Lord...why so serious?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Lord...why so serious?

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

For the same reason some religious people believe in something contradictory; they simply believe it. The have faith, so to speak. Their mind/soul/whatever tells them "yeah, this makes sense for me, so I believe in this despite its contradictions!". Also, to a certain extent, eveything is contradictory. In so being, can we blame anyone for believing OR not believing in something contradictory?
Of that I am not sure, all I know is that God is merciful and just, that decision is in God's hands and not mine and I will leave that judgement up to him. All I can do is spread the good news, whether you accept or reject it is not my concern and what the exact consequences of that are not my concern either. I personally believe that God will take everyone that wants to be with him, no exceptions, how that exactly happens I am not sure of. My interpretation of certain passages may differ greatly to many here, but that is ok. :)
And there are also some really strong evidence against its authenticity. It has always been thus. I think the world sort of works like the third Newton law: for every evidence for something, there is evidence against that something. I think, at least...
Absolutely and that is why trust (faith) in God is a requirement to belief. There is plenty of uncertainty in life and I think it was made like that on purpose, God's wants us to trust in him fully, if everything was certain there would be no need for faith (well at least I think so). So either you trust God or you don't, simple as that, but first to trust God you must humble yourself and admit that you cannot possibly do it on your own.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MBPrata
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by MBPrata »

Care to back that up by showing the evidence?
Which part? The evidence against the Bible or the for-every-evidence-for-something-there-is-evidence against it thing?

Just in case you meant the latter...well, the list is quite endless, but let's try to scratch the surface, with no particular order:
- Existence itself. I know nothing more contradictory than that
- Every rule has an exception, which means there is a rule with no exception
- The fact that something exists sort of implies an infinite surrounding where nothing exists
- The universe seems to have been designed, but randomness also seems to operate in the universe
- Alien life seems nearly impossible, but some serious scientists talk about a 1/5 chance of finding life in earth-like planets
- The Earth seems life-friendly, but some scientists claim that dark energy can split every atom in the universe at any time (as in...it could have happened before life emerged in the Earth)
- Chimpanzees have no soul, but some of them are more intelligent (and possibly concious) than some humans
- Occam's razor points to an intelligence behind our universe, but it also points to no intelligence behind our universe
- God is said to live in a dimension aside from time, but by creating something, He probably starts experiencing time by distinguishing the time before He created it and the time before He created

And there are many more. It feels funny just to think about them...contradictions are so weird. When I find one, I feel like I can't really believe in anything...ow, my head! y#-o
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

MBPrata wrote:
Care to back that up by showing the evidence?
Which part? The evidence against the Bible or the for-every-evidence-for-something-there-is-evidence against it thing?

Just in case you meant the latter...well, the list is quite endless, but let's try to scratch the surface, with no particular order:
- Existence itself. I know nothing more contradictory than that
- Every rule has an exception, which means there is a rule with no exception
- The fact that something exists sort of implies an infinite surrounding where nothing exists
- The universe seems to have been designed, but randomness also seems to operate in the universe
- Alien life seems nearly impossible, but some serious scientists talk about a 1/5 chance of finding life in earth-like planets
- The Earth seems life-friendly, but some scientists claim that dark energy can split every atom in the universe at any time (as in...it could have happened before life emerged in the Earth)
- Chimpanzees have no soul, but some of them are more intelligent (and possibly concious) than some humans
- Occam's razor points to an intelligence behind our universe, but it also points to no intelligence behind our universe
- God is said to live in a dimension aside from time, but by creating something, He probably starts experiencing time by distinguishing the time before He created it and the time before He created

And there are many more. It feels funny just to think about them...contradictions are so weird. When I find one, I feel like I can't really believe in anything...ow, my head! y#-o
Sorry, I meant this:
MB wrote:
And there are also some really strong evidence against its(bible)authenticity.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony