What are the requirements for being a pastor?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
karenchoffman
Newbie Member
Christian: No

What are the requirements for being a pastor?

Post by karenchoffman »

A former worship leader left our church to start his own church, but he is not an ordained paster. It's my understanding that he was told that his is unscriptural, but I'm not sure what scriptures they used to support this. I'm not saying I believe it's okay for anyone to be a pastor, but I want to search the scripture to see if what they are saying is true (Acts 17:11) and to test everything and hold on to the good (1 Thess 5:21). Is it unscriptural for a person who is not ordained to shepherd a (Protestant) church?

God Bless,
Karen <><
ray
Recognized Member

Post by ray »

Different denominations have different requirements for the ordination of clergy. Many even require an intern period where they will only be ordained after a certain amount of time in the denomination. There are also legal requirements if they wish to preside over a wedding and make it official and legal in that country. Legally I think anyone can start a church and call themselves a pastor but that doesn't mean it's correct by by the Bible. Scripturally I don't think there are really any requirements. I would however be very wary of any church that is totally independent and whose pastor had no Scriptural training.

Ray
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I'd be warey considering the person in question from what you've told does not appear patient enough to at least receive some theological education. The decision to obtain their own church seems rather hasty, and so it sounds they simply want their own reigns at the center of the pulpit, and they want it now! Really, couldn't a job as important as shepherding other Christians be delayed at least until some education have been obtained?

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)