Yoga

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Yoga

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Is it wrong doing yoga do to many people saying it's origins are Pagan? I have stopped doing yoga and mediating that which is normally associated methods of yoga . I normally have been calm but want to do it again
SeekingSanctuary
Established Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Yoga

Post by SeekingSanctuary »

Barbeque was invented by pagans... So was Easter, incidentally.

First, yoga, not as old as people say. When it was invented a bunch of people claimed it was way older to give it false legitimacy. Westerners seem to love really old eastern crap for some reason. In reality, while the poses did exist they did them quickly, not staying in them as they do in yoga.

Secondly, just because something was invented by 'pagans' doesn't mean its wrong. Make-up and pregnancy tests were both invented by pagans. Doesn't make them evil. Doesn't even make them pagan. There is nothing inherently religious about stretching a lot unless you make it that way.

Third, meditation has been proven to be completely natural. That means it wasn't invented by pagans it was invented by God. Both have proven health benefits, I doubt God would make something that could improve your life a sin.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Meditate on this:

http://hafsite.org/media/pr/yoga-hindu-origins

You're right to be concerned. I'd suggest you just do stretches without the yoga.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The meditative principles of yoga, RELIGION wise, are NOT compatible with Christianity.
The physical and relaxation aspect is and is good for you.
Of course most asian methods of physical activity do have SOME eastern spirituality attached to them BUT you can do them without those aspects.
This is coming from a guy with close to 40 years of eastern martial arts training in Japanese, Okinawan, Korean and Chinese martial arts and meditative practices.

And by the way, Easter was NOT invented by pagans.
Do not confuse the Paschal celebration (Passover) with what happened AFTER when it was introduced and "mixed" in with local pagan customs over the centuries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

pauls wrote:
This is coming from a guy with close to 40 years of eastern martial arts training in Japanese, Okinawan, Korean and Chinese martial arts and meditative practices.
Now I finally understand!!! Your posts reflect the fact that you've had one too many blows to the noggin. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
pauls wrote:
Now I finally understand!!! Your posts reflect the fact that you've had one too many blows to the noggin. :pound:
Hey, I resemble that remark !!
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Sex: Female

Post by UsagiTsukino »

So I shouldn't also martial arts? Also my mediating I mean I would sit down cross legged and breath in and out. Easter was not pagan in fact the things were associated with Easter aren't even the goddess people think Easter is based on. Her symbol was lioness