The importance of church

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Seeker
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

The importance of church

Post by Seeker »

What place does church hold importance to in the christian religion? Is it a requirement to reach heaven?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The importance of church

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Seeker wrote:What place does church hold importance to in the christian religion?
In the Christian religion, church is important. To General Motors, General Motors is important...but to the individual car owner, not so much.
Seeker wrote:Is it a requirement to reach heaven?
No.

FL :D
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Seeker wrote:What place does church hold importance to in the christian religion? Is it a requirement to reach heaven?
Only 'requirement' is belief in Jesus Christ.

John 3:16 ESV / 36 helpful votes
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 14:6 ESV / 34 helpful votes
Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

John 6:47 ESV / 29 helpful votes
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.

John 5:24 ESV / 23 helpful votes
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

Etc. from http://www.openbible.info/topics/believing_in_christ
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

I skipped school today y:-$
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Lonewolf wrote:I skipped school today y:-$
Yeah, I only answered second quiestion.

Church is important.

For the lack of time
http://christianity.about.com/od/whatdo ... endanc.htm
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Seeker wrote:What place does church hold importance to in the christian religion? Is it a requirement to reach heaven?
Church is a place for believers to congregate and to strengthen their faith and to welcome those that are searching for God, to welcome new believers, to welcome and help those with sincere questions, a place for people in a community to get together and help others, organize events to help the community, etc, etc...

The church is a GOOD thing for believers and the community, as long as it does NOT take the place of a personal relationship with Christ.
Tomas99
Acquainted Member
Creation Position: Framework

Post by Tomas99 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Church is a place for believers to congregate and to strengthen their faith and to welcome those that are searching for God, to welcome new believers, to welcome and help those with sincere questions, a place for people in a community to get together and help others, organize events to help the community, etc, etc...

The church is a GOOD thing for believers and the community, as long as it does NOT take the place of a personal relationship with Christ.
A Catholic friend at school said the Pope cannot possibly make a false teaching. I doubt all Catholics believe this (or even most) share this view, but it can show how some people will blindly follow whatever authority, religious figure, government etc.

I personally don't see the point in getting too attached to any group or authority, because they can let you down, but the Bible cant. I believe all the Bible is truth, and any Religious authority pales in comparison to its relevance, but i don't think ignoring them is any good either.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

I believe all the Bible is truth, and any Religious authority pales in comparison to its relevance ...
Uh,the CC begs to differ: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/papal-infallibility

A heresy of heresies!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Philip wrote:
I believe all the Bible is truth, and any Religious authority pales in comparison to its relevance ...

A heresy of heresies!

The issue is quite simply that the RCC affirms that WHEN the Pope states an official doctrine of the church, that he is infallible.
EX:
When the pope states that Christ is the only way to salvation, he is 100% right and infallible NOT because He is the Pope per say, but because as head of the Church and his view MUST be the same as the Church and the churches view the same as his.

I think the doctrine of Papal infallibility is, well, a pointless comment on his authority because it IMPLIES one thing ( that the Pope is infallible) BUT means ANOTHER ( that the Pope, when stating official Church doctrine, is infallible).
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Philip wrote:

A heresy of heresies!

The issue is quite simply that the RCC affirms that WHEN the Pope states an official doctrine of the church, that he is infallible.
EX:
When the pope states that Christ is the only way to salvation, he is 100% right and infallible NOT because He is the Pope per say, but because as head of the Church and his view MUST be the same as the Church and the churches view the same as his.

I think the doctrine of Papal infallibility is, well, a pointless comment on his authority because it IMPLIES one thing ( that the Pope is infallible) BUT means ANOTHER ( that the Pope, when stating official Church doctrine, is infallible).
I have no idea what that means.

Papal infallibility is without a doubt one of the most misunderstood doctrines of the Catholic Church. First, not everything the pope says is infallible, that's just stupid. Second, infallibility is not by the power of the pope or the magisterium, it rests solely in the Holy Spirit and Christ's pronouncement that the church is the bulwark of truth and his promise that the gates of hell will not prevail against it.

In summary, the pope speaks infallibly only when he is speaking ex cathedra, only in matters of faith and morals, and only by the power of the Holy Spirit who promised the church such capability to begin with.

Post edit: Make no mistake about it, every single one of us believes in someone's infallibility. In my case it is in the pope and the magisterium. In yours (in general) it is in the self. So one may want to rethink the heresy charge a little more.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I have no idea what that means.
LOL !
You just said what I said, but in a different way.

I said that the Pope is ONLY infallible when stating correct Christian doctrine.
The doctrine does NOT mean that ALL that pope says and does is infallible.

You basically said the same thing.