Catholics and Christians

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
militarynewb
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Catholics and Christians

Post by militarynewb »

Stupid question here i know. I'm pretty confident I already know the answer, but I am curious what others say about it. Do both Christians and Catholics go to heaven? My answer would be yes, because their foundation is the same. Believe Jesus and your Lord and Savior, and perform good works for the Lord. Comments?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Catholics and Christians

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

militarynewb wrote: Do both Christians and Catholics go to heaven?
Catholics are Christians.
militarynewb wrote:Believe Jesus [is] your Lord and Savior, and perform good works for the Lord. Comments?
The ''good works'' part is wrong. We are saved by God's grace alone. Good works will result in heavenly rewards but are useless to get you the entry visa.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
militarynewb
Familiar Member

Post by militarynewb »

I mean Protestant Christians and Catholic Christians.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

OK...you forgot the Eastern Orthodox and Messianic Jews...
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Don't get caught up in denominations.
A Christian is anyone that puts His faith in Jesus Christ as the Son of God, Lord and saviour and the grace we have THROUGH Him.
Beyond that is politics and human doctrine.
militarynewb
Familiar Member

Post by militarynewb »

Thanks Paul, that was my belief as well
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

I guess you can label me a semi-Catholic., all in my family are Catholic. I was originally baptized as a child in the Catholic church and later I married as an adult in the Catholic church. I still attend services from time to time in the Catholic church. And I strongly believe that Catholics are faithful to Christ's atonement, although I disagree with some -if not a lot- of what the hierarchy teaches under their own interpretation of scripture. But I do hold a lot of respect for many Catholics, even the clergy. I am however not a Catholic if you were to measure me by Protestant or Evangelical standards. Having said all that, do I believe that Catholics go to heaven (whenever or wherever heaven is), my answer is a wholeheartedly YES!
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!