Multiverses are a danger to Physics.

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Multiverses are a danger to Physics.

Post by Silvertusk »

Absolutely fascinating article. It has put my mind to rest about a few things. Written by George Ellis I believe

http://www.tokseminars.org/Science_News ... ysics.html
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Multiverses are a danger to Physics.

Post by Kurieuo »

Silvertusk wrote:Absolutely fascinating article. It has put my mind to rest about a few things. Written by George Ellis I believe

http://www.tokseminars.org/Science_News ... ysics.html
:lalala:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Multiverses are a danger to Physics.

Post by 1over137 »

I enjoyed the reading.

From the end
To make progress, we need to keep to the idea that empirical testing is the core of science. We need some kind of causal contact with whatever entities we propose; otherwise, there are no limits. The link can be a bit indirect. If an entity is unobservable but absolutely essential for properties of other entities that are indeed verified, it can be taken as verified. But then the onus of proving it is absolutely essential to the web of explanation. The challenge I pose to multiverse proponents is: Can you prove that unseeable parallel universes are vital to explain the world we do see? And is the link essential and inescapable?

As skeptical as I am, I think the contemplation of the multiverse is an excellent opportunity to reflect on the nature of science and on the ultimate nature of existence: why we are here. It leads to new and interesting insights and so is a productive research program. In looking at this concept, we need an open mind, though not too open. It is a delicate path to tread. Parallel universes may or may not exist; the case is unproved. We are going to have to live with that uncertainty. Nothing is wrong with scientifically based philosophical speculation, which is what multiverse proposals are. But we should name it for what it is.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart