Science and theology

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
kowalskil
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Framework

Science and theology

Post by kowalskil »

Some of you might be interested in extracts from a theological presentation--of a Russian Orthodox priest--that I just posted at:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/sysoev.html

Comments will be appreciated,

Ludwik
Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia) is the author of a FREE ON-LINE autobiography, entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

//csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html

It is a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).
The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will we experience it.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Science and theology

Post by 1over137 »

And what about the times when people thought that sun moves around our planet?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:And what about the times when people thought that sun moves around our planet?
See, that was a scientific fact for those days.
Science is about observation and experimentation and in those days, it was observed that the sun moved around the planet.
Later on of course it was proven that it was the Earth rotating BUT the science in those days was sound.

There is a lesson there of course for modern scientists.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
1over137 wrote:And what about the times when people thought that sun moves around our planet?
Science is about observation and experimentation and in those days, it was observed that the sun moved around the planet.
Later on of course it was proven that it was the Earth rotating BUT the science in those days was sound.

But scientists emerged (Galilei, Bruno), saying that in fact earth moves around the sun. And what catholics did? Claimed they are heretics. Bruno was killed, Galilei put to home prison.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

But scientists emerged (Galilei, Bruno), saying that in fact earth moves around the sun. And what catholics did? Claimed they are heretics. Bruno was killed, Galilei put to home prison.
You are kidding right?
You do realize that Galileo was put on house arrest NOT because of his theories ( and that is all he had, no proof yet) but because he insulted and ridiculed the Pope when it was the Church that was his biggets supporter.
Both were Catholics by the way and Bruno was killed NOT because of his scientific views but because he was a Dominican and denied the trinity, Christ's divinity, Mary virginity and he was a Pantheist.
He was found guilty during the inquisition and burned at the stake.
I think it is important to remember that the church has always been pro science and that some of the greatest scientists of the past were even priests.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I need vacation.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

1over137 wrote:I need vacation.
Don't we all !
LOL !
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

There is one think I have learned and that is to always investigate any story as best we can.
Here is a very good read:
Galileo Goes to Jail and Other Myths about Science and Religion Hardcover – April 30, 2009