Thinking....

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Dawngoogs
Newbie Member

Thinking....

Post by Dawngoogs »

Has anyone ever gave thinking any thought?

What I mean is, how do humans think? We can't really answer that for anyone else but ourselves. I know that when I think, my thoughts are in words. Such as , in planning my weekend in my mind, I am planning it out in words. Not spoken words, but just words in my mind. Now of course the words in my mind are english. I assume if you speak French, the words are French. If you are fluent in both languages then what?

I guess my question is, what if we knew no language? Obviously it would be difficult to communicate to others, but could we even communicate thoughts to ourselves? Do you follow my logic here?

How would a deaf person who never heard a spoken language and uses signs form their thoughts?

Try to plan out your day in your mind without using words.
TimM1104
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by TimM1104 »

That is very interesting, a couple of times i thought of something, yet didn't know how to explain it in words, because in a way thier were no words to describe it as i knew of.. For example in dreams the same thing exists
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Re: Thinking....

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Dawngoogs wrote:Has anyone ever gave thinking any thought?

What I mean is, how do humans think? We can't really answer that for anyone else but ourselves. I know that when I think, my thoughts are in words. Such as , in planning my weekend in my mind, I am planning it out in words. Not spoken words, but just words in my mind. Now of course the words in my mind are english. I assume if you speak French, the words are French. If you are fluent in both languages then what?

I guess my question is, what if we knew no language? Obviously it would be difficult to communicate to others, but could we even communicate thoughts to ourselves? Do you follow my logic here?

How would a deaf person who never heard a spoken language and uses signs form their thoughts?

Try to plan out your day in your mind without using words.
I tend to think in images, when a child I was fantastic with abstract subjects such as math, music and art but could not apply it to the world. Such as when I tried to understand the infinite nature of the Universe I could not grasp it nor accept it. I lived in the moment constantly skittering about everything overloading me with information, sometimes I felt like I thought more like my dog than my own parents. =(
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Inifinity isn't a real value by the way...

I think in words usually...or in visions, I visualize what I'll do sometimes
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Zenith
Established Member

Post by Zenith »

often times i find i cannot express what i am thinking. i have ideas of things, not just images (maybe a glimpse of parts), not just sounds (i can imagine a full orchestra playing and i can manipulate the melodies and themes), not just feeling (this plays a large part in my mind; the emotion), and not only touch (which i can imagine if i really concentrate), but a strange mix of the above. many times i can remember having an epiphany of realizing how something works, such as the motor in a car, or earth rotating around the sun and the moon rotating around the earth, or mathematical concepts, or patterns in thought processes. but when i realize these things, i am not thinking in words, i am imagining them actually working in my head. it makes it difficult to talk most of the time because i am always thinking in my head about things, but never using words (unless i am thinking about putting my ideas into words).
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Dawngoogs wrote:Try to plan out your day in your mind without using words.
I am and I do, I'm just not sure how to communicate that to you.
Jay_7
Established Member

Post by Jay_7 »

When i think its not actually my voice i dont know whos vocie it is. I just think words and a voice thats clear is in my head
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Zenith wrote:often times i find i cannot express what i am thinking. i have ideas of things, not just images (maybe a glimpse of parts), not just sounds (i can imagine a full orchestra playing and i can manipulate the melodies and themes), not just feeling (this plays a large part in my mind; the emotion), and not only touch (which i can imagine if i really concentrate), but a strange mix of the above. many times i can remember having an epiphany of realizing how something works, such as the motor in a car, or earth rotating around the sun and the moon rotating around the earth, or mathematical concepts, or patterns in thought processes. but when i realize these things, i am not thinking in words, i am imagining them actually working in my head. it makes it difficult to talk most of the time because i am always thinking in my head about things, but never using words (unless i am thinking about putting my ideas into words).
Cool we think alike!
Zenith
Established Member

Post by Zenith »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Zenith wrote:often times i find i cannot express what i am thinking. i have ideas of things, not just images (maybe a glimpse of parts), not just sounds (i can imagine a full orchestra playing and i can manipulate the melodies and themes), not just feeling (this plays a large part in my mind; the emotion), and not only touch (which i can imagine if i really concentrate), but a strange mix of the above. many times i can remember having an epiphany of realizing how something works, such as the motor in a car, or earth rotating around the sun and the moon rotating around the earth, or mathematical concepts, or patterns in thought processes. but when i realize these things, i am not thinking in words, i am imagining them actually working in my head. it makes it difficult to talk most of the time because i am always thinking in my head about things, but never using words (unless i am thinking about putting my ideas into words).
Cool we think alike!
:D cool, do you find it easier to put thoughts into writing than to actually speak them?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Zenith wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
Cool we think alike!
:D cool, do you find it easier to put thoughts into writing than to actually speak them?
Absolutely, I talk without even thinking, the words kind of pour out. And when I do try to think out my words, there's always like a pause. lol
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

Post by Grace isn't enough... »

Since all of us use our minds without even thinking about it before we ever were even aware we had them i think it's possible to think that our mind, on it's own, plots out the best course for communicating in order to survive(picking out which language). As far as which language goes my guess is that it's w/e first language is accessible. People are really only fluent, fluent in their first language.

So, my guess is that be it a language of words or sporadic emotion/images, i think our minds would adopt whichever comes easiest or whichever is taught to us externally via school, parents etc. I think since like i said, our brains were there before we were aware of them means that since the beggining they were mapping out ways for us to communicate both with the outside world, as we explored it, and with ourselves, as we became more aware of us. This mapping out was probably done based upon our biological, psychological, mental, and of course psyhical systems.

i dunno if that helps with n e of the ?'s i dunno it helps me sleep at night anyway... :wink:
I found that by being an annoying person you're less annoyed by people.
bluesman
Established Member

Just a computer

Post by bluesman »

I think an interesting question that gets asked when trying to proof Gods existence is :

What is the human mind?

Is just a collection of neurons? Are we just glorified walking computers?
Because we know how computers "think".

Is there the brain and the mind that are two separate things working together? Is there then a spirit or soul and what evidence is there?

Mike the Bluesman
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

I think the term "mind" is, or at least is used nowadays as, a way to describe the consciousness of our brians or our entire selves. I'm probably just full of it since like so many other times, I dont seem to mention any sort of substantional evidence other than cuz "i think" lol.

anyway, I think that along with the rest of our bodies, our universe...there's got to be evidence that we're more than just a "collection of neurons"
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Grace isn't enough... wrote: People are really only fluent, fluent in their first language.
Just wanted to repsond to the above comment (if off-topic, please forgive me). There are, of course, exceptions to the above. I happen to be much more fluent in 2 languages than my native one.
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

Studies show that after a certain age your current language basically get's chizzled in. There are always exceptions of course. I speak english since i was little and still only speak english, with the exception of a litle armenian. So, i am a poor example...im also not so great with math...

So, if you say ur fluent in 2languages other than ur native tongue then that's awesome and it's totally believeable...So what are they?