Faith and works

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Faith and works

Post by Jac3510 »

Kurieuo wrote:Good diagram. Sadly, I think many Christians and theologians get caught up on mere "belief" without investigating what it entails.
The word "mere" is telling. Jesus Himself got caught up in "mere" belief. He said:

Whoever believes in Me has everlasting life (John 6:47)

He doesn't say "whoever believes AND." And until we take that seriously, we cannot claim to believe what He said. So since Jesus talked about "mere" belief, that's all we have the right to talk about.
If no one seeks God, then for us to "believe in God" shows a change in our normal response. A spiritual change. A change in heart. A desire to follow God.
When we believe in something, it runs deep. This is why discussions inevitably boil over into heated debates. When someone attacks our belief, we often feel they're attacking us.
No one seeks after God by their own corrupt nature. But the Father draws all men to Himself through Christ and through the conviction of the Holy Spirit. It is only a "spiritual change" to believe the gospel in the trivial sense that something is different about a part of your spiritual life than it was before--namely, before you did not believe, and now you do. The "desire to follow God" has nothing to do with whether or not we have experienced this "change." To say it is, is to add to the words of Jesus. For Jesus did NOT say, "everyone who believes in Me and desires to follow Me . . ." Feel free to look back at the diagram. Make the yellow circle "those who desire to follow God."
Consider pisteuo, the term often translated into "belief": http://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons ... steuo.html
It is rather complicated if you think about it. Belief is rather complicated.
No, pisteuo is not complicated. The best translation is "place your faith in," and that only because we don't, in English, have a verb "to faith." It has the idea of placing your trust in something, which is to say, entrusting. I've written on this in some more detail here
We as Christians cannot make ourselves believe God doesn't exist at a click of our fingers any more than an Atheist can make themselves instantly believe in God. Rather deeper changes need to happen such that belief (the end result) comes to fruition. When you finally believe then all those other deeper inward changes with you are attached to it.
You are focused on the intellectual idea of belief, which is understandable as that's the word we normally use when talking about pisteuo or aman. But a much better word is "trust" or the phrase "put your faith in." Then you won't be so tempted to look at the intellectual piece and start trying to draw these sorts of conclusions. In any case, beyond all that, the preconditions for belief/faith/trust do not guarantee in any sense of the word what happens in either the moment of faith or after it happens. As such, we cannot claim that those preconditions will necessarily manifest themselves in works after we put our faith in Christ. Again, cf. John 12:42.
Trying to think of a good analogy here, but it'll probably be less than good. Think of a seedling in fertile ground being watered. Eventually it sprouts into a small plant or flower. In order to sprout it is receiving the water and sun such that an inward change happens that enables it to grow. The sprouting is like "belief" alone. It is the end result of God's nurturing if us will, or sometimes even God cracking our hard outer shell against the rocks to try and break us. But, to just leave it at "belief" and ignore all the changes that happened, such seems to me rather hollow.
But Jesus' own use of this example disagrees with you. He said,
  • The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. (Luke 8:11-15)
Notice the underlined phrases. The first group does not place their faith in Christ and so they are not saved. The second group does place their faith in Christ, but only for a little while. They lose their faith. The third group does not mature in their faith. Only the third group remains faithful, but notice that they do so by persevering. And here I go back to the diagram. Jesus does not say everyone who believes AND perseveres. The persevering would be the yellow circle.

What you are doing, though well intentioned, just like Craig, is saying that Jesus was wrong, that NOT everyone who believes as everlasting life. In His own example here, He points to examples of people who believed and then lost their faith (and so did not produce fruit) and people who believed but didn't cultivate their faith (and so did not produce fruit). But He does NOT say that they are not saved. That only applies to those who did NOT believe (the first group).

Is the faith of the second and third groups hollow? Absolutely! Is it dead? Yes! Does that mean their faith is not "real"? No. Does it mean it does not exist? Of course not. Does it man those people are not believers? Absolutely not. And to say that their hollow faith is not a real faith, that it is a fake faith, and that therefore those people are not believers, is to preach a false gospel for the same reasons I've already said before (bluntly, it makes Jesus a liar).
If someone truly believes in Christ, then it stands to reason that such inner changes that brought a person to that point should bear out in works.* Jesus talks of determining false prophets by the fruit that they bear, and the way they act. (Matt 7:15-20) While it is not a hard and fast rule, there is merit to the thought that if a Christian is getting worse -- something suspicious is going on with their "belief".
Notice the underlined word. You've added to Jesus' words. Jesus doesn't distinguish between true and false faith. You do that. That qualifier is NEVER found in Scripture. That's just something religious people invent so that they can claim people aren't saved when they don't act the way we want them to. Second, when a person believes in Christ, it does NOT stand to reason that "such inner changes that brought a person to that point should bear out in works." That's an assumption on your part that is both unwarranted and is refuted by Scripture (Luke 8:11-15; John 12:42). What you ought to say, with Scripture, is that if a person ABIDES in their faith, then the Holy Spirit will produce good works through them. And this is important. It is not changes that brought you to faith that causes you to change and produce good fruit. It is the Holy Spirit working through you that produces the fruit.

Finally, Matt 7 does NOT say that false prophets are known by the way they act. It says the opposite. Their sheep's clothing is the way they act. What is the fruit of a prophet? Not his behavior, but his doctrine. And that is consistent with the Old Testament, by the way (see Deut 18:15-22). A person can act very Christian like. That doesn't make them a believer, nor does it mean we should trust their teaching. What we have to do is look at what they actually teach. We have to look at their fruit. Do they preach the gospel? If not, if they add works to salvation, then they are to be rejected as false prophets, and that regardless of how well they behave. Christians need to get serious about the fact that behavior has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not you go to heaven or hell, and to say it does IN ANY SENSE is to fail to understand or believe the gospel.
*BUT, at the same time "belief" is an incorrigible thing to us. We can immediately know by a mere reflection whether or not we believe in something. Others don't have the same access to our beliefs that we do. So rest assured, if you believe Christ, hoping in Him for acceptance before an all-righteous God, that your faith will be accepted and Christ will intercede. You probably don't even realise all the ways you are being changed from the inside out. (Philippians 1.6)
Phil 1:6 is collective, not singular. The "you" is plural, and it is helpful to know that, in Greek, there is no "generic you" like we have in English. The word "you" ALWAYS refers to a specific person or group of people. In that verse, Paul is promising that Jesus would continue bringing fruit from the work He started by the church's ministry. And He is still keeping that promise. After all, we're still talking about them, aren't we?

But to your other point, belief is something we know on reflection, and others do not know it. But still less do they know it by watching our behavior. They know it when we tell them. To say that because someone is not "acting like" a "true Christian" is just to commit a True Scotsman fallacy. Again, I point you to Luke 8, John 12, and to the others I already pointed Paul to.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:Here's a diagram to make it clearer
SalvationDiagram - Faith and Works.png
The question is, who is saved? Is it a) those in the left circle (the blue), b) those in the right circle (the yellow), or c) those in BOTH circles (the green)?

If you don't say "the blue" then you are preaching a false gospel. WLC says the green. He is preaching a false gospel.
Jac,

I'm with you, but you lost me on the diagram and the question. I would say those in the blue and the green are saved. Those in the green(as the diagram is written), do believe. They also have good works. It doesn't say they need the good works to be saved. It simply says they do good works. By saying only the blue is saved, you seem to be saying that believers can't do good works. Maybe the diagram could be worded better? y:-?
Haha, you are right. Thank you for the clarification. You are right. Those in the blue AND green are saved. What we cannot say, as most try to do, is that ONLY the green are saved. And the reason, I would add, that those in the green are saved has nothing to do with them also being in the yellow circle (that's why I chose green, by the way ;)), but because they are first and foremost in the blue circle.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Jac wrote:
Haha, you are right. Thank you for the clarification. You are right. Those in the blue AND green are saved. What we cannot say, as most try to do, is that ONLY the green are saved. And the reason, I would add, that those in the green are saved has nothing to do with them also being in the yellow circle (that's why I chose green, by the way ), but because they are first and foremost in the blue circle.
Yes. Now I agree. WLC is saying that ONLY the green are saved, because he says those with a genuine faith, will produce good works.

So yes. Those who say only the green are saved, are promoting a false gospel.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. (Luke 8:11-15)

Notice the underlined phrases. The first group does not place their faith in Christ and so they are not saved. The second group does place their faith in Christ, but only for a little while. They lose their faith. The third group does not mature in their faith. Only the third group remains faithful, but notice that they do so by persevering. And here I go back to the diagram. Jesus does not say everyone who believes AND perseveres. The persevering would be the yellow circle.
Jac,

I remember a thread about this a while back. I didn't agree with what you said about this parable. I always reserve the right to change my mind. And I'm changing my mind. I understand better now, and I agree with your interpretation.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

We had a discussion numerous years ago on "faith" Jac.

I believe the result of that discussion was you greatly oversimplify what is means to "believe". What is involved in someone's "belief".
At least compared to myself who sees "belief" as something much deeper to who the person is (i.e., "heart belief" vs "head belief" perhaps).

Philosophy of belief is something as an apologist I was extremely interested in.
For if you understand what makes someone believe, you can try and better direct someone to Christ.
Jac wrote:Notice the underlined word ["true belief"]. You've added to Jesus' words. Jesus doesn't distinguish between true and false faith. You do that.
Jac wrote:Finally, Matt 7 does NOT say that false prophets are known by the way they act. It says the opposite.
It isn't the best translation, but the NLT would disagree with you: "You can identify them by their fruit, that is, by the way they act. Can you pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?"

I think a simple most obvious interpretation is that they're pretending with their act.
With pretending you act one way in front of people, and another way when not.
So you are right, in saying "Their sheep's clothing is the way they act."

But I consider wrong when you say: "What is the fruit of a prophet? Not his behavior, but his doctrine. I just don't see that, and I dare say the most obvious interpretation here is also to associate fruit with his real actions devoid of pretense and not doctrine. I'm not sure I have any real hang up though either way.

Ironically, if you associate the fruit of a false prophet with his doctrine then doesn't that count as "false belief"? Are you saying he needs "true belief"?
You've added to Jesus' words since he doesn't distinguish between truth and false faith. You do that here. But of course, I'm parroting your own words back to you.

If "belief" is what saves us, then Jesus does certainly distinguish between true and false beliefs in Matt 7:13-14
Last edited by Kurieuo on Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:
K wrote:Trying to think of a good analogy here, but it'll probably be less than good. Think of a seedling in fertile ground being watered. Eventually it sprouts into a small plant or flower. In order to sprout it is receiving the water and sun such that an inward change happens that enables it to grow. The sprouting is like "belief" alone. It is the end result of God's nurturing if us will, or sometimes even God cracking our hard outer shell against the rocks to try and break us. But, to just leave it at "belief" and ignore all the changes that happened, such seems to me rather hollow.
But Jesus' own use of this example disagrees with you. He said,
  • The seed is the word of God. Those along the path are the ones who hear, and then the devil comes and takes away the word from their hearts, so that they may not believe and be saved. Those on the rocky ground are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away. The seed that fell among thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life’s worries, riches and pleasures, and they do not mature. But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. (Luke 8:11-15)

Jesus' intended meaning in his analogy is different to my own meaning.
This passage doesn't really have much bearing of my exploration of "belief".
Jesus is talking about something else here to what I was.
We just happen to use a similar analogy of "seed".

BUT, notice your words that I bolded?

What do you mean they "lose their faith"? What do they believe in and then not?

And then what of those who "persevere"? They persevere in their faith -- their belief?
What "crop" do they produce with their belief?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

We did have this conversation before, and then, as now, I think the difference is hermeneutical. I am looking at what the word pisteuo means and drawing my theological conclusions from that. You are starting with a theological construct and using that as a hermeneutical lens by which to read pisteuo. If you are allowed to do that, then anyone else is, and the word becomes meaningless precisely because it can mean anything.

And yes, the NLT is a poor translation. There is literally no Greek behind the phrase in question. It is literally just a commentary. They may as well say, "You shall know them by their fruit [editors note: that is, by the way they act]." I assume that you understand why that is absolutely useless to our discussion and I trust that you won't be pressing it as evidence for . . . well . . . anything, expect, perhaps, that there are people who think that the "fruit" of a false prophet is their behavior. And Jesus does NOT distinguish between true and false faith. False prophets don't have a false faith (in the sense of the supposed opposite of "truly believing"). They either have no faith whatsoever and are mere charlatans or else they have their faith in the wrong thing. That is, the object of their faith is wrong. Jesus is making no comments on the quality or nature of that faith. As it happens, in this passage, the false prophets did have their faith in the wrong thing: namely, their works (as the passage goes on to demonstrate). But "real" vs. "fake" faith? No. That distinction doesn't exist in Scripture. It's one that people made up so they could accuse people of not "really" believing when they don't act "right."

And as to your last comments, when Jesus said they lost their faith, He meant exactly that. They stopped trusting in Him. They stopped placing their faith in Him. It's the same thing the author of Hebrews was talking about with his book. Needless to say, that doesn't mean they never believed (if that were the case, then Jesus is just contradicting Himself). Still less does it mean that they lost their salvation. It just means that they don't produce fruit. And what is the "crop" they produce? Good works (so Eph 2:10). And from that it is clear that good works are the result of abiding in faith (which Jesus says explicitly in John 15). They are not the necessary result of placing your faith in Christ for salvation, since, per Jesus' own remarks, we may not abide in faith after all (which is also explicitly said in John 15).

edit:

Self-congratulatory "like" of Rick's post. ;)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:We did have this conversation before, and then, as now, I think the difference is hermeneutical. I am looking at what the word pisteuo means and drawing my theological conclusions from that. You are starting with a theological construct and using that as a hermeneutical lens by which to read pisteuo. If you are allowed to do that, then anyone else is, and the word becomes meaningless precisely because it can mean anything.
Not really, I see I take the same definition as you and linked to the lexicon earlier.
Even at your link, to "trust in Jesus" requires certain preconditions to be met in a person.
In this discussion, I see a stone being thrown at my words when perhaps there is no real need.

I'm not defining "belief" or adding to it.
Rather to get at the crux you might answer the following question:
Why is it an Atheist can't just "believe in Christ" -- unless you believe otherwise, why not?
Last edited by Kurieuo on Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Here is an interesting thing Thomas Aquinas wrote regarding grace that works...
Thomas Aquinas
Summa Theologica

Question 109. The necessity of grace

Article 9. Whether one who has already obtained grace, can, of himself and without further help of grace, do good and avoid sin?

I answer that, As stated above (Article 5), in order to live righteously a man needs a twofold help of God--first, a habitual gift whereby corrupted human nature is healed, and after being healed is lifted up so as to work deeds meritoriously of everlasting life, which exceed the capability of nature. Secondly, man needs the help of grace in order to be moved by God to act.

http://www.newadvent.org/summa/2109.htm#article9
So, did he teach that works do evidence one's salvation by Grace?

Again, Craig is dealing with a Muslim. With this in mind, please note that Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto, New Age, Judaism, pantheism, all rely on a moral superiority of one's works as what counts in a prideful sort of way. Liberal and Ecumenical Christians do so as well. Notice that they all recite and display a moral superior attitude of works that merit favor with gods or god, etc. they all shout - look at what I do and have done in a superior kind of way that makes them look better than everyone else.

WLC was dealing with one such religion, Islam, that does indeed have a moral superiority complex over all by its works.People, like New Agers for example, have a moral superiority attitude but remain so nice about it. Some things are obvious. Other are not. Craig is not being or claiming a works based moral superiority but rather stating something akin to Thomas Aquinas quoted above to a superior minded Muslim. So I ask, has anyone thought of this?

Is there any difference in Craig's comments and Thomas Aquinas? If a man or woman remains unmoved, were they actually saved to begin with?

How can one be wrong and the other right?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Starhunter

Post by Starhunter »

RickD wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Guys, look at what he is saying:
Good deeds are a necessary condition of salvation in a logical sense, in that, necessarily, if someone has saving faith, then he will do good deeds
WLC is countering that it is FAITH that drives people to do good, NOT to be saved BUT BECAUSE they ARE saved.
Paul,

If good works are necessarily the result of genuine faith, that means works are an inevitable sign of a genuine faith. If something is necessarily a result of something, that means it has to happen. That's what necessarily means. Which again, means Craig is saying works are always a sign of genuine faith. Which means to Craig, works are necessary for salvation.
That's what the Bible teaches, but the good works have to be those initiated and completed by Christ in us, not our works.
Every time the word work is mentioned we think of ourselves, why is that? Egocentricity maybe?
"The Just shall live by faith."

Righteousness is not an empty thought or compliment, it is real WORKS, the real works of God through Christ, by the Holy Spirit.
Righteousness is from right actions driven by right motives, but it is never just an amulet for the Christian's neck.

If one does not produce righteousness in their walk with God, either the religious life is fake or God is dead, but you cannot have the experience of conversion without the works of God appearing in the life.
True, they may not appear to others, we judge not, but they appear, even if only the angels see.

Only the righteous enter heaven, only those who have given themselves over to Christ for transformation, only those who overcome their cultivated and inherited tendencies to sin through a connection with Christ. God expects a good harvest from Christs works, not a world of people who trample and disregard His commandments.

Once again the only work God recommended is the work of faith.
"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling..." Why? "...because it is God which works in you both to will and to do His good pleasure."

It is not even our faith, as Revelation states, the saints have the faith of Jesus. It does not say faith in Jesus, but of Him.
The faith that Christ has given us from birth is that gift of God, it isn't even of our own origin, but born from heaven for us.

The exercise of this faith is a process of working out what is really true about God, it is a battle against preconceived and narrow views of Divinity.

We cannot have a new view while focusing on our works, which amount to nothing as you all know.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
Jac wrote:
Haha, you are right. Thank you for the clarification. You are right. Those in the blue AND green are saved. What we cannot say, as most try to do, is that ONLY the green are saved. And the reason, I would add, that those in the green are saved has nothing to do with them also being in the yellow circle (that's why I chose green, by the way ), but because they are first and foremost in the blue circle.
Yes. Now I agree. WLC is saying that ONLY the green are saved, because he says those with a genuine faith, will produce good works.

So yes. Those who say only the green are saved, are promoting a false gospel.
See, I really don;t think he is saying that, that ONLY those that do good are saved.
I think he is contrasting those that SAY they believe and do bad knowingly and don't try to do good and those that believe and try to do good because they believe.

I think it is clear that you and Jac believe that REGARDLESS of what a person does, as long as they believe they are saved, and I agree with this 100%.
BUT what I am thinking that WLC is saying si that those the SAY they believe BUt act otherwise means they really DON'T believe and as such since they do NOT believe ( as much as they may proclaim to) they are not saved because they truly do NOT believe.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

PaulS wrote:
BUT what I am thinking that WLC is saying si that those the SAY they believe BUt act otherwise means they really DON'T believe and as such since they do NOT believe ( as much as they may proclaim to) they are not saved because they truly do NOT believe.
So there's a certain way believers have to act in order to prove they are saved? I hope you can see the problem with that.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote:
PaulS wrote:
So there's a certain way believers have to act in order to prove they are saved? I hope you can see the problem with that.
Have to?
No.
Should?
Perhaps?
TRY?
Yes.
Want to?
Yes.

One thing should be stated and that this isn't about proof to ANYONE in regards to who is saved, I mean, we all agree that God saves those He decides to save ( and one can argue those that He has promised He would save).
I think this, and I have had to address this with atheists and skeptics that find the notion of salvation via faith to be appalling, is an issue of confronting the mistaken view that faith in Christ is a magical "get out of jail free" card than anyone can play and BOOM !, they are saved.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac wrote:And as to your last comments, when Jesus said they lost their faith, He meant exactly that. They stopped trusting in Him. They stopped placing their faith in Him. It's the same thing the author of Hebrews was talking about with his book. Needless to say, that doesn't mean they never believed (if that were the case, then Jesus is just contradicting Himself). Still less does it mean that they lost their salvation. It just means that they don't produce fruit. And what is the "crop" they produce? Good works (so Eph 2:10). And from that it is clear that good works are the result of abiding in faith (which Jesus says explicitly in John 15). They are not the necessary result of placing your faith in Christ for salvation, since, per Jesus' own remarks, we may not abide in faith after all (which is also explicitly said in John 15).
On your view, people who reject Christ after becoming a Christian, and even vehemently attack Christianity are saved.
Even the likes of Hitler if he believed in Christ cannot undo his being saved.
There is no way one can reject Christ if they believed, even if they no longer want anything to do with God.
I can't accept that view.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
Jac wrote:And as to your last comments, when Jesus said they lost their faith, He meant exactly that. They stopped trusting in Him. They stopped placing their faith in Him. It's the same thing the author of Hebrews was talking about with his book. Needless to say, that doesn't mean they never believed (if that were the case, then Jesus is just contradicting Himself). Still less does it mean that they lost their salvation. It just means that they don't produce fruit. And what is the "crop" they produce? Good works (so Eph 2:10). And from that it is clear that good works are the result of abiding in faith (which Jesus says explicitly in John 15). They are not the necessary result of placing your faith in Christ for salvation, since, per Jesus' own remarks, we may not abide in faith after all (which is also explicitly said in John 15).
On your view, people who reject Christ after becoming a Christian, and even vehemently attack Christianity are saved.
Even the likes of Hitler if he believed in Christ cannot undo his being saved.
There is no way one can reject Christ if they believed, even if they no longer want anything to do with God.
I can't accept that view.
Does someone like Hitler deserve less grace than someone else? Being consistent, are you saying that the likes of King David aren't saved either?

-Edward R Murrow