.
Both have a ritual of "betrothal to God" of sorts, infant baptisim for the RCC and circumcision for Judaism and both have a "reaffirmation of faith", the RCC have confirmation and Judaism has the bar/bat mitsvah.
Yes I know that are not exactly the same thing but I find it very interesting that both religions that advocate an infant "commitment to God" also require a "re-commitment" later on.
FYI, in the Eastern Church (which is in full communion with Rome), baptism and confirmation are done at the same time. The belief is that they are both sacraments instituted by Christ and, therefore, both are not of us but of Him. Age of accountability (or reaffirmation) is meaningless.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Byblos wrote:
FYI, in the Eastern Church (which is in full communion with Rome), baptism and confirmation are done at the same time. The belief is that they are both sacraments instituted by Christ and, therefore, both are not of us but of Him. Age of accountability (or reaffirmation) is meaningless.
I guess it all depends on one understanding of the significance of the baptism rite and whether or not full consciousness is needed for the remission of sins,
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Can anyone tell me where age of accountability is in the bible?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:Can anyone tell me where age of accountability is in the bible?
There isn't any.
In Acts Peter states that the HS is available to all, including children.

I think that infant Baptism is just as valid as adult baptism in regards to "original sin" and being brought into the body of Christ ( at least as much as circumcision is enough to bring one into the Jewish faith) BUt I can also see the point of adult baptism in which the adult is far more conscious of what is happening and why he is doing it.
That said, isn't it God the decides if a baptism is "valid" and if so, does it matter at what age?
Truly I don't know.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

I think the principle is found in Isa. 7:15.

As to the OP, like ST said, it varies from person to person. I was baptized when I was six years old. I have no doubt I understood the gospel back then.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:

As to the OP, like ST said, it varies from person to person. I was baptized when I was six years old. I have no doubt I understood the gospel back then.
I have no doubt either, considering that you completely understood the trinity by the age of three. And you read the complete works of William Shakespeare by the age of four. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:

I have no doubt either, considering that you completely understood the trinity by the age of threefour. And you read the complete works of William Shakespeare by the age of four. :mrgreen:
FTFY. Let's not exaggerate. :eugeek:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Jac3510 wrote:

Think it might also stem from verses such as

Matthew 19:14

Luke 18:15-17

Possibly.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Byblos wrote:
I guess it all depends on one understanding of the significance of the baptism rite and whether or not full consciousness is needed for the remission of sins,
Paul, in regards to "the significance of the baptism rite and whether or not full consciousness is needed for the remission of sins," I find this reading at Church History 1.0.1 to be very informative on the subject.

Link ~> http://www.churchhistory101.com/feedbac ... aptism.php
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
Domenic
Established Member

Post by Domenic »

Well since Jesus is our example for all we do...I follow the baptism as his example shows.
In Jesus time, when he was on earth, the age of an adult for Jews was 30 years old. Jesus was baptized at the age when he was an adult. So I would follow that...be baptized at the age of adult hood for your country.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Domenic wrote:Well since Jesus is our example for all we do...I follow the baptism as his example shows.
In Jesus time, when he was on earth, the age of an adult for Jews was 30 years old. Jesus was baptized at the age when he was an adult. So I would follow that...be baptized at the age of adult hood for your country.
Well, If what Jesus did is the only example then no one should be baptizing anyone since He never did ( at least not with water).
Jesus was baptized when it was time to start His ministry.
He was circumcised as per Jewish tradition.