The Scots rejected independence

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The Scots rejected independence

Post by Lonewolf »

What precedent would they have set if they had voted for independence?

Quebec breaking off from Canada?

Catalonia breaking off from Spain?

Utah breaking off the U.S.?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Scots rejected independence

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Lonewolf wrote:What precedent would they have set if they had voted for independence?
No precedent at all. Norway separated from Sweden in 1905. Sweden (which included Principality of Norway) separated from Denmark in 1814. More recently, Dr. Lover137's country separated into th Czech Republic and Slovakia in the early 1990s. Yougoslavia became a collection of 6 stunted states following its autodestruction after the fall of Communism.

There is also a secessionist movement in Vermont...but I don't think it will go anywhere.

FL :fyi:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:What precedent would they have set if they had voted for independence?
No precedent at all. Norway separated from Sweden in 1905. Sweden (which included Principality of Norway) separated from Denmark in 1814. More recently, Dr. Lover137's country separated into th Czech Republic and Slovakia in the early 1990s. Yougoslavia became a collection of 6 stunted states following its autodestruction after the fall of Communism.

There is also a secessionist movement in Vermont...but I don't think it will go anywhere.

FL :fyi:
Well the Czech Republic and Slovakia (formerly Czechoslovakia) was a post world war one creation, one of convenience, but it was not a union that really had neither a kinship history, nor historical Nobel kingship problems. The Germans exploited that with the Sudetenland, and subsequently the Soviets. Thus it was no wonder that once those two forces where out of the picture, that Czechs and Slovaks split. It was by no means a union like the U.K.

The same speaks of the Slavs in Yugoslavia under either the Austro-Hungarians, or Tito. Once both of those where out of the picture, they went at it hard against each other. Again, no comparison with how they all broke from each other, as to a democratic vote in Scotland.

The Northmen (Nordics) are a whole diff argument altogether., Viking fiefdom leftover thoughts are what come to mind regarding their differences.

I think Northern Ireland was playing special attention to Scotland's vote, and so where the Catalonians., and how would you argue against the Basque? Or the Corsicans? On and on?
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Lonewolf wrote:I think Northern Ireland was playing special attention to Scotland's vote, and so where the Catalonians., and how would you argue against the Basque? Or the Corsicans? On and on?
Well, you are right. I'm glad the referendum in Scotland ended the way it did. A YES vote would have ignited the passions of other linguisticly distinct nations like Catalonia, the Pays Basque, Québec, and Corsica, to name these four only.

In the past two referendums on Québec independence, I voted No while my wife voted Yes. My heart said Yes but my head said No. I'm sure that many in Scotland had the same dilema. Divorce is never good: you always end up poorer in so many ways.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:I think Northern Ireland was playing special attention to Scotland's vote, and so where the Catalonians., and how would you argue against the Basque? Or the Corsicans? On and on?
Well, you are right. I'm glad the referendum in Scotland ended the way it did. A YES vote would have ignited the passions of other linguisticly distinct nations like Catalonia, the Pays Basque, Québec, and Corsica, to name these four only.

In the past two referendums on Québec independence, I voted No while my wife voted Yes. My heart said Yes but my head said No. I'm sure that many in Scotland had the same dilema. Divorce is never good: you always end up poorer in so many ways.

FL :D
and so does your pension plan

how does that joke goes? it is cheaper to keep them :D