Is everyone a Christian by default ?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Is everyone a Christian by default ?

Post by PaulSacramento »

LittleHamster wrote:Ok. My theory is that everyone is a Christian however, not everyone is a saved Christian.

and I don't know why.

But thanks for all the info. I will keep investigating........
Only someone that proclaims Christ is a Christian.
We all have the potential to be Christian from the moment we are born ( no one is born with NO CHANCE of salvation) it is simply up to us to accept God's "invite".
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Last edited by LittleHamster on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Has Liked: 1111 times
Been Liked: 1111 times
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

LittleHamster wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:Ok. My theory is that everyone is a Christian however, not everyone is a saved Christian.

and I don't know why.

We all have the potential to be Christian from the moment we are born ( no one is born with NO CHANCE of salvation) it is simply up to us to accept God's "invite".
Ok, sounds correct Paul but let me argue for the sake of conversation.....

We could rewrite what you said as "Only someone that proclaims Christ is a saved Christian."

There are a lot of people that claim to be Christian, go to church etc.. but haven't really proclaimed anything.

I believe we are all born through Christ and that makes us Christians at birth.

So this means there are:-

Christians living in total ignorance (Atheists)
Christians who have an inkling about God but get sidetracked into other religions
Christians who are born into Christian families and only follow Christianity on a superficial level.
Christians who proclaim Christ and keep the Faith

People just need to come to their senses and realize "They are a Christian !" Hallelujah ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by LittleHamster on Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

I was not Christian before.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I was not born a Christian. I was born a sinner. Thankfully, through the power of the Holy Spirit working in my Mom, God opened my eyes.

By the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, I am now a Christian.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

RickD wrote:I was not born a Christian. I was born a sinner. Thankfully, through the power of the Holy Spirit working in my Mom, God opened my eyes.

By the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, I am now a Christian.
So am I -

It is by God's grace that we become and remain Christians...

What I think LittleHmaster is referring to, is how can we tell a Christian from those in the world. Sadly, in today's modern twist on the gospel, sanctification is treated as a dirty word, yet, God still changes believers despite this. WE are chastened and corrected and grow. So how can one tell? By the discipline and growth we go through as that is part of our testimony. Another, is not denying Christ midst what we go through or what is tossed at us. Indeed, as the bible mentions, we are truly a peculiar people being changed daily by God's grace as there is no other way sanctification can work. There is no easy one size fits all answer other than a Christian knows Christ and is known by him. My prayer, is that others get on board the Jesus Train and live a life of change out of darkness into His Marvelous light.

Next, I never want to go back to the worlds ways and live in darkness of atheism, motivated to live all drunk, addicted to poplar opinions to feel accepted by the world... That stuff is death.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

LittleHamster wrote:
LittleHamster wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

and I don't know why.

Ok, sounds correct Paul but let me argue for the sake of conversation.....

We could rewrite what you said as "Only someone that proclaims Christ is a saved Christian."

There are a lot of people that claim to be Christian, go to church etc.. but haven't really proclaimed anything.

I believe we are all born through Christ and that makes us Christians at birth.

So this means there are:-

Christians living in total ignorance (Atheists)
Christians who have an inkling about God but get sidetracked into other religions
Christians who are born into Christian families and only follow Christianity on a superficial level.
Christians who proclaim Christ and keep the Faith

People just need to come to their senses and realize "They are a Christian !" Hallelujah ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Until Christ came there was NO Christians so we can;t say that of people in the past before He came.
We are not born through Christ, we are products of natural birth and are given a spirit at time of conception ( some may argue at time of birth but that is not relevant for this discussion).
No one is a Christian until they receive the HS.
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

Thankyou again for your replies. You guys are certainly correct ! I'm going to give you all a blessing and a splash of holy water !!!!

But I'm not letting you off the argumentative-hook so easily. Lets keep going...

Is everyone a Christian ?

From earth’s point of view, no. From heaven’s point of view, yes.
From humanity’s point of view, no. From God’s point of view, yes.
From religion’s point of view, no. From Christ’s point of view, yes.

Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world. Through Him, God adopted the entire human race to Himself (Everyone Is Going to Heaven). Therefore, when Christ looks down upon the earth, all He sees are people who belong to Him.

Are some children of God more obedient than others? Yes, but while the degree of our obedience may vary He does not cease to be our Father. Besides, who are you and I to judge our brother? Instead we ourselves should repent! Regardless of how obedient or disobedient we were yesterday, don’t we want to be more obedient children today?

Moreover, we cannot conclude that those who call themselves Christians are more obedient to Christ than those who do not confess Him. Sure, it’s is a good thing to confess Christ. But if we do not obey His commands, then we give others an excuse to disregard His commandments. Churchgoing is an entirely inadequate and inappropriate substitute for obedience to Christ.

