What does it mean to be good?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

What does it mean to be good?

Post by MAGSolo »

According to the bible only God can be good because the bible says something to the extent of "none are good but the Lord" or something like that. What is the precise meaning of God's goodness? What traits and characteristics make him good?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: What does it mean to be good?

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

If we told you, you'd disagree. So, what is the point of your question?

Why not just tell us right away that God is violent, mean and petty? Stop wasting our time and tell us plainly what you want to say.

FL :sleep:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

well yes, that is mostly what I believe. So for me to understand why christians consider God to be good, its important to understand what goodness means to you in the first place. What qualities and characteristics make someone good?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

MAGSolo wrote:What qualities and characteristics make someone good?
Are you schizoïd? You yourself got this right in your first post on this topic:
MAGSolo wrote:
According to the bible only God can be good because the bible says something to the extent of "none are good but the Lord"
No one is good, according to the Bible, and you know this. Why do you now ask what makes someone good?

FL y@-)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

If you dont even have the aptitude to understand a basic question like this, I dont think you will be much help, so ill just wait for someone else to answer.
Last edited by MAGSolo on Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

MAGSolo wrote:If you dont even have the aptitude to understand a basic question like this, I dont think you will be much help, so ill just wait for someone else to answer.
You're the one who says ''No one is good'' and then goes on to ask ''Who is good?''

Try to think things through next time, Einstein.

FL :D

+ + +

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

I never said who is good, I said what does goodness mean. I dont know where you possibly see that I asked who is good, but If english isnt your first language then maybe there is a language barrier issue that is causing your confusion. The bible says only God is good. The question is what does goodness mean. Saying only God is good does not answer the question of what goodness is. For example there is a Bob Marley interview where the interviewer asks him if he is a rich man to which Bob Marley replies, When you say rich, what do you mean" The interviewer asks does he have a lot of possessions, or a lot of money in the bank and Bob Marley replies "Possessions make you rich?" He then says he doesnt have that kind of richness but the richness of eternal life. So as you see, describing someone as x,y, or z means nothing without know what x,y, and z actually means. Saying God is good means nothing without know what Christians think goodness means.

Once again so you are clear, the question is what is goodness, not who is good. Im really puzzled how you got that I was asking who is good out of anything I said. Serious question, are you a native English speaker?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

MAGSolo wrote:I never said who is good, I said what does goodness mean.
You are confused:
MAGSolo wrote:What qualities and characteristics make someone good?
No one is good. You said this yourself:
MAGSolo wrote: by MAGSolo » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:18 pm
According to the bible only God can be good...
Now, stop being a putz.

FL :shakehead:

+ + +

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

You are confused. I said "according to the bible only God is good...so what is the precise meaning of Gods goodness? Its right there clear as day in the first post. Not my problem you dont have the aptitude for basic reading comprehension. When I said what qualities and characteristics make someone good, that is the same as asking what is goodness. That is not me asking who is good. Again either English isnt your first language or you lack the aptitude to understand basic questions
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Continue making a fool of yourself!

+ + +

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

You are the only one making a fool of yourself with your complete lack of basic reading comprehension :ebiggrin:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

MAGSolo wrote:You are the only one making a fool of yourself with your complete lack of basic reading comprehension :ebiggrin:
You are good for a few laughs!

+ + +

+ + +
MAGSolo
Valued Member

Post by MAGSolo »

Thanks for derailing the thread :o Seems to be a common ruse when you cant answer a hard question y:-? You have been very useless :lol:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

MAGSolo wrote:Thanks for derailing the thread :o Seems to be a common ruse when you cant answer a hard question y:-? You have been very useless :lol:
You are welcome. I did you a favor. You would not have understood the answer anyway.

I'm trying to think of a question you could ask that usually stumps Christians. As soon as I think of one, I'll PM you and I promise not to participate. I'll let you handle it all by yourself.

PM :cheers:

+ + +

+ + +