Where did our Big Bang come from?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Where did our Big Bang come from?

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:Does a photon bouncing off something acquire specific coded information?
Audie, to help you answer your own question here...
For a primer on CSI can I recommend the following two links to you:
I'd be interested to hear your own thoughts on why a photon bouncing off something is/isn't CSI?

Im more interested to see if anyone who believes in CSI
knows what it is they believe in.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:Does a photon bouncing off something acquire specific coded information?
I'd be interested to hear your own thoughts on why a photon bouncing off something is/isn't CSI?
Well if anyone doesn't know, and they want to know, then they can read those two links.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Well if anyone doesn't know, and they want to know, then they can read those two links.
Do you think you can speak about it w/o reference to source material ?

Dueling websites is a low form of discussion.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

What feature of photons bouncing are specified?
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:What feature of photons bouncing are specified?
Answering a q widda q isnt much of a discussion either.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
It seems to me that you're just plain avoiding now because you don't understand CSI.
You refuse to even budge one step in trying to understand, at least that is how it feels to me.

To answer your question, I need more details to know whether there is anything significant to the behaviour of photons bouncing.
A lesser question is whether there is any inherent "information content" to a photon bouncing?

Your question in order to be valid assumes that there is information to do with photons bouncing.
For example, it doesn't make sense to as what the colour of something is (e.g., morality) if such has no colour.
If I don't understand what morality is, then I might ask whether it has the property of a colour? What is wrong with that.

I really don't know whether "photons bouncing" have information content, so I seek further details from you.
What you're asking is like whether "this book" has CSI? Without knowing more details for all I know the book contains blank pages.
So the question can't be answered. Stop trying to be smart if you really want your question answered.
I need to know what information you are seeing in photons bouncing that makes your question valid?
I plead ignorance to the behaviour of photons.

For example, there is information to digital stuff in the form of binary.
There is information content on this board in the form of written language, structured ABCs and the like.
There is information content even in the form of shapes and structures.
There is information content in DNA in the form of chemical bases.

If there is no information content to a photon's bouncing, then it can't be specified.
On the other hand if it exhibits information, then it needs to be determined what form and then whether it is specified can be entertained.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Gnite k. Dont assume I dont know what "csi" is!

Gotta go..
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by bippy123 »

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Audi, explaining csi thoroughly isn't possible in one or a few posts, but since you say you understand it the allow me to give u a very basic example. It is in fact the example that hit me like a ton of bricks when I was still an evolutionist.

Stephen meyer gave the example of magnetic letters on a fridge wall, but lets start with a simple message on the beach.

The message says ""Steve loves Sandi , but wishes sandi loved Steve back""

Simple right ?

Lets say you discovered this message drawn in the sand . Would u say that a mind was responsible for this specifically willed message or would you conclude that this message was forked in some way by the waves crashing in the sand a few hundred thousand times of even a million times ?

Of course u would conclude that the message was formed by a mind of some sort.

This is a very bareboned example of specified complex information.
There is same involved, there are holes in the sand involved to create the message , but the message is. Ore then just the holes in the Sand and the Sand itself.

This video below explains it even better ,especially with the specified complex info within DNA and how the specified complex info within it is on a magnitude many times more then my sand example because the nucleotide bases and their attachement points aren't dependent on Chemical affinity for ten ur arrangements . In fact they all possess the same chemical properties at the attachment point. This tells us that the csi within that spot within the DNA molecule is coming from outside DNA itself.

Pay special attention to minutes 3 through 6
http://youtu.be/yLeWh8Df3k8

It's a very powerful argument . It is in fact the argument that changed the mind of one of the top if not THE TOP atheist philosophers of the last half of the 20th century doctor Antony flew which caused him to change his mind in believing that there had to be a creator . He acknowledge the fine tuning argument for the universe was strong, but it paled in comparison to the , as he called it "the integrated complexity of life . It wasn't any religious book that changed Doctor Flew's mind , it was DNA itself . Flew's philosophical papers are still required readers in specific (get it :mrgreen: ok ok I'm a dork so sue me ) advanved philosophy courses .

http://youtu.be/SNkxpTIbCIw

When foew announced that he believed in a creator in 2004 it sent which waves into the secular realm.

But like I said I and stephen meyer gave a very bare one definition of csi.
If you need to look at it in a deeper sense I would recommend perry Marshall's website cosmic finger prints .

Perry doesn't really specify if this intelligent designer used evolution of intelligent design to accomplish this but shows that this type of information couldn't have come through purely materialistic means . So perry is ok with either ID or evolution .
http://cosmicfingerprints.com
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:
It seems to me that you're just plain avoiding now because you don't understand CSI.
You refuse to even budge one step in trying to understand, at least that is how it feels to me.

To answer your question, I need more details to know whether there is anything significant to the behaviour of photons bouncing.
A lesser question is whether there is any inherent "information content" to a photon bouncing?

Your question in order to be valid assumes that there is information to do with photons bouncing.
For example, it doesn't make sense to as what the colour of something is (e.g., morality) if such has no colour.
If I don't understand what morality is, then I might ask whether it has the property of a colour? What is wrong with that.

I really don't know whether "photons bouncing" have information content, so I seek further details from you.
What you're asking is like whether "this book" has CSI? Without knowing more details for all I know the book contains blank pages.
So the question can't be answered. Stop trying to be smart if you really want your question answered.
I need to know what information you are seeing in photons bouncing that makes your question valid?

There is information content on this board in the form of written language, structured ABCs and the like.

If there is no information content to a photon's bouncing, then it can't be specified.
On the other hand if it exhibits information, then it needs to be determined what form and then whether it is specified can be entertained.
Seems to me you just answered a q with a q, and then made that my fault somehow.

It seems to me you dont know much about "information" specified or otherwise if you cant see whether a photon is coded with information when it bounces off something.

The photon question is extremely simple and straightforward. No in depth knowledge of photons required, at all. It was offered as an opportunity to think about what might be meant by coding, and information. Its a valid question regardless of what conditions you wish to try to impose on it.

Photons visiting your eye from the computer screen are coded with info about what is on the screen. Photons from distant galaxies tell us how fast they are moving away, among other things.

If you are familiar with CSI you might be able to say if that is "specified" if so why, if not why not.

If by "quit trying to be smart" you mean intelligent, no deal; if you mean like, quit being a smarty pants, that is a deep cheap shot, unworthy of you, and has no value other than to try to degrade me. Please specify your intent, clearly, for all.
Last edited by Audie on Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

bippy123 wrote:
Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Audi, explaining csi thoroughly isn't possible in one or a few posts, but since you say you understand it the allow me to give u a very basic example. It is in fact the example that hit me like a ton of bricks when I was still an evolutionist.

Stephen meyer gave the example of magnetic letters on a fridge wall, but lets start with a simple message on the beach.

Simple right ?

Lets say you discovered this message drawn in the sand . Would u say that a mind was responsible for this specifically willed message or would you conclude that this message was forked in some way by the waves crashing in the sand a few hundred thousand times of even a million times ?

There is same involved, there are holes in the sand involved to create the message , but the message is. Ore then just the holes in the Sand and the Sand itself.

This video below explains it even better ,especially with the specified complex info within DNA and how the specified complex info within it is on a magnitude many times more then my sand example because the nucleotide bases and their attachement points aren't dependent on Chemical affinity for ten ur arrangements . In fact they all possess the same chemical properties at the attachment point. This tells us that the csi within that spot within the DNA molecule is coming from outside DNA itself.

It's a very powerful argument . It is in fact the argument that changed the mind of one of the top if not THE TOP atheist philosophers of the last half of the 20th century doctor Antony flew which caused him to change his mind in believing that there had to be a creator . He acknowledge the fine tuning argument for the universe was strong, but it paled in comparison to the , as he called it "the integrated complexity of life . It wasn't any religious book that changed Doctor Flew's mind , it was DNA itself . Flew's philosophical papers are still required readers in specific (get it :mrgreen: ok ok I'm a dork so sue me ) advanved philosophy courses .

When foew announced that he believed in a creator in 2004 it sent which waves into the secular realm.

If you need to look at it in a deeper sense I would recommend perry Marshall's website cosmic finger prints .

Perry doesn't really specify if this intelligent designer used evolution of intelligent design to accomplish this but shows that this type of information couldn't have come through purely materialistic means . So perry is ok with either ID or evolution .

First let me say as I said to another, that testimonials are of no interest to me and are without evidentiary value. The son of a bible scholar who went off the reservation for a while, and then returned, for whatever reason, is of no interest to me here.

Nor is reference to links, I can find my own. I'd like to see how those who believe in CSI can defend it. I dont need to post links to understand how evolution works, or explain aspects to anyone with the capacity to listen.

The thing about letters on reefer or sand is an analogy, which, if valid, is of course utterly convincing.

But is it valid?

Is this not "irreducible complexity" presented in different terms.?

Perhaps you'd like to say if you think photons are coming to you coded with information, complex, specified, or otherwise. If not why not, if so why so. And how they get coded, if they are? How do you get info from them, if they are not?
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

Audie wrote:
bippy123 wrote:
Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:

Simple right ?

