Did Science Kill God?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Katabole
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Did Science Kill God?

Post by Katabole »

This is Professor John Lennox's lecture from UCLA recorded yesterday, February 26, 2015. Enjoy.

Did Science Kill God?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbt2VTcZPI
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Re: Did Science Kill God?

Post by B. W. »

Katabole wrote:This is Professor John Lennox's lecture from UCLA recorded yesterday, February 26, 2015. Enjoy.

Did Science Kill God?

I do not have time to watch a 1 hour 29 minute video on this topic but is this the Guy who mentions the existence of atoms that just randomly collide and caused creation of the universe to spontaneously combust thus saying that this proves science kills God?

If so, where did these atoms come from?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:
Katabole wrote:This is Professor John Lennox's lecture from UCLA recorded yesterday, February 26, 2015. Enjoy.

Did Science Kill God?

I do not have time to watch a 1 hour 29 minute video on this topic but is this the Guy who mentions the existence of atoms that just randomly collide and caused creation of the universe to spontaneously combust thus saying that this proves science kills God?

-
-
-
I doubt it B. W. Lennox is a Christian apologist. I didn't watch the video, but I bet Lennox shows that science didn't kill God.

1:29 videos and bronchitis...ain't nobody got time for that.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

B. W. wrote:I do not have time to watch a 1 hour 29 minute video on this topic but is this the Guy who mentions the existence of atoms that just randomly collide and caused creation of the universe to spontaneously combust thus saying that this proves science kills God?

Professor Lennox is a triple doctorate (MA, PhD, DPhil, DSc) from Oxford and Cambridge universities. He can speak five languages, has written a number of books on the relationship between science, religion, Christianity and atheism, has debated most of the world's most famous atheists (including Dawkins 4 times) and has spent 50 years of his life studying the effects of systematic atheism on human populations. My favorite book of his is, 'Gunning for God: Why the New Atheists Are Missing the Target' in which in the first part of the book he uses the words of the new atheists against them to show that atheism is a delusion and in the latter part of the book he uses the evidence of history to prove Christianity true. It should be a must read for everyone on this forum.

I put the video up for believers and non-believers on the forum if they wanted to watch a video of a really intelligent and humble Christian man who is acutely familiar with the arguments of atheists, knows his science and knows the God of the Bible.

Maybe this vid would be more educational:

God, Science and the Big Questions: Leading Christian Thinkers Respond to the New Atheism

John Lennox, William Lane Craig, JP Moreland, and Hugh Hewitt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUeR4j7mAH8
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

I will watch those when I have more time.

And will definitely get that book.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Love Lennox, might have to reserve some time next weekend to watch it.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

B.W - Lennox is one of the leading apologists of the modern age. Well worth a listen. A brilliant guy.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Katabole,

Thanks so much for the video. How truly refreshing to gain perspective from someone who is not only preeminently qualified on the topic, but on so many topics so universally tied to it. Really learned quite a lot in a very short time. I came to this site a few years ago after typing in browser "God and science", because I was having a, or part of a conversation that said God is not only no longer required because science has proven it but the scientists history themselves prove there is no reason for God.

Kind of funny the way it has gone full circle for me with this site. I knew the assumptions they were making of Galileo were in correct, but never knew so many of the originators of scientifically explaining the workings of the universe were Christian. This video gave a wonderful detailing of how the Christian based scientist were chasing after the how's of God's works without ever needing (in their evidences of the how's) the why's...

Lennox has brilliantly shown the difference and most importantly the reason for the difference of how and why in this lecture. Thanks again.

Best line: science doesn't kill God, it kills atheism by it's own hands. remarkable ! :clap:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Cheers for the link, it's an interesting talk. Surprised i made it all the way through.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

Just wanted to point out that professor john Lennox is an inclusivist :mrgreen:
A little tidbit I thought id throw out :)