Objective Morality

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Objective Morality

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:PaulSacramento
The FACT is that there IS such a thing as right and wrong and everyone is aware of it.

Ken
People are aware of right and wrong, but they do not agree on right and wrong. If morality were objective, everybody would agree; just like math.

PaulSacramento
How is it demonstrated? By observation right now, by recorded history, even by the innate KNOWLEDGE that all humans ( baring those with mental problems) have.
It is demonstrable, repeatable and there is evidence AND proof of a universal knowledge that right and wrong do exist.

Ken
Observation, recorded history, and knowledge do not demonstrate morality. I could demonstrate the sum of all 3 angles of a triangle equals 180 degrees. That’s objective. Can you do that with morality?

Ken
Lets try this again:
EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE and ANY time in history believe that there IS such as THING as right and wrong.
That is the first thing you must accept because it if proven and demonstrable THEN and NOW.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Kenny wrote: that then there is no point in further discussion.
No my friend; I am not confused; I was making the point that morality was subjective; not objective.
Ken, not to be offensive, but in doing so you are making an objective truth claim. You are failing to recognize your error, and thus you are confused. You said that something can be objectively wrong for one person but not another. That is a logical absurdity. Like a four sided triangle.

If morality were objective, right and wrong would be as inescapable as gravity.
And as a theist, I most certainly agree. Ultimately. Temporally, as moral beings we are interpreting reality. sometimes our interpretations correspond to reality and sometimes they don't. This only further proves the point. If we say, those cultures that practiced human sacrifice had it WRONG, then what are we stating? This implies a way things ought to be and that human sacrifice is in conflict. So, people get morality wrong, just like they get math wrong. Stating 2+2=5 doesn't mean math doesn't exist.

Ken
Do you know of a standard that everybody agrees on?
Again, this is the philosophical problem i mentioned. You are asking an epistemological question. All cultures and societies do employ governance and law. But the particular law is not OM. However those laws do help us discover that there is a way we OUGHT to act. Take the golden rule for example. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Is this rule OM? No. But it is rooted in OM. It is true in all places and all times regardless of opinion. You could say that having law and justice is BETTER than having none. That would be evidence of objective moral values. The term BETTER denotes measurement. Just like 'taller' or 'shorter'. This all comes back to whether there is a way things OUGHT to be. Regarding human behavior we can most certainly know that some ways and methods are BETTER than others. If we are measuring, then we aren't being arbitrary, but appealing to a fixed point or measure.

Ken
That’s because everybody agrees on the standard of measurement. Do you know of a moral standard everybody agrees on?
Uh, no they don't. The standards of measurement vary. In fact there has always been disagreement here in the US about adopting the metric system. Should things be measured in yards or meter? But that doesn't change whether or not we all believe that nature is measurable.
Ken
The reality is; people only matter to people; (and maybe the few animals we adopt as pets) but to all the other forms of life, we don’t matter. Do you really think the snake, the bear, the shark, or the cockroach think people matter? They think they matter more than humans; if you don't believe me try getting between a mother bear and her cubs and see if she isn't willing to sacrafice your life for the safety of her cubs. If “people matter” were objectively true, it would be as apparent to those creatures as it is to us.
What. Ken this is a swing and a miss. Why would it be apparent to an amoral creature? That is nonsensical. Where does the notion of OM imply that amoral creatures do such things? It appears you are trying to avoid the implications. The reason a person shouldn't get between a bear and her cubs has nothing to do with whether objective moral values exist.
Ken
No! I believe it is subjectively wrong.
Nothing personal, but what you believe is subjective. So, why should we have any reason to even consider your opinion?
You are claiming that morality is always subjective. In doing so, you've lit the fuse to blow up your own argument. Because you are saying that in all places and all times, regardless of opinion, morality is subjective. That my friend is an objective truth claim about reality.

Also, By saying such you are also admitting that it is also subjectively right and good to torture puppies for pleasure. Even though you disapprove, you are stating that there is some potential situation where it is good, right and just to torture puppies for pleasure. It's just your opinion after all. It's like flipping a coin, it lands heads up, and then trying to infer that tails doesn't exist. If you declare that there is nothing objectively true regarding ethics and morality, then you must (no matter how appalling) admit that the opposite is equally true.

Ken
It would be my opinion verses theirs.
Now supposed you visited the same Island but they also had a sacred text that said torturing puppies for pleasure is good. Would you have any objective reason to resist or would it be your opinion verses theirs and your sacred text against their sacred text?

Ken
Of course. Because it isn't a matter of opinion. It is objectively wrong to torture puppies for pleasure, regardless of popular opinion or whether it is written in a religious text. Ken, I don't think you realize the implications of what you are proposing. Thank goodness abolitionist didn't adopt your reasoning. It's like saying, "I don't like slavery, but it isn't objectively wrong. The majority like it, so I'll just keep my minority opinion to myself."
Ken, the reality is that you don't really live like that. You are trying to hold and defend an untenable position and making yourself look foolish in the process.
Last edited by jlay on Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Kenny wrote:
Yes it is a part of the definition, but that definition does not explain why specific behaviors are objectively right or wrong.

K
How we come to know whether certain behaviors are wrong is different than whether objective moral values exist.
If i never learned math, it doesn't change whether math accurately interprets nature. (Where does math exist BTW?)
Or, let's suppose i have a learning disability. What does that change about reality? Nothing. My inability to understand such things doesn't change the nature of things. You continually keep mixing epistemology and ontology. Don't worry, most of here are guilty of the same thing.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think Ken is confusing the whether right and wrong exist with the STANDARD of WHAT IS right and wrong.
Objective morality means that right and wrong DO exist and that has been proven both philosophically and historically.
The STANDARDS can be subjective, though not as much as many people think they are.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento
Lets try this again:
EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE and ANY time in history believe that there IS such as THING as right and wrong

Ken
I agree!

Paulsacramento
Objective morality means that right and wrong DO exist and that has been proven both philosophically and historically.

Ken
Subjectively morality means we don’t always agree on what is right and what is wrong, and the truth of it cannot be demonstrated.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Jlay
How we come to know whether certain behaviors are wrong is different than whether objective moral values exist.
If i never learned math, it doesn't change whether math accurately interprets nature. (Where does math exist BTW?)

Ken
As you said; math interprets reality. The equation 2+2=4 is made up of representative tokens. It is those tokens that represent Objective reality.

Jlay
Or, let's suppose i have a learning disability. What does that change about reality? Nothing. My inability to understand such things doesn't change the nature of things. You continually keep mixing epistemology and ontology. Don't worry, most of here are guilty of the same thing.
Ken
Not sure what you are saying here; are you saying objective morality does exist even though mankind may not be able to understand it?

Jlay
Ken, not to be offensive, but in doing so you are making an objective truth claim. You are failing to recognize your error, and thus you are confused.
Ken
I never said objective truth claims don’t exist; I said objective morality doesn’t exist.

Jlay
You said that something can be objectively wrong for one person but not another. That is a logical absurdity. Like a four sided triangle.
Ken
Are you confusing me with someone else? Haven’t I made it clear that I believe right & wrong, morality & immorality are subjective; not objective? Why would I claim that it can be objective for some but not others? Perhaps you should read again what you thought I said; I think we have a misunderstanding here.

Jlay
And as a theist, I most certainly agree. Ultimately. Temporally, as moral beings we are interpreting reality. sometimes our interpretations correspond to reality and sometimes they don't. This only further proves the point. If we say, those cultures that practiced human sacrifice had it WRONG, then what are we stating? This implies a way things ought to be and that human sacrifice is in conflict. So, people get morality wrong, just like they get math wrong. Stating 2+2=5 doesn't mean math doesn't exist.

Ken
Give me a pencil and paper and I can demonstrate why 2+2 = 4; not 5. Can you demonstrate to a person who does not share your moral values that human sacrifice is wrong?

Jlay
Again, this is the philosophical problem i mentioned. You are asking an epistemological question. All cultures and societies do employ governance and law. But the particular law is not OM. However those laws do help us discover that there is a way we OUGHT to act. Take the golden rule for example. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Is this rule OM? No. But it is rooted in OM. It is true in all places and all times regardless of opinion.

Ken
Really? Suppose I like to watch other men have sex with my wife? Does that mean I should have sex with someone else’s wife?

Jlay
You could say that having law and justice is BETTER than having none. That would be evidence of objective moral values. The term BETTER denotes measurement. Just like 'taller' or 'shorter'.

Ken
I disagree! Better means superior to, or preferred. It is not a means of measurement. And too often better is just a matter of opinion. Are apples better than oranges? Which system of measurement would you use to justify this claim?

Jlay
This all comes back to whether there is a way things OUGHT to be. Regarding human behavior we can most certainly know that some ways and methods are BETTER than others. If we are measuring, then we aren't being arbitrary, but appealing to a fixed point or measure.
Ken
How do you measure behaviour?

Jlay
Uh, no they don't. The standards of measurement vary. In fact there has always been disagreement here in the US about adopting the metric system. Should things be measured in yards or meter? But that doesn't change whether or not we all believe that nature is measurable.
Ken
Whether or not the US adopts the metric system or not doesn’t matter! Mankind agrees on the distance of an inch, a meter, a mile, a foot or a kilometer. The same cannot be said for morality.

Jlay
What. Ken this is a swing and a miss. Why would it be apparent to an amoral creature? That is nonsensical. Where does the notion of OM imply that amoral creatures do such things? It appears you are trying to avoid the implications. The reason a person shouldn't get between a bear and her cubs has nothing to do with whether objective moral values exist.

Ken
I was only making the point that humans only matter to humans. That makes the claim "humans matter" subjective.

Jlay
Nothing personal, but what you believe is subjective. So, why should we have any reason to even consider your opinion?
You are claiming that morality is always subjective. In doing so, you've lit the fuse to blow up your own argument. Because you are saying that in all places and all times, regardless of opinion, morality is subjective. That my friend is an objective truth claim about reality.

Ken
Nobody in this conversation said truth claims cannot be objective.

Jlay
Also, By saying such you are also admitting that it is also subjectively right and good to torture puppies for pleasure. Even though you disapprove, you are stating that there is some potential situation where it is good, right and just to torture puppies for pleasure. It's just your opinion after all
Ken
Now that is absurd! I said nothing of the sort. I am saying I am unable to prove/demonstrate to someone who does not share my moral values that torturing puppies is bad. Can you demonstrate to such a person why torturing puppies is bad?

Jlay
Of course. Because it isn't a matter of opinion. It is objectively wrong to torture puppies for pleasure, regardless of popular opinion or whether it is written in a religious text.
Ken
That’s what YOU say. Suppose they say torturing puppies for pleasure is objectively right regardless of your minority opinion? Now it’s your words against theirs! You’re in the same boat I would be in my friend!

Ken
Last edited by Kenny on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
RickD wrote
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Could this be universal morality: Do not kill all people? :shock:
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Lets try this again:
EVERYONE, EVERYWHERE and ANY time in history believe that there IS such as THING as right and wrong

Ken
I agree!

Paulsacramento

Ken
Subjectively morality means we don’t always agree on what is right and what is wrong, and the truth of it cannot be demonstrated.

Ken

Yes, Ken, WHAT is viewed as right and wrong CAN be subjective, but right and wrong is objective, you got it.
The reality is that subjective morality is really NOT that huge a difference as some people make it seem.
We all agree that there is such a thing as right and wrong and mostly agree that what can be viewed as right and wrong may not always be the same for everyone, every culture.
Yes?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Lets try this again:

Ken
I agree!

Paulsacramento

Ken

Ken

Yes, Ken, WHAT is viewed as right and wrong CAN be subjective, but right and wrong is objective, you got it.
So if I understand you correctly, in theory; a specific action could be right, but nobody is aware of it; everybody believes it is wrong. Is this what you are saying?

Ken
RickD wrote
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Kenny wrote: As you said; math interprets reality. The equation 2+2=4 is made up of representative tokens. It is those tokens that represent Objective reality.
Yes, and law, justice, good, evil, etc., are tokens (for lack of a better word) that represent objective reality.
Not sure what you are saying here; are you saying objective morality does exist even though mankind may not be able to understand it?
Objective reality exists even if there are no living beings to understand it. This is an odd thing to conceptualize, but let's assume that tomorrow humans ceased to exist. Would the murders, genocide, and crime committed by people still be wrong? Yes.
I would say interpret instead of understand. I would say all people in all times and places recognize right and wrong and that there is a way things ought to be. I would also say that these interpretations can be perverted and distorted. That is consistent with the biblical concept of sin and that the human mind can twist and pervert the truth.
I never said objective truth claims don’t exist; I said objective morality doesn’t exist.
y:-/
Are you confusing me with someone else? Haven’t I made it clear that I believe right & wrong, morality & immorality are subjective; not objective? Why would I claim that it can be objective for some but not others? Perhaps you should read again what you thought I said; I think we have a misunderstanding here.
No. I quoted you in previous reply.
Give me a pencil and paper and I can demonstrate why 2+2 = 4; not 5. Can you demonstrate to a person who does not share your moral values that human sacrifice is wrong?
Of course I could. It is wrong. That is why you can educate a culture to recognize this and cease the practice. But that isn't the point. There are plenty of things regarding math that you could not demonstrate. Your inability to demonstrate them doesn't change whether they are. When you speak of math, you are right to mention tokens. These tokens don't actually exist at all. They correspond to physical reality. In the case of morality we are dealing with metaphysical concepts. You are arguing a point by attempting to use logic. Where does logic exist? Perhaps I live in a place where logic is rejected as well as morality. And since we disagree, I just choose to end your life with violence. Are you saying that this culture is no less credible, morally speaking? Are you really saying it's only a matter of opinion? Are you really saying, you could not recognize that this culture is wrong (objectively).I doubt you live your life like that. If someone broke into your home today and raped and beat your family, I doubt you are going to say, "Well, they have their moral preferences and I have mine."
Ken
Really? Suppose I like to watch other men have sex with my wife? Does that mean I should have sex with someone else’s wife?
Easy. Your desire is not in line with what is objectively good and right. Are you trying to prove my point here? This desire is depraved. We can measure that it is such, and know that the GR isn't applicable. You cannot divest the GR from OM and then apply it to behaviors that are diametrically opposed to OM. Like i said the GR isn't OM, but a rule that points toward the source of OM. But you actually proved a wonderful point as there are many atheist who appeal to the GR as some type of moral symmetry in and of itself. You scratch my back, i'll scratch yours. your example blows up their position, because there is nothing to ground the GR and no way to exclude sadistic examples such as the one you provided. So, you are actually tearing down a growing version of atheistic objective morality. Congrats!

I disagree! Better means superior to, or preferred. It is not a means of measurement. And too often better is just a matter of opinion. Are apples better than oranges? Which system of measurement would you use to justify this claim?
No, you are conflating terms. And I wouldn't make the claim that apples are objectively better than oranges. Even if the overwhelming majority of people preferred apples. Superior and Better are essentially interchangeable adjectives. When I say vanilla is better than chocolate I am not making a truth claim. Context, context, context. I'm saying I like vanilla more than chocolate. This isn't the case with moral truth claims and I think you know that. You are making a category error here and using fallacious reasoning to defend your line of thinking.

How do you measure behaviour?
How we measure can very well be subjective. For example, speed limits. Driving on the right side of the road as opposed to the left. But they all flow out of the reality that order is better than chaos. Law is better than anarchy. Not simply preferred, but that these are objectively superior.
Whether or not the US adopts the metric system or not doesn’t matter! Mankind agrees on the distance of an inch, a meter, a mile, a foot or a kilometer. The same cannot be said for morality.
I would say that mankind does agree on many things regarding morality. Show me a culture that thinks it is good to have others steal from you. Again you are confusing the ontological and epistemological questions. Agreement does not change reality. Even if humans never existed, reality would still be measurable.
Ken
I was only making the point that humans only matter to humans. That makes the claim "humans matter" subjective.
Then I challenge you to live that way, because you aren't. You are here arguing a point because you think it REALLY matters. You think that your opinion about reality is objectively true, even though you deny it. You claim to reject objective moral values and in the same breath tell us that moral values are subjective, all the time, in all places, regardless of opinion. That is an objective truth claim about morality. It is self-defeating and contradictory. So, your entire position is rooted in fallacy and contradiction. If it's all subjective then why even post here? What is the point? My opinion that OM exists and that there is a God and a heaven and hell has every bit as much subjective value as your own. On one hand, you are saying that no moral position is intrinsically better than any other. So why try to convince us that your moral position is the RIGHT one and ours is the wrong one? Either you really believe that moral values are subjective or you don't. If you really believed that, you wouldn't be here. You simply wouldn't care what others thought, since it is only a matter of preference and opinion.
Nobody in this conversation said truth claims cannot be objective
Now you are doing exactly what you denied doing earlier. How are you defining objective truth claim?

Now that is absurd! I said nothing of the sort. I am saying I am unable to prove/demonstrate to someone who does not share my moral values that torturing puppies is bad. Can you demonstrate to such a person why torturing puppies is bad?
It is absurd Ken. You just denied this because you are appalled and then in the same breath say that I can't demonstrate it to be the case. You just demonstrated it for me and then denied it. You are simply unwilling to follow your position to its logical conclusions. You are the one shooting holes in your position, not me.
This is insane. By your logic you should not try to convince a man who is about to commit mass murder to change his mind. "well, I can't demonstrate to someone who does not share my moral values that murder is wrong." Of course you can demonstrate it, and I seriously doubt you would do what I just stated if placed in that situation.
That’s what YOU say. Suppose they say torturing puppies for pleasure is objectively right regardless of your minority opinion? Now it’s your words against theirs! You’re in the same boat I would be in my friend!
Suppose they do say that? It's not my word against theirs. It is objectively wrong, which is exactly why I should speak out against the majority opinion. Just like abolitionists were RIGHT to speak out against Chattel slavery. Just like nations were to speak out and war against Nazi Germany. Their actions were wrong. Objectively wrong.
Of course the Bible predicts exactly what you are saying. It says, "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter! Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes And clever in their own sight!"
This is exactly what you are doing. It warns against your kind of thinking. I don't know why you are here. Perhaps you like to argue. Perhaps you are trying to prove something to yourself. Perhaps, something within you has drawn you to this forum. Well, I'd say this is the reason why. Because God is working. I'd listen.

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Jlay
Objective reality exists even if there are no living beings to understand it. This is an odd thing to conceptualize, but let's assume that tomorrow humans ceased to exist. Would the murders, genocide, and crime committed by people still be wrong? Yes.
I would say interpret instead of understand. I would say all people in all times and places recognize right and wrong and that there is a way things ought to be. I would also say that these interpretations can be perverted and distorted. That is consistent with the biblical concept of sin and that the human mind can twist and pervert the truth.

Ken
But if you cannot demonstrate that you are right, how can you call it a fact?

Jlay
Of course I could. It is wrong

Ken
Saying something is wrong is not a demonstration.

Jlay
Your inability to demonstrate them doesn't change whether they are.

Ken
Even if you are right; if you cannot demonstrate it, how can you call it a fact?

Jlay
You are arguing a point by attempting to use logic. Where does logic exist? Perhaps I live in a place where logic is rejected as well as morality. And since we disagree, I just choose to end your life with violence. Are you saying that this culture is no less credible, morally speaking? Are you really saying it's only a matter of opinion? Are you really saying, you could not recognize that this culture is wrong

Ken
No I am not saying any of that. I am saying they are wrong, but I recognize that I am unable to prove to them they are wrong using their standards/morality; I can only prove to them using mine which they will disagree with.
What you will wind up with is everybody claiming their morality is objecively true and everybody elses is wrong! Each person will have a different morality; which means it is really subjective even though they think it is objective.
Jlay
Easy. Your desire is not in line with what is objectively good and right. Are you trying to prove my point here? This desire is depraved.

Ken
I believe your exact words were
Take the golden rule for example. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Is this rule OM? No. But it is rooted in OM. It is true in all places and all times regardless of opinion.”
I gave you an example of places, times, and opinions when the Golden Rule is not true. You seem to agree with me.

Jlay
Even if humans never existed, reality would still be measurable.

Ken
Many thing in reality can be measured, but I don’t think morality is one of them. If you disagree please explain

Jlay
Then I challenge you to live that way, because you aren't. You are here arguing a point because you think it REALLY matters. You think that your opinion about reality is objectively true, even though you deny it. You claim to reject objective moral values and in the same breath tell us that moral values are subjective, all the time, in all places, regardless of opinion.

Ken
You seem to be under the impression that objective morality is superior to subjective morality; it isn’t. The only difference is subjective morality cannot be demonstrated. If morality could be demonstrated it would be called objective; but whatever the moral issue is, (hurting, helping, hating, loving, etc) the issue doesn’t change simply because of the category it is put under.

Jlay
Now you are doing exactly what you denied doing earlier. How are you defining objective truth claim?

Ken
An objective truth claim is a claim that is true and that can be demonstrated. If I made the claim that all 3 sides of an equilateral triangle are the same, that claim is true and it can be demonstrated Thus it is objective. If I made the claim that same sex relationship, and interracial relationships are immoral; that is a subjective claim because it can’t be demonstrated.

Jlay
It is absurd Ken. You just denied this because you are appalled and then in the same breath say that I can't demonstrate it to be the case. You just demonstrated it for me and then denied it. You are simply unwilling to follow your position to its logical conclusions. You are the one shooting holes in your position, not me.
This is insane. By your logic you should not try to convince a man who is about to commit mass murder to change his mind. "well, I can't demonstrate to someone who does not share my moral values that murder is wrong." Of course you can demonstrate it, and I seriously doubt you would do what I just stated if placed in that situation.

Ken
Just because you can’t demonstrate to a person in a way that they will agree that they are doing something wrong; doesn’t mean you shouldn’t stop them from doing wrong.
You will use your morals to say he is wrong, and he will use his morals to say that you are wrong; and nobody will agree because there is no set of rules that both of you agree on.

Jlay
Suppose they do say that? It's not my word against theirs. It is objectively wrong,

Ken
It will be your objective claim vs their objective claim which is the same as your word against theirs, because unless you can demonstrate it; you can’t prove they are wrong in a way that they will agree. Unfortunately when it comes to morality, everybody doesn't agree on the rules; if they did life would be much easier. If morality were objective; life would be much easier IMO

Ken
RickD wrote
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Good Subject this 'Objective Morality' ! Here is my take on it and some stuff I found on the net.

Morality

Morality does not exist in Heaven. It only exists on earth in the minds of human beings. It's a set of rules and regulations set out in an attempt to control our own behavior. There is no need to control one's behavior in heaven because 'improper' living does not exist there.

Morality also changes with the times in which we live.

Why is it important to live according to the moral of the times ?

"Living a moral life is a path that one must choose, it is not granted as are our blessings. When moral dilemmas come our way. If we fail to choose the moral high ground, then there are consequences that follow our indiscretions. We pay with tarnished reputations, damaged relationships and poor self esteem. With immoral behavior one has desecrated themselves when they could have been so much more."
(source: http://www.lifepaths360.com/index.php/w ... nt-2-8138/)

My point here would be that for someone to fully know objective morality, that person would have to know how a person exists and behaves in Heaven. Unfortunately, very few people know what this is like.

[edit] I would add that Spiritual Laws are crudely reflected in Moral Laws which in-turn, are crudely reflected in Civil Laws. But only crudely.

Objective morality (from wiki)

is the idea that a certain system of ethics or set of moral judgments is not just true according to a person's subjective opinion, but factually true. Proponents of this theory would argue that a statement like "Murder is wrong" can be as objectively true as "1 + 1 = 2." Most of the time, the alleged source is God, or the Kantian Categorical Imperative; arguably, no objective source of morality has ever been confirmed, nor have any a priori proofs been offered to the effect that morality is anything other than subjective. Kant ultimately fails, because he is perceptibly committed to Christian morality, which guides his arguments.
The moral principles that people claim to be "objective" usually coincide very well with what they feel subjectively to be true. When pressed to provide justification, the person in question will usually just fail to understand that morality might not be objective, and might consequently grow increasingly doubtful or hysterical as the subjective bases of their arguments are progressively revealed, as has been observed in recent times.

(source: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Objective_morality)

Morality Defined

Morality speaks of a system of behavior in regards to standards of right or wrong behavior. The word carries the concepts of: (1) moral standards, with regard to behavior; (2) moral responsibility, referring to our conscience; and (3) a moral identity, or one who is capable of right or wrong action. Common synonyms include ethics, principles, virtue, and goodness. Morality has become a complicated issue in the multi-cultural world we live in today. Let's explore what morality is, how it affects our behavior, our conscience, our society, and our ultimate destiny.

Morality and Our Behavior

Morality describes the principles that govern our behavior. Without these principles in place, societies cannot survive for long. In today's world, morality is frequently thought of as belonging to a particular religious point of view, but by definition, we see that this is not the case. Everyone adheres to a moral doctrine of some kind.

Morality as it relates to our behavior is important on three levels. Renowned thinker, scholar and author C.S. Lewis defines them as: (1) to ensure fair play and harmony between individuals; (2) to help make us good people in order to have a good society; and (3) to keep us in a good relationship with the power that created us. Based on this definition, it's clear that our beliefs are critical to our moral behavior.

On Point 1, Professor Lewis says most reasonable people agree. By Point 2, however, we begin to see problems occurring. Consider the popular philosophy "I'm not hurting anyone but myself," frequently used to excuse bad personal choices. How can we be the good people we need to be if we persist in making these choices, and how will that result not affect the rest of our society? Bad personal choices do hurt others. Point 3 is where most disagreement surfaces. While the majority of the world's population believes in God, or at least in a god, the question of Creation, as a theory of origins, is definitely hotly debated in today's society.

A recent report in Psychology Today concluded: "The most significant predictor of a person's moral behavior may be religious commitment. People who consider themselves very religious were least likely to report deceiving their friends, having extramarital affairs, cheating on their expenses accounts, or even parking illegally." Based on this finding, what we believe about Creation has a decided effect on our moral thinking and our behavior. Without belief in a Creator, the only option that seems to be left is to adhere to moral standards we make up for ourselves. Unless we live in a dictatorial society, we are free to choose our own personal moral code. But where does that freedom come from? The view of many who do not adhere to Creation is that morality is a creation of humanity, designed to meet the need of stable societies. All kinds of life are in a process of deciding between life and death, choosing what to do with power and/or authority. This ultimately leads to a system of virtues and values. The question is: what happens when our choices conflict with each other? What if something I believe I need in order for my life to continue results in death for you? If we do not have an absolute standard of truth, chaos and conflict will result as we are all left to our own devices and desires.

Morality and Our Conscience

Morality impacts our everyday decisions, and those choices are directed by our conscience. Again, we must decide for ourselves where the conscience originates. Many people hold to the idea that the conscience is a matter of our hearts, that concepts of right, wrong, and fairness are "programmed" in each of us. This is in keeping with the writings of Paul the Apostle, who points out that even those who do not believe in God frequently obey God's laws as given in the Ten Commandments: "for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them" (Romans 2:14-15, NKJV). Again, those who do not believe in God are left with the only possible conclusion they can come to - that our decisions are based solely on our need to survive. What we call our conscience, then, would be based on learned behavior, rather than part of a Divine design

(source: http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/morality.htm)
Last edited by LittleHamster on Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Ken,
I think a reply can often be better understood by what it fails to respond to than what what it does respond to. What you failed to respond to is telling. Unfortunately you've kind of backed yourself into a corner and now are forced to defend an untenable position. Better to face a minute of embarrassment and humility than to continue trying to defend this nonsense. I have a lot of respect for people who admit such, but little for people who stubbornly refuse to put aside foolishness.

Saying something is wrong is not a demonstration
I concur. Are you sincerely saying you cannot demonstrate that murder and rape are wrong?
If so, remind me to stay away from your neighborhood.
No I am not saying any of that. I am saying they are wrong, but I recognize that I am unable to prove to them they are wrong using their standards/morality; I can only prove to them using mine which they will disagree with.
What you will wind up with is everybody claiming their morality is objecively true and everybody elses is wrong! Each person will have a different morality; which means it is really subjective even though they think it is objective.
You argue and prove a point by using universal standards. You are saying they are WRONG. You know they are wrong. All you are saying is you can't prove it. In fact you are arguing for OM here. Well, first that is pretty weak if you can't argue why someone shouldn't steal, for example. As if they only thing you have to go on is your opinion. Imagine teaching a child like this. "Well son, I don't think you should steal. But it's just my opinion. No behavior is objectively right or wrong. But I'd prefer you not steal."
Good grief.
I believe your exact words were
Take the golden rule for example. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Is this rule OM? No. But it is rooted in OM. It is true in all places and all times regardless of opinion.”
I gave you an example of places, times, and opinions when the Golden Rule is not true. You seem to agree with me.
Ken, I've already stated that the GR is not itself OM. It is grounded in OM. What you are doing is taking an example of depraved behavior that is in violation of OM to try and prove that the GR doesn't hold. It's actually pretty sad that you can't see what you are doing. It's like saying, "I want you to tell me how much this weighs, in inches." :shakehead:
Many thing in reality can be measured, but I don’t think morality is one of them. If you disagree please explain
Ken, it can absolutely be demonstrated that morality can be measured. You measure it, we all measure it. In fact, you have measured it in this thread. What do you think someone is saying when they state that murder is WRONG? Do you really think they are saying they "prefer" non murder over murder? Or, are they saying it REALLY is wrong?
You seem to be under the impression that objective morality is superior to subjective morality; it isn’t. The only difference is subjective morality cannot be demonstrated. If morality could be demonstrated it would be called objective; but whatever the moral issue is, (hurting, helping, hating, loving, etc) the issue doesn’t change simply because of the category it is put under.
This makes absolutely no sense. People who deny OM should be beaten and burned until they agree that to be beaten and burned is not the same as to not be beaten and burned. (that's a joke btw)
An objective truth claim is a claim that is true and that can be demonstrated. If I made the claim that all 3 sides of an triangle are the same, that claim is true and it can be demonstrated Thus it is objective. If I made the claim that same sex relationship, and interracial relationships are immoral; that is a subjective claim because it can’t be demonstrated.
What kind of nonsense is it to lump same sex and interracial marriage?
Again you are not distinguishing physics and metaphysics. Just like in logic, I can demonstrate a fallacious argument. But there is nothing physical to measure it like you can with a triangle. Again, why should I even listen to you? On what grounds are you trying to say you are right, or that your position is better?
Just because you can’t demonstrate to a person in a way that they will agree that they are doing something wrong; doesn’t mean you shouldn’t stop them from doing wrong.
You will use your morals to say he is wrong, and he will use his morals to say that you are wrong; and nobody will agree because there is no set of rules that both of you agree on.
First, you have again blurred ontology and epistemology. Rules are NOT OM. I've never claimed that.
-Shouldn't? According to what? Ken, like most people who argue your side, you just smuggled in OM. What do mean by wrong? Wrong according to......? You are using these terms (should, shouldn't, right, wrong) as if they actually correspond to a standard. Please stop doing this. You can't use these terms in this way and then claim OM does not exist.

BTW, I totally agree. Just because someone doens't AGREE doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T try to stop them. What you've done, without realizing it, is say that we KNOW they SHOULDN'T act that way, and therefore we OUGHT to convince them to do otherwise. Even if they don't agree. Why? Because you believe that objective moral values EXIST. In this case you are saying that should adopt a different ethic. Why? Because it is superior. That is measuring and doing so based on a standard that transcends human opinion.
You just made a case for OM. Nicely done!!

It will be your objective claim vs their objective claim which is the same as your word against theirs, because unless you can demonstrate it; you can’t prove they are wrong in a way that they will agree. Unfortunately when it comes to morality, everybody doesn't agree on the rules; if they did life would be much easier. If morality were objective; life would be much easier IMO
Again, this makes me question whether you really understand the term objective. And yes, you can prove to people that they are wrong. I see it all the time. As a parent I have had my child do bad things and not feel bad about them. But by teaching them and showing them the truth they come to understand and even regret what they've done. I've seen this with addicts, criminals, etc. And all first hand. So, please don't tell me that we can't convince someone that their particular ethic or lack thereof is wrong. and objectively so.
You stated earlier that you can prove that 2+2=4. Agree. Now, imagine if you had someone who insisted that 2+2=5. You repeatedly work thru the equation demonstrating that your position is the objective truth, but they refuse to listen.
Would that be frustrating? Now you know how we feel in discussing objective moral values with you.

So, let me make this clear. I am not saying people will always agree on the rules. Rules are not OM. But, all sane, mentally balanced people will agree that there are ways humans ought to behave and certain behaviors that are right and wrong, good and evil. And that order is BETTER than chaos and that law is better than anarchy. Your position is internally inconsistent. You use words such as right and wrong, should and ought, as if they correspond to an objective meaning. And then you deny OM. You say we ought to convince those who are doing wrong (according to what, i don't know) that they OUGHT to not do what they are doing. And then you say it's just opinion. You say we can't prove this, when in fact we do this all the time in all facets of life. You have demonstrated a stubbornness and unwillingness to acknowledge the inconsistencies with your own position and how you are using the terminology.

Why are you here? y:-?

Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

jlay wrote:You [Kenny] have demonstrated a stubbornness and unwillingness to acknowledge the inconsistencies with your own position and how you are using the terminology.
At last! At long last! someone else has understood that Kenny and Confusion conjugate perfectly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YowwoE-ok4

Know what you're getting into when you discuss with Kenny.

FL :clap:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

LittleHamster wrote:Good Subject this 'Objective Morality' ! Here is my take on it and some stuff I found on the net.

Morality

Morality does not exist in Heaven. It only exists on earth in the minds of human beings. It's a set of rules and regulations set out in an attempt to control our own behavior. There is no need to control one's behavior in heaven because 'improper' living does not exist there.

Morality also changes with the times in which we live.

Why is it important to live according to the moral of the times ?

"Living a moral life is a path that one must choose, it is not granted as are our blessings. When moral dilemmas come our way. If we fail to choose the moral high ground, then there are consequences that follow our indiscretions. We pay with tarnished reputations, damaged relationships and poor self esteem. With immoral behavior one has desecrated themselves when they could have been so much more."
(source: http://www.lifepaths360.com/index.php/w ... nt-2-8138/)

My point here would be that for someone to fully know objective morality, that person would have to know how a person exists and behaves in Heaven. Unfortunately, very few people know what this is like.

[edit] I would add that Spiritual Laws are crudely reflected in Moral Laws which in-turn, are crudely reflected in Civil Laws. But only crudely.

Objective morality (from wiki)

is the idea that a certain system of ethics or set of moral judgments is not just true according to a person's subjective opinion, but factually true. Proponents of this theory would argue that a statement like "Murder is wrong" can be as objectively true as "1 + 1 = 2." Most of the time, the alleged source is God, or the Kantian Categorical Imperative; arguably, no objective source of morality has ever been confirmed, nor have any a priori proofs been offered to the effect that morality is anything other than subjective. Kant ultimately fails, because he is perceptibly committed to Christian morality, which guides his arguments.
The moral principles that people claim to be "objective" usually coincide very well with what they feel subjectively to be true. When pressed to provide justification, the person in question will usually just fail to understand that morality might not be objective, and might consequently grow increasingly doubtful or hysterical as the subjective bases of their arguments are progressively revealed, as has been observed in recent times.

(source: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Objective_morality)
Wow! Sounds like somebody on this site actually agrees with me! Maybe I should go out and buy a lottery ticket or something.
(Bold done by Kenny)

Ken
RickD wrote