Young Earth Creationism believer is my teacher in Church

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
militarynewb
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Young Earth Creationism believer is my teacher in Church

Post by militarynewb »

The person who teaches at the new believers class in my church is a young earth creationism believer. I told him that I believed in a old earth creationism and he said that if I believed that, it is to not believe the Bible. I don't want this to effect my foundation in the belief of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, however it has rocked my foundation and I don't know what to do. I really like this Church. And i feel myself falling into a deep hole. I even gave him this Website, and he gave me several websites to defend his beliefs and what he is teaching in class. What should i do? :(
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Young Earth Creationism believer is my teacher in Church

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

militarynewb wrote:What should i do?
There is nothing wrong with YEC as such but saying that ''To believe OEC is to not believe the Bible'' is just stupid. As a YEC myself, I have to say that YEC does attract what appears to be more than its fair share of self-righteous fruitcakes. Hopefully, your Bible teacher is just inexperienced.

So what should you do? Do as the Bereans did, Acts 17:11.

I would only become concerned if the teacher says that you must 1) donate 10% of your pre-tax income, or 2) be slain in the Spirit (that is, fall down & twitch), or 3) that America & the English speaking nations are the Ten Lost Tribes. or 4) that the Church is the ''New Israel''. These are some major signposts of Froot Loopian Theology.

What denomination is your church?

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
militarynewb
Familiar Member

Post by militarynewb »

It is a Christian Church
militarynewb
Familiar Member

Post by militarynewb »

It is a Christian Church and he is experienced. But this website itself shows evidence for an old world creationism
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

militarynewb wrote:It is a Christian Church
''Christian'' isn't a denomination, it is a faith. Roman Catholic, Baptist, Presbyterian are some examples of religious denominations within the Christian faith.
militarynewb wrote:...and he is experienced
OK...then beware. Do as the Bereans did.
militarynewb wrote:But this website itself shows evidence for an old world creationism
So? This website has yet to make it into the canon.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
militarynewb
Familiar Member

Post by militarynewb »

ok its protestant then? teaches only from the Bible
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

militarynewb wrote:ok its protestant then? teaches only from the Bible
No...that won't do, sorry. Think of Christianity as General Motors. Within General Motors there are brands such as Chevrolet, GMC Trucks, Buick, and Cadillac*. Take Cadillac now: that brand makes these models: the ATS, the CTS, the STS and the SRX. I'm looking for the ''model name'' of your religion. In other words, if Protestantism is Cadillac, which ''model'' church do you attend?

You should ask someone there.

FL y:-?

*In North America. Apologies to Vauxhall, Opel & Holden.

+ + +

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

militarynewb wrote:The person who teaches at the new believers class in my church is a young earth creationism believer. I told him that I believed in a old earth creationism and he said that if I believed that, it is to not believe the Bible. I don't want this to effect my foundation in the belief of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, however it has rocked my foundation and I don't know what to do. I really like this Church. And i feel myself falling into a deep hole. I even gave him this Website, and he gave me several websites to defend his beliefs and what he is teaching in class. What should i do? :(
Learn as much as you can, and respectfully challenge him. Or, take the easy way out and find a new church. Or, take the easiest way out, and just believe everything he says. That way you won't cause any confrontations. :shakehead:

I know if it were me, I'd make it my goal to learn as much as I could, so I would be prepared to have a conversation with him. But most importantly, find out from him where the bible says one must believe in YEC in order to believe the bible. If you want, send him here, we can have a talk with him.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

No, do not challenge him.
this will only lead to fighting. He is convinced he is right and that his interpretation is orthodox. This may be the view of the church as a whole and it may not be.

If you don't even know what affiliation (or lack thereof) the congregation holds, then you have no business challenging what they teach. I'm going to get on my soap box for a minute. The sad thing is that most people spend absolutely no time determining where they should worship. If they like the music then they'll likely sit under the teaching. This is foolishness. If they have a website, they will have a link to "what we believe" or a statement of faith. That is a good place to start. But I wouldn't attend any class at a church like this without first meeting with someone on the pastoral staff and asking several questions. In fact, if they have a website, link it here.

Here is the question. It's a new believer's class. If he is teaching the class, then he should be able to do so without ever talking about YEC or OEC.
I have taught classes where this has come up and I've been able to do so without offending. I was teaching a class recently that included theistic evolutionists and YEC and we had no problems. But then, I'm familiar with the spectrum, from Hugh Ross to Ken Ham.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I simply don't see anything but trouble in a pastor addressing this issue EXCEPT from the standpoint of giving an overview of the range of Scripturally allowable possibilities and various viewpoints by Christians and theologians that believe in Scripture as being God breathed. Asserting ANY view of the time issue to be a doctrinal certainty is a just incorrect and unproven. And the science-related views are all over the map, as they are ALL the opinions and conjecture of men.

However, I do see asserting the Genesis accounts to be factual history and that its people and described events are accurate (and not allegory) IS important. But the scientific HOW its creative events played out are uncertain, as the Bible is not a science book. The focus should always be that GOD did it and that only by our ALL-powerful Creator's hands is anything in physical existence even possible. I think most Scripture-believing Christians can agree with these.
militarynewb
Familiar Member

Post by militarynewb »

yea, thats true, thanks phil!
outlaw
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by outlaw »

Um this might sound crazy but if you want to know about the age of the earth the bible probably isn't the best place to look. If it can't tell you when Jesus was born or died and if it tells you men have one less rib than women then I wouldn't be relying on it knowing the age of the earth. You might learn the earth is flat though.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

outlaw wrote:Um this might sound crazy but if you want to know about the age of the earth the bible probably isn't the best place to look. If it can't tell you when Jesus was born or died and if it tells you men have one less rib than women then I wouldn't be relying on it knowing the age of the earth. You might learn the earth is flat though.
The crap just doesn't stop flowing with you does it?

Now the bible says men have one less rib than women?

Outlaw,

You are a trip!
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
outlaw
Established Member

Post by outlaw »

RickD wrote:
outlaw wrote:Um this might sound crazy but if you want to know about the age of the earth the bible probably isn't the best place to look. If it can't tell you when Jesus was born or died and if it tells you men have one less rib than women then I wouldn't be relying on it knowing the age of the earth. You might learn the earth is flat though.
The crap just doesn't stop flowing with you does it?

Now the bible says men have one less rib than women?

Outlaw,

You are a trip!
Hahaa yeah eve was made from it.
Seriously though good luck with finding an answer in the bible.
outlaw
Established Member

Post by outlaw »

video deleted by moderator. Off topic.