Is "Justifiable Homicide" acceptable in Christianity ?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
LittleHamster
Valued Member
Christian: Yes

Is "Justifiable Homicide" acceptable in Christianity ?

Post by LittleHamster »

Situation:

Your caught up in a war. An angry, armed crowd is approaching you very fast while shooting everything down that stands in their way. You have your thumb on the detonator ready to blow them to kingdom come.

What do you do ?

Note: there are some Christians that would say it would be ok in this case to press the button.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Is "Justifiable Homicide" acceptable in Christianity ?

Post by B. W. »

LittleHamster wrote:Situation:

Your caught up in a war. An angry, armed crowd is approaching you very fast while shooting everything down that stands in their way. You have your thumb on the detonator ready to blow them to kingdom come.

What do you do ?

Note: there are some Christians that would say it would be ok in this case to press the button.
Eccl 3:1 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--
Eccl 3:2 A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.
Eccl 3:3 A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up.
Eccl 3:4 A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance.
Eccl 3:5 A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.
Eccl 3:6 A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away.
Eccl 3:7 A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak.
Eccl 3:8 A time to love and a time to hate; A time for war and a time for peace.

In the case you mentioned - is a time for war and yes - a time to kill...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

How would one interpret "Thou shall not Kill" then ?

I know that if it was in defense of children (say a person with a machine gun was attacking them), I guess i might have to kill if it was the only option available and that the death to those children was imminent.

This is mainly because my lack of inaction (which is still an action) would cause the death of those children.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

LittleHamster wrote:
It actually should read "murder", not kill.

This article explains the Hebrew meaning.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

RickD wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:
It actually should read "murder", not kill.

This article explains the Hebrew meaning.

Thanks for that article. It seems like "Murder" is the proper word.

Now, "turning the other cheek". That may not be applicable in similar life/death situations !
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The issue is one of intent and alternatives.
WHY kill? is there any other alternative?
In the end every action we make, we will have to answer for and to a God that KNOWS why we did it.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

What about Jesus. If the Roman's were going to kill a bunch of kids. Would Jesus have pulled out a spear and 'rectified' the situation ?
I figure that God the Father wouldn't even create such circumstances to put his own son in so the point is probably moot.

I think you explained it well P.S. To use an analogy, If one of my kids was going to kill all my other children out of extreme hatred and then another of my children stopped that happening by way of lethal force, I would not hold it against him (although I'd be pretty sad about it).
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

Justifiable Homicide., I wonder what was going through Cain's mind when he feared that someone out there would find him and kill him ~> himself just having killed Abel y:-?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

LittleHamster wrote:What about Jesus. If the Roman's were going to kill a bunch of kids. Would Jesus have pulled out a spear and 'rectified' the situation ?
I figure that God the Father wouldn't even create such circumstances to put his own son in so the point is probably moot.

I think you explained it well P.S. To use an analogy, If one of my kids was going to kill all my other children out of extreme hatred and then another of my children stopped that happening by way of lethal force, I would not hold it against him (although I'd be pretty sad about it).
I think it is important to understand that Jesus IS not and WAS not "one of us" in that way, He was so far above us.
He MAY have allowed it to happen, know very well that their spirits would go to Him and they would know LOVE for greater than anything they could imagine BUT He probably would have, being the Son Of God, talked them out of it if that was what He felt needed to be done.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

PaulSacramento wrote:I think it is important to understand that Jesus IS not and WAS not "one of us" in that way, He was so far above us.
He MAY have allowed it to happen, know very well that their spirits would go to Him and they would know LOVE for greater than anything they could imagine BUT He probably would have, being the Son Of God, talked them out of it if that was what He felt needed to be done.
Thanks for that.
I was also thinking along the lines of that since Jesus was a representation of God, then, what purpose would God have for putting Jesus in a situation like that anyway ? None really.
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

Sometimes I can't help to think that justifiable homicide is right by any measure., it's just that we ~> for the most part, are cowards in getting it done., we think of the repercussions., we think of religion and whatnot., and we coward., and i think most world leaders., most people who call the shots in society at large realize that too, and so ~> they take advantage of us who tremble at taking action in a justifiable action! Almost like that hell thing hanging over our heads not to do anything bad.
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

LittleHamster wrote:How would one interpret "Thou shall not Kill" then ?

I know that if it was in defense of children (say a person with a machine gun was attacking them), I guess i might have to kill if it was the only option available and that the death to those children was imminent.

This is mainly because my lack of inaction (which is still an action) would cause the death of those children.
By the original usage of the word translated kill in the text cite - which is better translated as - premeditated murder - in our language and understanding.

In fact, sin murders relationships, betrays, abandons, neglects, rejects, fosters bitterness - so why does humanity keep doing these murders and then blame God they way they do?

So justifiable killing is killing the serial killers and murderous whacked out depraved folks found guilty beyond all reason doubt...It has to be done.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys