Differences in morality

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
EachNewDawn
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Differences in morality

Post by EachNewDawn »

Hi,

I sometimes find myself in a situation where I make the moral decision against doing something that other people want me to. I care more about doing what I understand to right and pleasing the LORD than doing something I don't agree with to please other people. I think this is situation many people, whether Christian or not, find themselves in. I'm just not sure how to deal with it when a family member asks or expects me to do something and then blows up when I explain I'm not comfortable with doing it. There have been two incidents like this in the past few months. The first left me in tears and the second almost did so as well. On both occasions I did what I thought was right, as the LORD has greater authority over me. I want to be able to respond with patience and respect, but I'm not an assertive person, so I find it difficult to explain myself. How can I better deal with these situations?

Each New Dawn
I love the LORD, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live. (Psalm 116:1-2)

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Differences in morality

Post by RickD »

It can be difficult making the right decision. But as long as you are doing what your conscience tells you, you can rest in that. I believe there are some gray areas that each believer can decide between himself and God. I can only say it may get easier, the more you live by what the HS/your conscience is telling you. Unfortunately, we cannot get other people to agree with us. Just remember, there can be things that Christians disagree on. For example, drinking alcohol. One believer might feel lead to abstain. Another might feel it's ok to have a few drinks. On matters of conscience we need to try not to judge each other.

And if it makes you feel any better, I may get fired sooner or later from my job, because I can't keep quiet when I see blatant hypocrisy by my managers. They like mindless people who just keep quiet and do their jobs. If my conscience is telling me to speak up about something, I'm going to regardless of what they say or do.

So no, it's not easy sometimes.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Rick,
If you think you are being unfairly treated, start keeping a log. You might also record conversations. Remember to not stoop to their level out of frustration.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:Rick,
If you think you are being unfairly treated, start keeping a log. You might also record conversations. Remember to not stoop to their level out of frustration.
Unfairly? No. They treat everyone there equally crappy. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony