Death of Christianity

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Questfortruth
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Death of Christianity

Post by Questfortruth »

Does anybody here see Christianity dying out within the next 100 years. I'd say no. Assuming the tribulation doesn't happen within this century, I believe Christianity will still be the dominant worldview. Christians are vastly rising in Africa and China, and the U.S.A still remains over 75% Christian. I don't think Christianity is dying as a whole, but cultural Christianity is. People are now more open to share what they truly believe instead of just checking "Christian" on a survey form. It has survived for 2000 years, and it will survive until the tribulation. Think about it. There is more to being Christian than just identifying yourself as one. If I said I was a fish, am I a fish? No. The same applies here. God is with us , and if he is with us, than who could be against us?
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: Death of Christianity

Post by neo-x »

ah...pretty much everyone else is against us lol.

To be honest organization Christianity may die but would the personal faith of billions die away, I don't think so.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

If by ''death of Christianity'' you mean ''cease to exist'', then, no, I don't think genuine Christians will cease to exist. And people will still be coming to Christ during the Tribulation.

Perhaps we can make a parallel with Latin: the language is no longer with us, no longer a lingua franca, no longer influential, but there are plenty of individuals here & there around the world
who know Latin.

FL y~o)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

I don't think the death of "corporate Christianity", that is when groups use Christianity ( or any other religion) for their own purpose, is a bad thing.
Christianity is an individual religion, it is based on one-on-one relation between the believer and Christ with NO ONE inbetween and the sooner people understand that, the better.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

There is a part of Christendom that need die.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Lonewolf »

jlay wrote:There is a part of Christendom that need die.

Which part would that be, jlay?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Lonewolf wrote:
jlay wrote:There is a part of Christendom that need die.

Which part would that be, jlay?
That part that fosters hate and intolerance, the corporate part that dares to set itself up as mediator between Man and Christ.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Could Christianity have become -for lack of a better term- the dominant "religion" in the west, and through it through out the world if it hadn't been to an extent because of such religionist practices?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Lonewolf wrote:Could Christianity have become -for lack of a better term- the dominant "religion" in the west, and through it through out the world if it hadn't been to an extent because of such religionist practices?
You mean could Christianity have continued without the corporate church?
Yes, of course.
Don't forget that Christianity has SURVIVED the corporate church, the entity that gave us the inquisition, the index, the non-needed crusades ( I say non-needed because it can be argued that at least the first two WERE needed) and so forth.
So, I submit that Christianity has survived in SPITE of the many issues, not because of them.
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Today, this day and age as in the first century, Christianity is faced with may enemies, both here at home and abroad. Everything from secularism and atheism getting stronger in America and the West, to Revolutionary Islamic forces and movements through out the Muslim world and Europe. Not to mention the falling away occurring in the so-called Christian masses. So, would you rather operate in a world where corporate Christianity is no more, or do you prefer for there to continue to exist some form of Church allied with the State?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Lonewolf wrote:Today, this day and age as in the first century, Christianity is faced with may enemies, both here at home and abroad. Everything from secularism and atheism getting stronger in America and the West, to Revolutionary Islamic forces and movements through out the Muslim world and Europe. Not to mention the falling away occurring in the so-called Christian masses. So, would you rather operate in a world where corporate Christianity is no more, or do you prefer for there to continue to exist some form of Church allied with the State?
Christianity is a religion of PERSONAL relationship with God.
It is a religion that is base don choice and the choice is to have a personal relationship with God or not.
The church of Christ is the body of Christ and that body/church is EVERY believer, EVERYWHERE.
It is NOT a place or corporate entity.
People may "fall away" for the organised religion that is corporate Christianity ( Christianity run by those that set themselves up between man and God) but unless they deny and reject Christ they have not fallen away from Christianity.
Christianity is not so weak as to depend on anything other than Christ and the HS to "make sure" it survives.
The issue with corporate religion is NOT doctrine or anything like that, it is when IT views ITSELF as more than ANY believer.
It isn't.