Bio Logos Interviews Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Bio Logos Interviews Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Post by PaulSacramento »

Morny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Imagine a theologian going around trying to refute physics...
PaulSacramento wrote:Sure there is the occasional silly twit scholar that, feeling his faith is some sort of danger because of how HE decides to interpret a passage or two AND because some atheist numbnut decides to say that some scientific principle that has nothing to do with theology somehow ( in his little mind) disproves God, decides to disprove science BUT no one really takes him seriously lets be honest, most of those guys are viewed as a joke by the mainstream because very few people view scholars as people with expert opinions OUTSIDE their field BUT scientist, unfortunately, tend to viewed as experts even outside their field and that is simply wrong.
We agree that the "atheist numbnut" and "silly twit scholar" are a problem for the reasons you give.

More troubling though is the significant percentage of the population, who dismiss basic scientific findings with little or no understanding of, or curiosity about, the scientific reasoning behind those findings.
Indeed, BUT fear can cause people to do many silly things and for some people, the fear that their understanding of the bible is wrong is a very potent force, for some IF they are wrong about A or B then what else are they wrong about?
This of course applies only to those that put their faith on THEIR interpretation of the bible as being THIS way and no possibility of it being any other way.
Morny
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Morny »

PaulSacramento wrote:Indeed, BUT fear can cause people to do many silly things and for some people, the fear that their understanding of the bible is wrong is a very potent force, for some IF they are wrong about A or B then what else are they wrong about?
This of course applies only to those that put their faith on THEIR interpretation of the bible as being THIS way and no possibility of it being any other way.
As far as I can see on this forum, only Audie does not seem to fall into either of the categories that you and I describe. Basic science includes cosmology, evolution, CFCs destroy the ozone layer, human-caused climate change, HPV causes cervical cancer, vaccines do not cause autism, and numerous other "controversial" topics.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Morny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Indeed, BUT fear can cause people to do many silly things and for some people, the fear that their understanding of the bible is wrong is a very potent force, for some IF they are wrong about A or B then what else are they wrong about?
As far as I can see on this forum, only Audie does not seem to fall into either of the categories that you and I describe. Basic science includes cosmology, evolution, CFCs destroy the ozone layer, human-caused climate change, HPV causes cervical cancer, vaccines do not cause autism, and numerous other "controversial" topics.
There seems to be some informal fallacy here. Anyone care to point it out? ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Morny
Valued Member

Post by Morny »

Kurieuo wrote:There seems to be some informal fallacy here. Anyone care to point it out? ;)
Certainly possible, I make lots of mistakes. Not sure which fallacy though. I'm looking forward to being corrected. How else am I going to learn?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Morny wrote:
Audie has her own beliefs about the bible and science and, especially about the bible, they are at times grossly misinformed if I recall correctly.
As for what Basic science is, I am sure everyone has an opinion on that too.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Morny wrote:
Audie has her own beliefs about the bible and science and, especially about the bible, they are at times grossly misinformed if I recall correctly.
As for what Basic science is, I am sure everyone has an opinion on that too.

Care to recall an example for me, or is this all going to be in the third person?
Morny
Valued Member

Post by Morny »

PaulSacramento wrote:As for what Basic science is, I am sure everyone has an opinion on that too.
Perhaps you're hung up on my use of the word basic? OK. In any event, evidence-based theories, not opinion, decide what is well-established science, e.g., what is in high school science textbooks. And if you disagree with with any of the items in my list, you disagree with almost all scientists' judgment as to how well the evidence supports the scientific theory.

But despite all that, my main worry is still the significant percentage of the population, who dismiss well-established scientific findings with little or no understanding of, or curiosity about, the scientific reasoning behind those findings.

For example, who here understands, or cares about, the scientific support for common descent from the evidence of biological traits forming a nested hierarchy? Maybe every reader who agrees didn't bother to post? All I know is that those who did question that evidence in another thread, either didn't respond to my follow-up explanations, ... or didn't (better yet) look up the scientific evidence/argument themselves before posting that they now better understood common descent.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Morny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:As for what Basic science is, I am sure everyone has an opinion on that too.
Perhaps you're hung up on my use of the word basic? OK. In any event, evidence-based theories, not opinion, decide what is well-established science, e.g., what is in high school science textbooks. And if you disagree with with any of the items in my list, you disagree with almost all scientists' judgment as to how well the evidence supports the scientific theory.

But despite all that, my main worry is still the significant percentage of the population, who dismiss well-established scientific findings with little or no understanding of, or curiosity about, the scientific reasoning behind those findings.

For example, who here understands, or cares about, the scientific support for common descent from the evidence of biological traits forming a nested hierarchy? Maybe every reader who agrees didn't bother to post? All I know is that those who did question that evidence in another thread, either didn't respond to my follow-up explanations, ... or didn't (better yet) look up the scientific evidence/argument themselves before posting that they now better understood common descent.
Its rare to find anyone well informed about geology / evolution.
Much rarer still, to find someone who is, but does not accept deep time
and evolution as valid.
Among those few, there may be one or more whose objections are not
entirely religious.

But not a one among any of them can bring forth any actual data to show that
ToE is false.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie, I think you'll enjoy this.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
Morny wrote:

Its rare to find anyone well informed about geology / evolution.
Much rarer still, to find someone who is, but does not accept deep time
and evolution as valid.
Among those few, there may be one or more whose objections are not
entirely religious.

But not a one among any of them can bring forth any actual data to show that
ToE is false.
It is because ToE is never actually defined in any fixed sense, that there is such confusion.
To just say ToE and leave it at that without the details is just so impractical and unfruitful to any discussion re: such.

For example, if by ToE you mean Naturalistic evolution for the life that we see, then that to me is so greatly improbable that it is realistically impossible.
If, on the other hand you are simply talking a natural evolution of life's diversity then now you have a greater probability of such having some legs since such doesn't exclude God's orchestration.
And if you don't see a difference between "Naturalistic evolution" and "natural evolution" then you're as guilty as any creationist who mixes in their personal philosophical beliefs on the world with science.

For example, the enormous amount of symbiotic relationship and even biological features, organs, on the cellular level and the like.
The fact we see many similar biological systems, but different... one my wife was talking about this morning to me, mothers lactating milk whether humans, cows, cats or dogs are all systems very similar in purpose and function, and yet these systems are otherwise quite different and unique to each. Or the ecosystem and dependencies of creatures upon each other, some for which it is a mutual symbiotic matter of life or death if they did not exist at the same time.
Then we have these biological systems, organs and the like which we are to just accept independently evolved numerous times over aka convergent evolution.

All this is suggestive of "life" being designed to work together.
Like a "fine-tuning" argument for all biological life... many, many examples can be thought of which show purposeful design.
Therefore, if in one's ToE they mean a Naturalistic accounting of life's diversity, I laugh. They're like YECs to me. So improbable that they're crazy.
I ought to write off anything further such a person says. Basically talking "magic" -- like a fairy tale where the princess kisses a frog. What point is there talking to such a person who'd actually believe such? Thankfully, noone believes this fairy tale to be true, at least I'd hope so.

BUT, if by ToE one only intends a natural evolving of life, then while improbable to me (anything evolving is highly improbable right?), anything is possible with God.

The moment one conflates Naturalism with their science, is the moment they're just telling their own story of how they are really espousing their own view of a godless world.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Morny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:There seems to be some informal fallacy here. Anyone care to point it out? ;)
Certainly possible, I make lots of mistakes. Not sure which fallacy though. I'm looking forward to being corrected. How else am I going to learn?
Sorry, if that came across personal.

I'm sure you're sincere in what you view "basic science" as including.
I think you have since realised that this was perhaps not the best term, since qualified yourself further.
There is some sort of appeal in your use of "basic science", such that if anyone disagreed with you then you such is incredulous because it's well, basic and obvious in science.

Further, you appear to be conflating your own end positions on the actual scientific data perhaps as "basic science" -- science cannot draw such conclusions itself, but people do.
Science more or less supports a hypothesis or theory -- I'll appeal to Audie's statements somewhere on these boards that science deals with data.

While I don't disagree with some things you'd believe, many of the issues are for more complicated than to give a such a full sweeping statement.
Such that there is a composition fallacy of sorts where you are oversimplifying matters across various issues, assuming something is true as a whole without discussing the details.

For example, some vaccines may be more/less beneficial than others. Just because something is called a "vaccine" doesn't mean each one shouldn't be independently scrutinized. Right?
And I'm generally for vaccines, but I don't want people to check in their minds to just accept whatever someone else says. We should know what's going into our bodies and each vaccine is different.
Also, there are deaths, while minimal by comparison to generally not being vaccinated. Why does this happen? Sometimes it is human error (oops, that wasn't a vaccine as sadly happened in Syria not that long ago). Other times, there is perhaps some allergy which 99.99% of people may not have... but to say vaccines are entirely 100% safe -- well that isn't science but a dogmatic assertion.
As for me, my four kids have all been vaccinated with what the government has recommended. But to be honest, I've placed a lot of trust in such recommendations.

In any case, it just seemed you were being a bit grandeur in claiming some of the things you did as science, even "basic science".
Such that it really amounts to a statement of your own views, "Morny believes...." which doesn't really have much bearing on science at all.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:Audie, I think you'll enjoy this.

Not really. Why would you think I'd enjoy observing someone displaying their ignorance and stupidity?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:

Not really. Why would you think I'd enjoy observing someone displaying their ignorance and stupidity?
:lol: I saw that coming.
You have such a way with words Audie.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:

Why not? We enjoy observing you here. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:

:lol: I saw that coming.
You have such a way with words Audie.
Saw what coming, a dopey creosite being full of xxxx,? Being offered to support some nonsensical position? We just saw the same thing in another thread, a creosite cited as a source for the
brainless claim that abio is integral to evolution.