Both christians and atheists can agree on this...

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
MBPrata
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Both christians and atheists can agree on this...

Post by MBPrata »

Debates between christians and atheists are quite delicate, namely when they end up in the whole "before-the-big-bang" issue. That's where both parts become somehow fragile, since that's where our "objective" knowledge on everything that exists stops. When before the big bang, as far as we know, there could be anything, from a gigantic metaphysical world to an absolute nothing. However, I think christians and atheists can totally agree on the following:

The ultimate answer will always be "Because!"

Let me be more specific: as any living being who would seek some sort of omniscience, one would naturally ask: "Why is the universe the way it is?". One would answer: "Because the laws of physics molded the universe this way after the universe was born trillions of years ago.". Then, the being would ask: "And why was the universe born?"

This is where answers diverge between believers and non-believers. Believers could answer "God creation" and non-believers could ask "the law of spontaneous creation". If answered the latter, the being would ask: "And why is spontaneous creation a thing?". From a non-believer's perspective, the answer would be "Well...because!"
However, if answered the former answer, the being would ask: "And why did God create the universe? Answer: because He wanted to spend the eternity with some of His children. Next question: and why did God want to do that? - Well..because that was His will. - And why was that God's will? - Because God's character made Him want to do that. - And why is God's character that way? And here could come the answer: because!

Here, I would say, is where both parts are pretty helpless: we come to a scenario in which there is no reason: X happens this way just because! Reasons are over, and all we have left is reality - if we can call it reality, that is. So, I think both christians and atheist can agree on this: after we research every single reason, reasons are over and we're left with the answer "because!". Do you agree?

(and, please, don't tell me "God is His own reason.". That only sounds like an answer when you don't think about it for more than three seconds. If God's character is as eternal as He is, then He didn't chose it; He just has it. His character is how it is...because!)
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Both christians and atheists can agree on this...

Post by bippy123 »

MBPrata wrote:Debates between christians and atheists are quite delicate, namely when they end up in the whole "before-the-big-bang" issue. That's where both parts become somehow fragile, since that's where our "objective" knowledge on everything that exists stops. When before the big bang, as far as we know, there could be anything, from a gigantic metaphysical world to an absolute nothing. However, I think christians and atheists can totally agree on the following:

Let me be more specific: as any living being who would seek some sort of omniscience, one would naturally ask: "Why is the universe the way it is?". One would answer: "Because the laws of physics molded the universe this way after the universe was born trillions of years ago.". Then, the being would ask: "And why was the universe born?"

This is where answers diverge between believers and non-believers. Believers could answer "God creation" and non-believers could ask "the law of spontaneous creation". If answered the latter, the being would ask: "And why is spontaneous creation a thing?". From a non-believer's perspective, the answer would be "Well...because!"
However, if answered the former answer, the being would ask: "And why did God create the universe? Answer: because He wanted to spend the eternity with some of His children. Next question: and why did God want to do that? - Well..because that was His will. - And why was that God's will? - Because God's character made Him want to do that. - And why is God's character that way? And here could come the answer: because!

Here, I would say, is where both parts are pretty helpless: we come to a scenario in which there is no reason: X happens this way just because! Reasons are over, and all we have left is reality - if we can call it reality, that is. So, I think both christians and atheist can agree on this: after we research every single reason, reasons are over and we're left with the answer "because!". Do you agree?

(and, please, don't tell me "God is His own reason.". That only sounds like an answer when you don't think about it for more than three seconds. If God's character is as eternal as He is, then He didn't chose it; He just has it. His character is how it is...because!)
Specified complex information has never been shown to come about from anything other then a mind , and we have lots of it not only in DNA but we can also see this complexity in the fine tuning of the universe .

The question I have for you my friend is : do U need to understand God 100% in order for u to believe he exists ? If you understood him completely then he wouldn't be our definition of God . Theologians for thousands of years have been sifting through these questions but that didn't stop them from believing in God did it ?

What matters most is that he is there and he loves you. You will find out a lot more in heaven as you will spend eternity getting to know the eternal God . There will always be something knew because of the fact that he is eternal.
I have a hard time wrapping my head around that but these are just MINOR details . Yes I said it MINOR details as the major detail is that he exists and that he loves u beyond bounds .

Why not concentrate on these 2 things .
MBPrata
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by MBPrata »

Well, I never said I was here to talk about a MAJOR detail, did I? I just asked if you agreed. I'm not challenging any leap of faith (for that purpose, I have much more relevant questions), I just wanted to know if someone agreed. And...if you excuse me, "that's a minor detail" doesn't answer my question.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I agree with you. Ultimately we just have to say this is what I believe about the nature of everything. y@};-
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

MBPrata wrote:Debates between christians and atheists are quite delicate, namely when they end up in the whole "before-the-big-bang" issue. That's where both parts become somehow fragile, since that's where our "objective" knowledge on everything that exists stops. When before the big bang, as far as we know, there could be anything, from a gigantic metaphysical world to an absolute nothing. However, I think christians and atheists can totally agree on the following:

I prefer to admit I don't know; when I don't have an answer.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".