What does it mean to repent?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

What does it mean to repent?

Post by Kenny »

Jesus said "Unless you repent ye shall likewise perish" What did Jesus mean when he said this? Did this mean a change in behavior? To ask forgiveness of past bad behaviors? Or something else. Is this something that applies only to the people he was talking to or is this something that everyone must do?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: What does it mean to repent?

Post by RickD »

That's a very good question Kenny. :clap:

And here's the answer from our very own Professor Morrison:
http://cmmorrison.wordpress.com/?s=Repent&submit=Search

In order to be saved, everyone must repent, or change ones mind about who Christ is, and what He has done.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:That's a very good question Kenny. :clap:

In order to be saved, everyone must repent, or change ones mind about who Christ is, and what He has done.
Thanx for the reply Rick. So is it fair to say that repenting is only for those of other religions or no religion at all? In other words; if a person was raised in a Christian home and was taught who Christ is and what he has done from birth and has always believed it; would it be fair to say this person does not need to repent because he already believes?

Ken
RickD wrote
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Kenny wrote:

Thanx for the reply Rick. So is it fair to say that repenting is only for those of other religions or no religion at all? In other words; if a person was raised in a Christian home and was taught who Christ is and what he has done from birth and has always believed it; would it be fair to say this person does not need to repent because he already believes?

Ken
Hey ken, nice to hear from you again :wave:
Its a journey, our Christian walk is a journey, we grow and sometimes we fall a little behind. I agree repent means to change ones mind, to understand who Christ is. That understanding brings a reflection upon ourselves and upon sin. I repent everyday, because everyday I fall short, repentance is making continual improvements. It's not about being sinless, that is impossible, the only thing we have to give up to be saved is our unbelief but in understanding that we need Jesus' grace to save us changes our desires, our hearts. I repent now not to be saved, Jesus did that on the cross, but because through His mercy I want to honour His sacrifice and love.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

melanie wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Hey ken, nice to hear from you again :wave:
Its a journey, our Christian walk is a journey, we grow and sometimes we fall a little behind. I agree repent means to change ones mind, to understand who Christ is. That understanding brings a reflection upon ourselves and upon sin. I repent everyday, because everyday I fall short, repentance is making continual improvements. It's not about being sinless, that is impossible, the only thing we have to give up to be saved is our unbelief but in understanding that we need Jesus' grace to save us changes our desires, our hearts. I repent now not to be saved, Jesus did that on the cross, but because through His mercy I want to honour His sacrifice and love.
Thanks for the reply Melanie.
So if I understand you correctly, repenting is a daily effort all Christians make to improve their lives, and because they will never be perfect, (like Jesus) there will always be room for improvement thus Christians will repent from the mistakes they make on a daily basis in an effort to become better. Is this correct?

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:Jesus said "Unless you repent ye shall likewise perish" What did Jesus mean when he said this? Did this mean a change in behavior? To ask forgiveness of past bad behaviors? Or something else. Is this something that applies only to the people he was talking to or is this something that everyone must do?

Ken
Kenny,

Specifically regarding your question, and the meaning of repent, Jesus was talking about a change of mind. Not about feeling sorry or changing behavior to live a certain way. I think the response in the link I posted explains that pretty well.

Repent and believe in Christ, simply means change your mind about who Christ is and what He has done, and trust Him for salvation.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:Jesus said "Unless you repent ye shall likewise perish" What did Jesus mean when he said this? Did this mean a change in behavior? To ask forgiveness of past bad behaviors? Or something else. Is this something that applies only to the people he was talking to or is this something that everyone must do?

Ken
Kenny,

Specifically regarding your question, and the meaning of repent, Jesus was talking about a change of mind. Not about feeling sorry or changing behavior to live a certain way. I think the response in the link I posted explains that pretty well.

Repent and believe in Christ, simply means change your mind about who Christ is and what He has done, and trust Him for salvation.
Again; how about those who do not need to change their mind about who Christ is and what he has done because of their Christian upbringing? Is it fair to say they have no need to repent?
RickD wrote
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Kenny, as Christians we hold many different opinions, one opinion we share which is the most relevant and important is the life, resurrection and salvation of Jesus. Some other things we reconcile with ourselves and God. I don't disagree with Rick, but they really at the end of the day mean, well should mean the same thing. To have a change of mind, to accept Jesus into your heart in essence changes your behaviour, because when we invite Jesus into our hearts, The Holy Spirit lives within us and changes our desires from that of the world to the spirit, this change of heart allow us to view our 'old' ways and wrongdoings in a light of wanting to change, not because we have to but because we want to, this is what is called the fruits of the spirit.
We should not seek repentance for things that we have repented for because we are no longer in bondage to these dead works. "Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God" (Hebrews 6.1) re-repentance for past sins is not needed and suggests that Jesus did not fully heal us and set us free from our sins, we do not need to ask for forgiveness again and again.
But God has given us eyes that we may see, to see the salvation of Jesus and to see ourselves, as God see's us, righteous by the blood of Jesus. Our love and relationship with God lets us see our sins and not be defeated by them, but strengthened by the mercy of our saviour, in recognising our sins, the power of God and the mercy of Jesus, sets us on a path of a changed heart that in turn causes us to turn from our sins as we grow and mature in Christ.
I dont repent everyday, ask for forgiveness so that I might have salvation, I repent because my change of heart towards my saviour makes me so grateful and fills me with love because of the extent of His mercy. I don't repent to be a better christian I repent to grow my relationship with Jesus.
In Christ, we are forgiven from our sins, but if we refuse to recognize and confess our own sins and failings, we have rendered ourselves unusable for his purpose and plan. I don't repent for His forgiveness so that I might have salvation, I repent for forgiveness so that I might share in His glory, love and purpose for me. So that through my change of heart, I can grow with and in Jesus. Having a change of heart, recognising Christ but building no relationship with Him, really isn't a 'change' by definition at all.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

Again; how about those who do not need to change their mind about who Christ is and what he has done because of their Christian upbringing? Is it fair to say they have no need to repent?
We all need to repent. I was in this situation, raised Christian, going to church, Sunday-school, and I believed, I have always believed and known the message of Christ. But I was lost, lost in the world and lost in my sin. I was making wrong choices left, right and center and my sins were many and varied, I still sin, but I am no longer in bondage to them.
I didn't fall to my knees and ask God to forgive me, because of guilt, I did it because without My Father firmly in my heart and center of my spirit, I am stumbling. God didn't lift me up because I had realised my sinful ways, had seen I was a 'bad' girl that needed repentance, but because when I was hurting so was Jesus. He does not want to see one of His own, burdened , troubled and lost in the world. He brings us to Him not so we can see how wicked we are, but so we can find peace and love in His presence.
The repentance I have now is so that I stay firmly in Gods love not lost in the world.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

melanie wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

We all need to repent. I was in this situation, raised Christian, going to church, Sunday-school, and I believed, I have always believed and known the message of Christ. But I was lost, lost in the world and lost in my sin. I was making wrong choices left, right and center and my sins were many and varied, I still sin, but I am no longer in bondage to them.
I didn't fall to my knees and ask God to forgive me, because of guilt, I did it because without My Father firmly in my heart and center of my spirit, I am stumbling. God didn't lift me up because I had realised my sinful ways, had seen I was a 'bad' girl that needed repentance, but because when I was hurting so was Jesus. He does not want to see one of His own, burdened , troubled and lost in the world. He brings us to Him not so we can see how wicked we are, but so we can find peace and love in His presence.
The repentance I have now is so that I stay firmly in Gods love not lost in the world.
So when you repent now, what exactly do you do? Do you attempt a change in behavior? Do you ask God to forgive you for the sins you may have committed? What do you do?

Ken
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

I was specifically answering the question in your op. I'm not saying a believer has no need to repent. Just no need to repent regarding salvation, because that was the point of your op.

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

I was specifically answering the question in your op. I'm not saying a believer has no need to repent. Just no need to repent regarding salvation, because that was the point of your op.
Now regarding, what repentance is after one is saved is of a different matter and to answer that, then please read the Scriptures (Rom 12:2) and how does it answer that?

Rom 12:1-4, "Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. 3 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. 4 For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function..." NASB
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

Thanx for answering my question. A follow-up question; what type of repenting is required of believers?

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

B. W. wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kenny wrote:
RickD wrote:

Ken
Kenny,

Now regarding, what repentance is after one is saved is of a different matter and to answer that, then please read the Scriptures (Rom 12:2) and how does it answer that?

Rom 12:1-4, "Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. 3 For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith. 4 For just as we have many members in one body and all the members do not have the same function..." NASB
-
-
-
So if I understand you correctly, the person raised with christian upbringing and knows who Jesus is and what he has done repents by living his life in a way that represents Christianity in a positive light? Is this what you mean? Or am I misunderstanding you.

Ken
RickD wrote
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

When God opens my eyes and I see that I have sinned, I repent. I ask God for forgiveness, I try to be better follower of Christ. There are times God humbles me and I am humbled.

You mentioned above the word 'required'. Well, I do not repent because of some requirement, but because I love our Father, am grateful for His love toward us, toward me. He is merciful, patient, loving, honorable and I just am humbled when realizing that am not perfect being, that I sin and that He is forgiving.

I hope that one day you do not try to fill some requirements, but do your deeds out of love and gratitude.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart