Alien Life On Other Planets

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.

If Alien Life Is Ever Found On One Planet Or Many, Does This Disprove All Of What We Have Believed About God/Intelligent Design?

Yes
No votes
Not Sure
No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 10

Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Alien Life On Other Planets

Post by Believer »

If alien life is ever found on one planet or many, whether it being intelligent/advanced life and/or simplistic like bacteria and the like, how would it impact your belief on The Bible/Christianity, Faith, Spirituality, and God?
Last edited by Believer on Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

I don't think they will ever find the Life you are saying but it would not change my Faith one bit. :)
roysr
Familiar Member

Post by roysr »

It wouldn't change my faith but I bet atheists would "try" to use it as evidence against God's existence.
BavarianWheels
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Alien Life On Other Planets

Post by BavarianWheels »

Thinker wrote:If alien life is found on other planets or just one, whether it being intelligent or just bacteria or the like, how would it impact your views on The Bible/Christianity, Faith, Spirituality, and God?
That would be awesome! Just think...not only did life come by chance here on Earth...but somewhere else too???? And to think...the chances that Scientists give this happening once are/is astronomical...now think of it happening twice! In short proximity (relative to the universe's size)!!

Unfathomable!!!
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

One thing many people seem to overlook is that science is a cooperative effort to collect knowledge. It is not written in stone. Take for instance the origin of life, science is nowhere close to solving this problem. At this point there is a huge huge gap between replicating nucleic acids and simple simple life. So to say that the discovery of life nearby refutes science is flawed. It is only more observations, which will in turn lead to updated theories.

Also consider a multistate lottery. The chances of someone getting the winning numbers is small, yet everyday someone wins. Also the chances of there being two winners in the same city are even smaller, yet it has happened.

Take another example gather around 30 people in a room. The chances that someone has the same birthday as you are slim, but the chances are that there are two people who share the same birthday.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

BavarianWheels wrote:
Thinker wrote:If alien life is found on other planets or just one, whether it being intelligent or just bacteria or the like, how would it impact your views on The Bible/Christianity, Faith, Spirituality, and God?
That would be awesome! Just think...not only did life come by chance here on Earth...but somewhere else too???? And to think...the chances that Scientists give this happening once are/is astronomical...now think of it happening twice! In short proximity (relative to the universe's size)!!

Unfathomable!!!
Being sarcastic??? :lol:
Last edited by Believer on Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Thinker wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:

Unfathomable!!!
Being sacastic??? :lol:
I see =)
:D
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Thinker wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:

Unfathomable!!!
Not a bit.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

BavarianWheels wrote:
Thinker wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:

Unfathomable!!!
Not a bit.
Explain how you aren't being sarcastic as what you said doesn't even really answer my initial question or make sense. You are saying we are here by chance and then other lifeforms are by chance on other planets as well?
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

In short...Life here on Earth. Life on another planet...life burst spontaneously twice in short proximity. What are the chances of that? Scientifically speaking...I don't know how else to make it more plain.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

I personally think BW is making a valid point, that is, if one is to assume the 'Naturalist' perspective and says life arose separately more than once. I also find it significant that most have answered it would have no impact on their God beliefs, which seems to run against what Atheists and co. seem to think.

Kurieuo.
Last edited by Kurieuo on Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

Kurieuo wrote:I personally think BW is making a valid point, that is, if one is to assume the 'Naturalist' perspective and says life arose separately more than once.

Kurieuo.
Wow...my first valid point in three or four years! :wink: