Which is the best Bible translation..

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Lonewolf
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Which is the best Bible translation..

Post by Lonewolf »

.. out there that you would recommend for the non-denominational Christian ???

I find the KJV hard to understand many a time.
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Which is the best Bible translation..

Post by B. W. »

Lonewolf wrote:.. out there that you would recommend for the non-denominational Christian ???

I use several English versions. I use the NKJV and NASB when preaching and study. I also find the New Living Translation as great help too to bring out a nuance of the text. The ESV is one I like. The NKJV, NASB, ESV are good ones to use. I am skeptical of the NIV as it often deletes words and often suggest in its notes that the NIV is the only version, however, a few places it does a good job in expressing the text. I use two Greek Text and the Septuagint along with a Hebrew Old Testament and a host of study book, etc...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

if you want a word to word translation then go with what B.W has already suggested.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Lonewolf
Valued Member

Post by Lonewolf »

LOL @ Neo

and thanks Mr. B.W.
Your outward profession of having put on Christ, has as yet to put off Plato from your heart!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

B. W. wrote:
Lonewolf wrote:.. out there that you would recommend for the non-denominational Christian ???

I use several English versions. I use the NKJV and NASB when preaching and study. I also find the New Living Translation as great help too to bring out a nuance of the text. The ESV is one I like. The NKJV, NASB, ESV are good ones to use. I am skeptical of the NIV as it often deletes words and often suggest in its notes that the NIV is the only version, however, a few places it does a good job in expressing the text. I use two Greek Text and the Septuagint along with a Hebrew Old Testament and a host of study book, etc...
-
-
-
Agreed, some also like the NET and I also like the Jerusalem Bible and the NRSV.
Domenic
Established Member

Post by Domenic »

The Bible was taken from the Scrolls...whichever Bible matches the Scrolls is the best Bible. You can buy a copy of the scrolls in English for about $70 USD.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Current translations take into account the Majority texts but also the minoroty texts (unlike the KJV that worked solely on the Textus Recpetus). After the finding of the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus Codexs and the Dad Sea scrolls ( In regards to the OT), many of the older translations become "obsolete".
That said pretty much every translation has some bias on the part of the translators, even those that can read the original Aramiac or Hebrew or Koine Greek don't always agree on the meaning of the words and texts ( especially since some words have more than one meaning), that said NO MAJOR doctrine has ever been put in "danger" because of different translations.
Domenic
Established Member

Post by Domenic »

PaulSacramento wrote:Current translations take into account the Majority texts but also the minoroty texts (unlike the KJV that worked solely on the Textus Recpetus). After the finding of the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus Codexs and the Dad Sea scrolls ( In regards to the OT), many of the older translations become "obsolete".
That said pretty much every translation has some bias on the part of the translators, even those that can read the original Aramiac or Hebrew or Koine Greek don't always agree on the meaning of the words and texts ( especially since some words have more than one meaning), that said NO MAJOR doctrine has ever been put in "danger" because of different translations.
If what you say is true, than the NWT of Jehovah's Witnesses is also not in danger?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Domenic wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Current translations take into account the Majority texts but also the minoroty texts (unlike the KJV that worked solely on the Textus Recpetus). After the finding of the Sinaiticus and Vaticanus Codexs and the Dad Sea scrolls ( In regards to the OT), many of the older translations become "obsolete".
If what you say is true, than the NWT of Jehovah's Witnesses is also not in danger?
The NWT is not a bad translation for the OT, except for their insistence in using Jehovah.
It is a very bad one for the NT.
Domenic
Established Member

Post by Domenic »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Domenic wrote:
The NWT is not a bad translation for the OT, except for their insistence in using Jehovah.
I agree. Jehovah is not Gods name. Gods name is YHWH, and that does not translate to Jehovah. There is no true know translation known to man.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Domenic wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Domenic wrote:
I agree. Jehovah is not Gods name. Gods name is YHWH, and that does not translate to Jehovah. There is no true know translation known to man.
Based on the root of the word and such most suggest/are comfortable with Yahweh/Yahveh/Jahveh variations.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I have always loved the KJV bible and I rely on it mostly because if it wasn't for Christians like William Tyndale who put their lives on the line like they did we may not have had a bible in English these men were burned at the stake so that we could have a bible in English,if they were willing to die then I trust them over these new translations where nobody died I just don't trust modern translations and can see how it is more watered down in newer translations even if people say they are easier to understand,when I read them it seems to be a weaker message especially the NIV but I have other translations too I just don't read them much,if I do its my NKJV.I prefer to use my NKJV when reading certain parts of the old testament though but I still rely on the KJV more but I stick with my KJV for the new testament as I don't think it is hard to understand and it is not watered down like in certain other translations.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I have always loved the KJV bible and I rely on it mostly because if it wasn't for Christians like William Tyndale who put their lives on the line like they did we may not have had a bible in English these men were burned at the stake so that we could have a bible in English,if they were willing to die then I trust them over these new translations where nobody died I just don't trust modern translations and can see how it is more watered down in newer translations even if people say they are easier to understand,when I read them it seems to be a weaker message especially the NIV but I have other translations too I just don't read them much,if I do its my NKJV.I prefer to use my NKJV when reading certain parts of the old testament though but I still rely on the KJV more but I stick with my KJV for the new testament as I don't think it is hard to understand and it is not watered down like in certain other translations.
The KJV is a good translation. I enjoy it for its poetic beauty most of all, but isn't free of problems. The NIV is an excellent translation as well. I understand the emotional attachment folks have for the KJV. I myself am used to hearing God's voice in KJV English since it's the translation I grew up with. Some KJV Onlyists try to say that it is the only inspired translation, but I really don't think their logic is sound for a lot of reasons. One of the reasons they'll give is because we've used the KJV for so long, why should we change? Well, with that logic, then why don't we use the Latin Vulgate? As Paul already stated, the KJV is based solely on the textus receptus. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but other versions are based on the eclectic text and the KJV translators would have certainly taken those texts into account if they'd had them. (Read the introduction by the translators at the beginning) More of a consensus translation I guess you could say. You can get saved by reading the NIV just as well as you could from the KJV.

Basically, just don't read The Message. Although paraphrasing may not be inherently bad, it is rather dangerous to do so and, in the case of The Message involves a lot of eisegesis. Specifically with removal of nearly all references to Jesus as Lord and replacing it with Master (A New Age term), removal of the condemnation of homosexuality in the New Testament and an addition of proper Christians being environmentalists and protecting the Earth. The thing that really revealed the spirit behind this paraphrase was the addition of "As above, so below" to the Lord's prayer instead of "On earth as it is in heaven." I'll let you think about that for a minute.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Well it is my understanding that the dead sea scrolls confirmed the Hebrew text the KJV translators used and it proved the text has not changed however I have not thoroughly researched this and I am going on a book I read along time ago called The signature of God.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

The best Bible translation is the one you'll enjoy reading.

FL y:-B
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +