New Shroud of Turin discovery only a few days ago!

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: New Shroud of Turin discovery only a few days ago!

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Our faith is not blind like critics think.The shroud is great evidence for Jesus rising from the dead.As time goes on more will be revealed that validates our faith in Jesus Christ.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

VanessaRavencroft wrote:I don't need a shroud or any physical relic as proof GOD exists.
Look at a baby and you see GOD,
Look at a bug and you see HIM.
All science has yet to explain life, at what exact point inert matter becomes alive.
Something as simple as a cockroach, do you know what kind of computer processing power you need to make a functional robot cockroach. Something that does all the things that insect does?
If you know a little about programming and coding, you most likely agree, the program would be massive (Digital) I am talking about stimuli the roach reacts to, the functions of self preservation., procreation, nourishment gathering, leg control, etc.
Now another subject : Poop, yep you heard right. The brown stuff you leave behind after a meal.
Would you believe that it would take a chemical factory of considerable size to produce a poor analog?
How easy would recycling be , if we could build an artificial digestion system. Everything useful is broken down and the rest collected in a bio degradable mass (I am not kidding , Belgian Scientists built the first "S...t machine. A huge contraption)
Yet you eat a handful of rice and get enough energy to think, walk, move items from A to B, drive a car. learn, procreate and a myriad things,
My point is (and I am a PhD level scientist) that in all our self important know it all perception of the world, we really can't explain very much.
Ask any scientist to really explain to you such basic things as "Electricity", "Magnetism" , Molecular cohesion, Gravity or the real difference between mass and weight.
Don't stop at the standard answers. We know what electricity does, we can quantify it only if we use another very little understood aspect of the Universe: Time.
But no scientist can really tell you what it is. (If they could there be no more cables and Zero Point devices in every energy consuming machine)

No I don't need a Shroud, I don't need "splinters of the one true cross" or the bones of saints, these are crutches , man made things to ask for more offerings to built more opulent churches.
Our God is the only GOD that reaches out to us, all the others idols want you to follow them.
And even as a skeptic you can't deny that there is incredible wisdom in the words our savior spoke while he was on Earth.
They say; "Open your heart to Jesus" I say open your eyes and ears and analyze his words free of any religious doctrine and you just might become a true Christian following the one "true" Church which is described and proclaimed by Jesus.
No popes, no Theologians needed.

The way GOD reveals himself to you beyond any Earthly things and evidence, by FAITH alone.

VR
Hi Vanessa, great to have you here.
I really liked your post!
I have read the threads on here in regards to the shroud and despite my initial reservations it was compelling, but whilst it may be useful for others in their search of proof it really does not enhance my belief or strength of faith. I do understand though that for people who are seeking answers perhaps this provides some 'evidence' that leads them onto their path towards Christ.
However a person is led to Christ, it must be in the end by Faith alone that leads them to Christ.
We are not placing trust in a relic, or a divine revelation, or natural revelation by observation but trust and faith in our Saviour.
I understand your statement about opening our eyes and ears to the words of Jesus, completely outside of religious doctrine which tends to sadly deafen a person.
The Holy Spirit reveals truths within our spirit, an evidence that is not measured by earthly means, but far out ways.
Creation
Newbie Member

Post by Creation »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... -robe.html

The scientists set out to "identify the physical and chemical processes capable of generating a colour similar to that of the image on the Shroud." They concluded that the exact shade, texture and depth of the imprints on the cloth could only be produced with the aid of ultraviolet lasers – technology that was clearly not available in medieval times.

The scientists used extremely brief pulses of ultraviolet light to replicate the kind of marks found on the burial cloth.

They concluded that the iconic image of the bearded man must therefore have been created by "some form of electromagnetic energy (such as a flash of light at short wavelength)." Although they stopped short of offering a non-scientific explanation for the phenomenon, their findings will be embraced by those who believe that the marks on the shroud were miraculously created at the moment of Christ's Resurrection.... "But as scientists, we were concerned only with verifiable scientific processes. We hope our results can open up a philosophical and theological debate but we will leave the conclusions to the experts, and ultimately to the conscience of individuals."
Nonsense, are you saying that the shroud was etched with lasers, that somehow did not slice the body under it up. Just think
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Creation wrote:
StMonicaGuideMe wrote:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... -robe.html

The scientists set out to "identify the physical and chemical processes capable of generating a colour similar to that of the image on the Shroud." They concluded that the exact shade, texture and depth of the imprints on the cloth could only be produced with the aid of ultraviolet lasers – technology that was clearly not available in medieval times.

The scientists used extremely brief pulses of ultraviolet light to replicate the kind of marks found on the burial cloth.

They concluded that the iconic image of the bearded man must therefore have been created by "some form of electromagnetic energy (such as a flash of light at short wavelength)." Although they stopped short of offering a non-scientific explanation for the phenomenon, their findings will be embraced by those who believe that the marks on the shroud were miraculously created at the moment of Christ's Resurrection.... "But as scientists, we were concerned only with verifiable scientific processes. We hope our results can open up a philosophical and theological debate but we will leave the conclusions to the experts, and ultimately to the conscience of individuals."
Nonsense, are you saying that the shroud was etched with lasers, that somehow did not slice the body under it up. Just think
Hi Creation, if you go back over the article again you will find that is not what it says. It says the only way modern scientists can reproduce the cloth is to use lasers. They concluded that at the instant of the resurrection there was a flash of electromagnetic radiation that formed the image on the cloth.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.