Everyone belongs to Christ whether they call themselves a Christian or not. Don’t seek to be known as a Christian. Seek to obey Christ.

(source: http://www.blogforthelordjesus.com/2011 ... christian/)
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

ok, Now I'm going to argue that Not everyone is a Christian (just to save myself and yourselves some typing - I found some stuff on the net)

Is everyone a Christian ?

No - The reason being, God's word clearly states in many scriptures, that Jesus Christ and God the Father, only abides in those who believe in Him by a sincere Faith, and obeys His teachings and commandments.

First of all, part of the esssential doctrines of Jesus Christ is to beware of false teachers, and false christs and not to follow false gods, and idols, so we know that anyone who does believe in such, or other religions or witchcraft, etc... does not have Jesus Christ nor God the Father within them.

Only the believers of Jesus Christ, who purpose to continue to repent from sin, through Jesus Christ, abides His in Grace, has both God the Father and Jesus Christ in them.

Only the believers of Jesus Christ, who continues in God's Word, and obeys the teachings and commandments of Jesus Christ, by faith, receives the Holy Spirit of God, obtains His Mercy when they sin, Loves and forgives one another in the way Jesus Christ taught, and bears good spiritual fruit, only these have both God the Father and Jesus Christ in them.

1 JOHN 2:23 Whoever denies the Son, does not have the Father ( God ) either.

ROMANS 8:9,10 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.
But if Christ is in you, then even though your body is subject to death because of sin, the Spirit gives life because of righteousness.

MATTHEW 7:13-27; “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
15 “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

JOHN 3:3 In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again."

1 JOHN 4:12-16 No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. 13 By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. 14 And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world. 15 Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. 16 And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.

1 JOHN 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest; Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

JOHN 14:23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teachings. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

1 JOHN 5:12 He who has the Son has life; He who does not have the Son of God does not have life.

JOHN 11:10 But if one walks in the night he stumbles, because the Light is not in him.

1 JOHN 2:15 Do not love the world, or the things in the world, if anyone loves the world, the Love of the Father is not in him.

2 JOHN 1:9 Whoever trangresses...Whoever does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God.

1 JOHN 1:10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar and His Word is not in us.

1 JOHN 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the Truth is not in us.

JOHN 15:1-17; “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

9 “As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 17 This is my command: Love each other.

(source: http://disciplechristian.com/is-christ-in-everyone.html)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

LittleHamster,

How are you defining "Christian"? The site you linked seems to be equating Christian and disciple.

If you define Christian for the sake of this discussion, it may help avoid confusion.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
LittleHamster
Valued Member

Post by LittleHamster »

I was thinking about "what is a Christian" just last night. Wikipedia doesn't give a definitive answer.

Jesus embodied the Word of God and, to varying degrees, so does all of humanity. That could make us all Christians.

Jesus said "I am" not "I was" or "I will be" or "I now am" which implies Christ existed before he appeared on earth and also that he exists now. So this could imply that Humanity were all Christians before Jesus appeared on earth too.

If a Christian is defined as someone who "follows Jesus Christ" then this, I reckon, too simplistic since you can follow Christ to varying degrees.

If a Christian is defined as someone who gets the holy spirit then there are not too many of those people around and implies that many of the 1-2 billion church goers are not Christian.

Let me sing out aloud.......

SO, SO, SO YOU CHRISTIANITES, TELL ME, TELL ME, TELL ME.........WHAT IS A CHRISTIAN ?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

LittleHamster wrote:I was thinking about "what is a Christian" just last night. Wikipedia doesn't give a definitive answer.

Jesus embodied the Word of God and, to varying degrees, so does all of humanity. That could make us all Christians.

Jesus said "I am" not "I was" or "I will be" or "I now am" which implies Christ existed before he appeared on earth and also that he exists now. So this could imply that Humanity were all Christians before Jesus appeared on earth too.

If a Christian is defined as someone who "follows Jesus Christ" then this, I reckon, too simplistic since you can follow Christ to varying degrees.

If a Christian is defined as someone who gets the holy spirit then there are not too many of those people around and implies that many of the 1-2 billion church goers are not Christian.

Let me sing out aloud.......

SO, SO, SO YOU CHRISTIANITES, TELL ME, TELL ME, TELL ME.........WHAT IS A CHRISTIAN ?
On the Forum Info - you posted yourself as a Christian so what is your answer?

If you want a really simplistic answer would be - knows Jesus and known by him and is transformed out of darkness daily by Him, and learns to live by that change, Romans 8:29.

So what you have are many folks like yourself going through various degrees and life lessons as they are transformed all the while learning to know him better daily. In this, makes it often difficult to spot a Christian but given time, hypocrites are made well known and the true followers of Christ shine...

For the rest, you'll have to live it...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys