What proofs do you have that God exists?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Deborah
Christian: No

Post by Deborah »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:But you miss the point, Jesus doesn't want you to waste your time arguing the finer points, you win peoples hearts through living as Jesus would have, live by example.

You are so right.
We are instructed to follow the example set by Jesus Christ.
We are not required to defend god, he doesn't need defending.
As Christians when we ridicule our nieghbour, we are worse than the nieghbour in the eyes of god, because we should know better.
Being devoted to the LORD god, does not include pulling the spiritual beliefs of others to peaces. God does not require us to speak for him, Jesus already did that. It is by grace we are saved, not works.
We need to live by example and live by the example set by Jesus Christ.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

He would have to use some shoddy workmanship to attack the Bible...the standards people put on the Bible to invalidate it wipe out all of known history before getting near to the Bible. And I don't see why a muslim would attack the Bible...they claim to believe in it (though the verses must be edited I guess...like they had to change who actually has the rights to Israel by changing names in the OT, and removing most of what Jesus says, because He's always talking about how He's God and all that jazz.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

We are not required to defend god, he doesn't need defending.
I would argue that point a bit. We are instructed to defend our faith.

1 Peter 3:15 (KJV)
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

You are right about the way in which we should do it though, although we cannot passively make disciples either. We should live a godly life so as to have the credibility to engage with non-believers so that we can fulfill the great commission:

Matthew 28:19-20 (NIV)
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, [20] and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
d00d
Newbie Member

Post by d00d »

Ok, I have an aptitude to ask some weird but arguable questions :P let me put the question this way: how does one meet God, so he can be absolutely sure about God and the rest? better yet, how does one meet God? my Christian friend said that he started making small "tests" (i know the Bible says that you shall not test/tempt God [sorry for the translation, english is not my natural language], I believe he didnt ment to say that kind of tests... ) and the tests were actually successful and so on; he described the process as a path instead of something with an end...

I got my ideas straightened out, just need the 'final approval' or the jumpstart or whatsoever... I mean, i suppose if God is all that Christian people say, I want some of that, too 8)
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

John 8:20
"You do not know me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew me, you would know my Father also." He spoke these words while teaching in the temple area near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his time had not yet come."

John 14:9
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

A good way to start to know God is simply to read the Gospels of the New Testament. Read about the historical Jesus of the Bible, what He is like.
Come to know Jesus, and you will come to know God.
j316
Established Member

Post by j316 »

Judah wrote:John 8:20
"You do not know me or my Father," Jesus replied. "If you knew me, you would know my Father also." He spoke these words while teaching in the temple area near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his time had not yet come."

John 14:9
Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

A good way to start to know God is simply to read the Gospels of the New Testament. Read about the historical Jesus of the Bible, what He is like.
Come to know Jesus, and you will come to know God.
I think it is fully possible to meet God, but to do so you will have to surrender most of your present identity and preconceptions. I feel that God does meet us, more often than you would probably think, in order to start that process. I have personally experienced Jesus and I have no doubt at all that He is real. I was an uncommitted christian prior to that experience but it certainly changed my heart, mostly because the only explanation for it is supernatural.
sweden78
Acquainted Member

Post by sweden78 »

noone have come up with anything that holds as proof for any supernaturalpower whatsoever. if it had it´d be on the news all over the globe..
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

noone have come up with anything that holds as proof for any supernaturalpower whatsoever. if it had it´d be on the news all over the globe..
What would constitute proof of the supernatural to you? How do you know no-one has come up with any proof, have you spoken to everyone, ever?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

sweden78 wrote:noone have come up with anything that holds as proof for any supernaturalpower whatsoever. if it had it´d be on the news all over the globe..
This is not true. If something unexplainable were to occur many would be quick to dismiss it. This is because people are afraid of being duped or proven wrong. Skepticism abouts in a new world where science has found explanations for things which once held an aura of mistique and wonder. So if something truly supernatural were to occur it would never be in the serious news broadcast worldwide unless it is something so outrageous as to leave us dumbfounded.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
PHIL121
Recognized Member

Post by PHIL121 »

While there is a good bit of scientific proof for the existence of God (after all, that's what Apologetics is all about); nothing can replace what is provided through Faith.

And BGoodForGoodSake is right when they say if concrete scientific proof existed, it would, in fact be refuted.

We live in a sinful world.
Veronica
Recognized Member

Re: What proofs do you have that God exists?

Post by Veronica »

d00d wrote:If you were to convince a friend that God exists, what would you tell him? I mean, not the "life is beautifull" thing but more like an experience or something very "un.doubtfull" or very physical, something you cannot doubt.
"Can You Prove God Exists?

Before we answer this question, we must distinguish five questions that are often confused.

* First, there is the question of whether something exists or not. A thing can exist whether we know it or not.
* Second, there is the question of whether we know it exists. (To answer this question affirmatively is to presuppose that the first question is answered affirmatively, of course; though a thing can exist without our knowing it, we cannot know it exists unless it exists.)
* Third, there is the question of whether we have a reason for our knowledge. We can know some things without being able to lead others to that knowledge by reasons. Many Christians think God's existence is like that.
* Fourth, there is the question of whether this reason, if it exists, amounts to a proof. Most reasons do not. Most of the reasons we give for what we believe amount to probabilities, not proofs. For instance, the building you sit in may collapse in one minute, but the reliability of the contractor and the construction materials is a good reason for thinking that very improbable.
* Fifth, if there is a proof, is it a scientific proof, a proof by the scientific method, i.e., by experiment, observation, and measurement? Philosophical proofs can be good proofs, but they do not have to be scientific proofs.

I believe we can answer yes to the first four of these questions about the existence of God but not to the fifth. God exists, we can know that, we can give reasons, and those reasons amount to proof, but not scientific proof, except in an unusually broad sense.

There are many arguments for God's existence, but most of them have the same logical structure, which is the basic structure of any deductive argument. First, there is a major premise, or general principle. Then, a minor premise states some particular data in our experience that come under that principle. Finally, the conclusion follows from applying the general principle to the particular case.

In each case the conclusion is that God exists, but the premises of the different arguments are different. The arguments are like roads, from different starting points, all aiming at the same goal of God." by Peter Kreeft
(http://peterkreeft.com/topics/gods-existence.htm)

Peter Kreeft has several arguments for the existence of God. They are short and readable, and I recommend them to everyone. :)

http://peterkreeft.com/featured-writing.htm

Blessings and Prayers,
Veronica
aray79
Newbie Member

Is God Real? Does God Exist?

Post by aray79 »

Is God Real? Does God Exist?

If you truly want proof of God, you'll find your way here. When life gets really hard and you find yourself saying, help me God, you want to have confidence that He's listening.

http://www.myproofofgod.com/