Consciousness on-off switch?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Consciousness on-off switch?

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Consciousness on-off switch?

Post by PaulSacramento »

I used to do full contact Martial arts so I can say that, 100%, there are quite a few "on-off" switches , LOL !
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:I used to do full contact Martial arts so I can say that, 100%, there are quite a few "on-off" switches , LOL !
My respect, Paul.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

What do you get out of this article? Is it that this appears to show that our brains are nothing more but material that ceases to exist after death and that we do not have souls or are you suggesting that because this is like a actual on and off switch that it's irreducibly complex and supports intelligent design and ie God?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

DRDS wrote:What do you get out of this article? Is it that this appears to show that our brains are nothing more but material that ceases to exist after death and that we do not have souls or are you suggesting that because this is like a actual on and off switch that it's irreducibly complex and supports intelligent design and ie God?
I always marvel at the creation.

#foreverinmyheart
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Well the article did make me a little nervous since usually most of these type of articles seek to prove that naturalism is true, I mean if this finding does hold water would it in a sense prove that there is no immaterial soul so to speak?
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

I brought up this topic on a popular apologetics facebook page called the Christian Apologetics Alliance and I got some pretty good responses so far.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/caalliance/
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

DRDS wrote:Well the article did make me a little nervous since usually most of these type of articles seek to prove that naturalism is true, I mean if this finding does hold water would it in a sense prove that there is no immaterial soul so to speak?
Nothing to be nervous about. There is nothing in that article to suggest that negates dualism and the case study they used as well is a bit suspect. But at the end of the day our minds are tied to the material of our body so when the body is not working then our minds are limited. It is like an musician using a broken instrument - the sound is all wrong. That is not down to the mind but to the material body.

So I believe while we are in our bodies our souls are intertwined deeply into them and then at the point of death they are released and then put into new bodies. We were meant to function fully with brains - so I don't have any issues with this.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

DRDS wrote:Well the article did make me a little nervous since usually most of these type of articles seek to prove that naturalism is true, I mean if this finding does hold water would it in a sense prove that there is no immaterial soul so to speak?
Hey bro, veridical NDE's show that even when the on switch is off the consciousness keeps going. Try as they may, they cant get around this and the evidence for veridical NDE's keeps getting stronger and stronger. They may be able to shut the physical side down but they cant shut the spiritual side down.

Atheist physicist Sir Roger Pennrose knows this very well and that is why instead of taking the next logical step to invoking God he instead says that the soul is held within microtubules that leave the body and are still alive as quantum information. Again, Pennrose knows the evidence is very strong for life after death but he will do everything within his power to deny God, no matter how ridiculous the schemes are. :mrgreen: