My Board Certification

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

My Board Certification

Post by Jac3510 »

I just wanted to let you all know that I am really excited because I just submitted my application for board certification to the Board of Chaplaincy Certification, Inc. I've been working toward this goal for about three years or so now . . . maybe four. I'm not really sure. Anyway, it is a huge deal for me. It was really a relief and sort of depressing to be able to condense four years (well, really, nine, but that's another story) of my life into about 100 page application. But, it is finally DONE. So God willing I will have my board interview in Jackson, MS sometime in mid March, at which time I will get my provisional certification, and then in June get my full certification.

So PRAISE GOD. It's been one heck of a trip, and this looks to be only the beginning. Very, very, very excited. Just wanted to share it with you all.

God bless! :) :) :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Re: My Board Certification

Post by neo-x »

Cheers to you Jac, God be with you and bless your efforts.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

:dancing:

Achieving long time aim? Sounds like a really good news.

Can you tell me more about certification? What kind of achievement is that and so.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

It is good news. :)

As to what board certification means . . . primarily it is peer recognition from others that I have demonstrated the necessarily skills in order to function effectively in a clinical setting. The standards are very high. It requires, at a minimum, a three year master's degree, ordination in your faith group (which, for me, is a two year, very grueling process; for many others it is similar), and around 4500 hours of supervised clinical practice. Of those 4500 ours, about 2500 include very heavy review of both professional and personal matters with a major stress on honesty and integration. I've seen people not make it through that process alone, and all of us (myself included) reduced to tears on more than one occasion as we are forced to battle with our own hurts. The end goal is to recognize that we are "wounded healers." Just for comparison, I've talked to several licensed professional counselors who have gone through the same training I have as well as their own (it is not uncommon for board certified chaplains (BCC) to go on and become licensed counselors (either LPC - licensed professional counselor - or LMFT - licensed marriage and family therapist), as our training is already very similar. And all of them have told me that their BCC requirements were far more difficult and far more effective than their counseling requirements. Maintaining a BCC requires annual continuing education and every five years an intense review before a board of your peers (which means another 100 page application).

As to benefits, it means, first of all, a promotion at my current job. That means more money. It also means a higher ceiling. It opens up future possibilities in the field, since board certification is considered foundational to more advanced work. I'm a Chaplain I right now. In June I should get promoted to Chaplain II. In a few years I ought to make Chaplain III, which is much more heavily focused on research, teaching, and writing. But before I make Chaplain III, I have to show a history of actually researching and publishing, which the BCC designation lets me do. To that end, I already have three studies planned that my director is interested in pursuing. That could mean grants. :)

All this also lets me consider taking a job as a director in a few years, or possibly going back for more training (four years) to become what is called an ACPE Supervisor (essentially, the person who trains chaplains in their first 2500 hours of work). The bottom line to all this is that it is a huge professional stepping stone.

I didn't post this to brag. I just cannot tell you how excited I am that I'm finally about to get this thing under my belt! :) :) :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

And to add, seems like you got to know yourself better. (Stress on honesty, wounded healers...) :wave:

God bless you in further achievements.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

1over137 wrote:And to add, seems like you got to know yourself better. (Stress on honesty, wounded healers...) :wave:
Yup. That's pretty much the whole idea of our training. If I go the ACPE supervisor route it'll be four more years of that. Basically, putting yourself, all your thoughts, all your actions, all your feelings, under a microscope in a public fashion . . . actually being willing to submit all of that very private stuff to others going through the same process. So, yes, you definitely get to know yourself! You also learn to develop concrete skin. ;)
God bless you in further achievements.
Thank you. :D
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Jac3510 wrote:So, yes, you definitely get to know yourself! You also learn to develop concrete skin.
The above two qualities are useful for all Christians.

FL :teacher:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:So, yes, you definitely get to know yourself! You also learn to develop concrete skin.

one quality + one quality = two qualities y*-:)

#foreverinmyheart
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Congratulations Jac. That's an awesome achievement. Glad to hear you are excited & hope there is more to come.
Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:

I'd shorten that to just 'all'
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

True, pro. Oddly enough, we had an atheist in my CPE residency program. Her "faith group" was a unitarian church that explicitly said in its "doctrinal statement" that it was a place for both believers and unbelievers alike to come and share unconditional love and "spiritual growth." Obviously, for her, "spiritual" had a very different meaning, but it was fun, not to mention helpful, to have her in the program. It really forced us to take seriously the notion of being able to work alongside of and minister to people of every faith group, including those who are of no faith at all. Anyway, she said a similar thing to you here--she found the program extremely valuable. I don't know if she ever found a position. Finding a job as a hospital chaplain requires putting out resumes nation wide, so you don't really get to keep in touch with your other residents. But all the same, she was a good chaplain, so I'm sure she's doing well enough for herself.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:I just wanted to let you all know that I am really excited because I just submitted my application for board certification to the Board of Chaplaincy Certification, Inc. I've been working toward this goal for about three years or so now . . . maybe four. I'm not really sure. Anyway, it is a huge deal for me. It was really a relief and sort of depressing to be able to condense four years (well, really, nine, but that's another story) of my life into about 100 page application. But, it is finally DONE. So God willing I will have my board interview in Jackson, MS sometime in mid March, at which time I will get my provisional certification, and then in June get my full certification.

So PRAISE GOD. It's been one heck of a trip, and this looks to be only the beginning. Very, very, very excited. Just wanted to share it with you all.

God bless! :) :) :)
Glad to hear you moving forward to where you want to be.

I often wondered what it is you studied and overall life journey since we both began here.
Especially given the many ups and downs with your seeming love-hate relationship for G&S and this board. ;)
But, seems there's been some mellowing especially in recent years.

So I'd be interested to know about what was happening in your life over the past dozen years.

BUT, Congratulations! Hope things work out more for you.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Glad to hear it. I always thought of 'hospital chaplain' as a Christian position but I've never experienced death of a loved one outwith the Catholic church.

/offtopic

I recall you were writing a book/paper/thing as a sort of layman's guide to divine simplicity. Did I miss it? is it still in the works?
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Congrats, Jac! I hope God uses you powerfully in your career. It's not everyone so fortunate to make a living doing something they love. Godspeed!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Congrats Jac!

I'm glad you found something you enjoy! And I bet it feels good to see your hard work pay off.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Congrats Jac !
I am glad that things are working out the way you want them to.
I am curious as to what kind of training ( in terms of dealing with grief) you have, care to share?