Responding to rastafarians

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
EachNewDawn
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Responding to rastafarians

Post by EachNewDawn »

Hi there :)

A good number of my family members are rastafarians, and I'd like to be in a better position to respond to them. As the beliefs of rastafarianism vary quite a bit and there aren't really any formal doctrine (as I understand it), I've found it difficult to pin down exactly what they believe. I have asked a family member in the past what they believed as a rastafarian and they didn't really have much to tell me.

I was brought up in a church-going, but certainly not Christian family and I am the only one (at least, within my immediate family) who is now Christian. As the rest of my family have been embracing the beliefs of rastafarianism and "black consciousness", they have also become more hostile to Christianity. I've come to understand that my family’s rejection of Christianity is largely based on relativistic principles (although they seem very much unaware of this) and trying to equate evil actions done by people who called themselves Christians (i.e. hypocrites) and people who tried to use the Bible to justify evil actions (their concerns are only those committed against black people) with Christianity. One family member has shown passing interest in the Ethiopian Orthodox church, not because of their beliefs, but because it's "black" and "ancient" Christianity.

So, does anyone have experience of responding to what rastafarians believe or know of any good articles on the matter? There's lots of material on Islam, eastern religions, "Christian" cults, atheism, new age etc., but not that much on rastafarianism. Also, does anyone have any advice on teaching the Gospel to family members? I've spent much time praying on it, and I've tried to correct misunderstandings/lack of knowledge of Scripture and logical fallacies. I'm trying to be a testimony to Christ through my actions, but I want to be able to do more.

Each New Dawn
I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1-2)

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Responding to rastafarians

Post by B. W. »

EachNewDawn wrote:Hi there :)

A good number of my family members are rastafarians, and I'd like to be in a better position to respond to them. As the beliefs of rastafarianism vary quite a bit and there aren't really any formal doctrine (as I understand it), I've found it difficult to pin down exactly what they believe. I have asked a family member in the past what they believed as a rastafarian and they didn't really have much to tell me.

I was brought up in a church-going, but certainly not Christian family and I am the only one (at least, within my immediate family) who is now Christian. As the rest of my family have been embracing the beliefs of rastafarianism and "black consciousness", they have also become more hostile to Christianity. I've come to understand that my family’s rejection of Christianity is largely based on relativistic principles (although they seem very much unaware of this) and trying to equate evil actions done by people who called themselves Christians (i.e. hypocrites) and people who tried to use the Bible to justify evil actions (their concerns are only those committed against black people) with Christianity. One family member has shown passing interest in the Ethiopian Orthodox church, not because of their beliefs, but because it's "black" and "ancient" Christianity.

So, does anyone have experience of responding to what rastafarians believe or know of any good articles on the matter? There's lots of material on Islam, eastern religions, "Christian" cults, atheism, new age etc., but not that much on rastafarianism. Also, does anyone have any advice on teaching the Gospel to family members? I've spent much time praying on it, and I've tried to correct misunderstandings/lack of knowledge of Scripture and logical fallacies. I'm trying to be a testimony to Christ through my actions, but I want to be able to do more.

Each New Dawn
For quick reference form Wiki om these two groups see these links...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rastafari_movement

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Cons ... s_Movement

We have engaged a few Rastafarian's here on this Forum. You are correct, there are various form of Rastafarians and belief systems. However, they all enjoy cannabis and seem to venerate it above all else, which classes it as an idol. They mix Christian, Hindu, Judaism, and a bit of Zen systems into their own and each group seems to be more inclined to one of these systems. I think it is the drugs that make them sort of be egalitarianly arrogant. Now mix that with the 'Black Consciousness' political philosophy and you end up with extreme racist ideology. Your family sounds really confused and mixed up.

Since there is a wide range of beliefs in Rastafarism, which ones do they appear to gel with the most - Hindu or Zen or ???

I found it difficult to discuss much with these folks due to the cannabis and effects it has on the mind because it lingers in the body weeks after ingesting or smoking it, thus, distorting thought even though users haven't partook. They remind me of potheads and goofy. Add the racist black consciousness movement to this and wow. I suggest you find some strong Christian folks in your area who know and understand spiritual warfare, while learning about and exercising the authority in Christ you have, and pray for these folks asking the Holy Spirit to shine light asking also how to pray to break the chains these folks have.

I personally find it difficult to speak with such folks as they go on endless rabbit trials (weed talk) so a proper discussion of theology really goes no where. Best course I found is narrow down what they believe in the most out of the mix of religions and give one liners type of comments and answers as that is about as much as their minds can handle. In other words, ask the Lord to grant you slogans and drop these on them when the timing is right and let the Lord work on them.

I suggest in Prayer using the model mentioned in John 16:8,9,10 - ask the Lord to convict them that they do not really believe in the real Jesus and their sins convict them - begin there with other Christians for them.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
EachNewDawn
Acquainted Member

Post by EachNewDawn »

I will definitely keep on praying. I only started praying and reading the bible daily at the beginning of Lent this year, but I have already seen the LORD answer my prayers. I'm learning to rely on Him more and more.

I'll be moving away from home in September to go to uni and I look forward to joining the Christian Union and a church- I really do hunger for fellowship with other Christians, which I've never really had. The difficult thing at the moment is that my mother and brother are very alike and feed off each other. They sometimes assume what I believe and think and will hold on to that assumption even when I explain what I truly believe. My father, at least, is more relaxed about these things and believes what I say (unfortunately, I don't live with him). These days I tend to avoid talking about religious matters (religion was never really a topic of conversation in our house anyway), because they don't really seem to be able to engage with the matter of what biblical Christianity is and what it isn't. Neither do they seem to understand that if Christianity is true (which I am, of course, convicted it is), it is true regardless of the many people who practise a lifestyle of sin, historical deeds that have been wrongly committed in the name of Christianity, the colour of a person's skin or what race Jesus is depicted as.

Thanks, B.W. for your advice. I'm young so people don't always take me seriously, but I really value your help. :)

Each New Dawn

Edit: I just came across this article, and it really gets to the point:

http://www.tektonics.org/qt/rasta.php
Conclusion and Summary: Witnessing to Rastafarians

"Much of what Rastafarians believe may strike some as pure myth or highly subjective nonsense which will easily be swept away when members emerge from the ghetto and confront the realities of everyday life." The Rastafarians "fully expect white society in particular to dismiss out of hand what they themselves 'know' to be the truth, which rather than disconfirming only serves to strengthen the conviction they have that they are right." [46] In Jamaica, 90% of Rastafarian converts from Christian church backgrounds [47] Great difficulty attends any discussion with a Rastafarian, for "movements of this type are not interested in empirical truths, but rather in the certitude of the doctrine...if it fulfills and emotional need it can succeed" [48] and it "claims for itself an immunity from logic not granted to any other kind of knowledge system." [49] Moreover, difference of opinion in Rastafarianism is not seen as evidence of disunity, but as a source of deeper understanding [50].

One Rastafarian, in response to a query asking whether their God was a psychological prop, responded: "Those who don't know speculate, but I know, and what I know cannot be taken away by cunning arguments!" [51] The statement encapsulates well how a Rastafarian might respond to the Gospel message. The presenter may at best be presenting ideas worthy of synthesis into a programme that will not be abandoned; at worst, he may be accused of trickery and deception, even when their rational arguments cannot be refuted. Rastafarianism is a web whose strands are not easily broken or escaped.
I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1-2)

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

You can't reason with people who argue against reason. They "reason" that reason doesn't apply; of course, in doing so, they prove themselves wrong. That is, they use a logical argument to show that logic doesn't work. But if logic doesn't work, then their argument against logic--that is, their reason for rejecting logic--fails. When someone is that steeped in self-refuting nonsense, then what you have not an intellectual problem. It is, rather, a problem of the will.

And that's where you start. You have to ask yourself if the problem you are facing is a problem of the will or of the intellect and whether or not and/or to the degree to which it is emotionally motivated. These people choose to believe what they know to be nonsense--they know it so much that they argue that sense does not apply--and they do so because they are emotionally motivated. So are they attracted to something in Rastafarianism? Or are they being rebelled by something else, such that Rastafarianism is attractive? When you answer that, rather than dealing with it on an intellectual level, you meet it where it is. Can you join them in their grievance? Can you join them in what they find attractive? Can you share in that joy or fear explicitly, intentionally, and vocally from your Christianity?

In all that, you need to know why you believe what you do. When they get around to asking, be ready with an answer. Be ready to talk about Jesus, specifically with reference to their emotional concerns. Point them to Him, not to a set of doctrines. Let them meet the Master, and He will draw them. You just be His witness.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Rastas are a trip., you can't talk to them like you would any ordinary religious person for they are outside the establishment system of religious tought., Bob Marley summarized the rasta mind in with these lyrics..

Most people think great God will come from the sky
Take away everything, and make everybody feel high
But if you know what life is worth
You would look for yours on earth
And now you see the light
You stand up for your right, yeah

Get Up, Stand Up. Life is your right
So we can't give up the fight
Stand up for your right, Lord, Lord
Get Up, Stand Up. Keep on struggling on
Don't give up the fight

We're sick and tired of your ism and skism game
Die and go to heaven in Jesus' name, Lord
We know when we understand
Almighty God is a living man
You can fool some people sometimes
But you can't fool all the people all the time
So now we see the light
We going to stand up for our right

Rastas fight for equality and justice are for this world here and now
Rastas are militant in that regards
The norms of society, including society's interpretation of what being spiritual means, are not the same with Rastas
Spirituality to rastas is to take action against injustice, thus militancy takes on a spiritual quality for them
Black man is the oppressed one, therefore whitey is the devil
Not that white is the devil itself, but when whitey oppresses the black man, whitey thus become the devil
The bible follows the white man's rules as it is interpreted, but to rastas, stories in the bible like the queen of Sheeba., Solomon's seed., tell the real story

Rastas in their feeling irie state of mind are like the utopian black version of people like John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

How can you make sense to a Rasta? Don't come as yourself, thinking "you" can save them., for it is Christ who saves., and it is Him who places "eunuchs" in one's path.
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Rick, above post reminded me of our versions of Imagine you and I wrote for some poster. ;)
(Forgive me my interruption)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Here's a link to a quick rundown on basic Rasta Theology v v

http://www.faith-theology.com/2009/12/r ... ology.html
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!