First let me say as I said to another, that testimonials are of no interest to me and are without evidentiary value. The son of a bible scholar who went off the reservation for a while, and then returned, for whatever reason, is of no interest to me here.

Nor is reference to links, I can find my own. I'd like to see how those who believe in CSI can defend it. I dont need to post links to understand how evolution works, or explain aspects to anyone with the capacity to listen.

The thing about letters on reefer or sand is an analogy, which, if valid, is of course utterly convincing.

But is it valid?

Is this not "irreducible complexity" presented in different terms.?

Perhaps you'd like to say if you think photons are coming to you coded with information, complex, specified, or otherwise. If not why not, if so why so. And how they get coded, if they are? How do you get info from them, if they are not?
Nope it's not irreducible complexity . I'm not a huge pusher if irreducible complexity simply because I don't know it too well and it was never the theory that pushed me away from evolution. It was CSI and Macroevolution that did it but specifically CSI.

But to call Antony flew merely the son of a bible scholar doesn't paint the full picture of him. He was the top atheist philosopher of the last half of the twentieth century and when he converted away from atheism he was fully mentally aware of his decision.

Perry marshal is an engineer and it will be engineers that will be able to decipher the CSI within life simply because they are used to spotting it in other areas.

Audie it's not just the specified arrangement of the base letters within DNA that convinced me but it was the fact the arrangement if those base letters can't be explained by any known evolutionary mechanism. You can't use chemistry to explain them as they are chemically Indeterminant , and blind chance can't be used as well.
Like I said I used the beach analogy and meyer used the fridge magnetic letters in his video as an analogy but they are extremely simple co pared to the enormous complexity involved .

Perry marshall does a fantastic job explaining what biologists already know , namely that DNA encodes and decodes this information . I gave these links so that you can get to the meat of the theory :)

But Rick did bring up an interesting point that whether this complex specified info could have been preprogrammed within life or added at certain times is a valid question that's a little tougher to answer .
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

I dont mean to be dismissive of a noted philosopher as "just' something.
Regardless, the story of the preacher's son who fell away, and returned is as old as the hills, and is, as I said, a testimonial of no evidentiary value. No relevant facts or data offered,

With regard to "no known" mechanism, I've not checked into idea on that. It is, howevet, an argument from ignorance.

Could you define for us what "specified" means?

Relate it to this, if you can; we all know that reefer magnets are done by people, intelligent agents coding it.

......... if you think photons are coming to you coded with information, complex, specified, or otherwise. If not why not, if so why so. And how they get coded, if they are? How do you get info from them, if they are not?

Here is another complexity Q. Take a coke bottle, and smash it. The new arrangement is far more complex than the intelligently designed coke bottle.

How, other than intelligent design or evolution, do you suppose DNA got its info?
Is there some 3rd possibility?

Side issue, but how did "macroevolution push you" away from ToE?
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:

Seems to me you just answered a q with a q, and then made that my fault somehow.

It seems to me you dont know much about "information" specified or otherwise if you cant see whether a photon is coded with information when it bounces off something.

The photon question is extremely simple and straightforward. No in depth knowledge of photos required, at all. It was offered as an opportunity to think about what might be meant by coding, and information. Its a valid question regardless of what conditions you wish to try to impose on it.

Photons visiting your eye from the computer screen are coded with info about what is on the screen. Photos from distant galaxies tell us how fast they are moving away, among other things.

If you are familiar with CSI you might be able to say if that is "specified" if so why, if not why not.

If by "quit trying to be smart" you mean intelligent, no deal; if you mean like, quit being a smarty pants, that is a deep cheap shot, unworthy of you, and has no value other than to try to degrade me. Please specify your intent, clearly, for all.
Based on your definition photons then are a communication channel.
Much like copper wires or fibre optics. They are not the information but convey to our eyes.
Just because photons allow me to read the words on this screen, doesn't mean that it is the information.
Therefore it isn't just not specified or complex, it is not information.

I'd encourage you to read those previous links, and if you know what CSI is, well then great.
It's not a concept to really argued against I'd think, if that be your intention... but I really can't tell with you sometimes Audie.
You're such a complicated person who I like to think I can predict, but really can't at times. yp**==
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

Audie wrote:I dont mean to be dismissive of a noted philosopher as "just' something.
Regardless, the story of the preacher's son who fell away, and returned is as old as the hills, and is, as I said, a testimonial of no evidentiary value. No relevant facts or data offered,

With regard to "no known" mechanism, I've not checked into idea on that. It is, howevet, an argument from ignorance.

Relate it to this, if you can; we all know that reefer magnets are done by people, intelligent agents coding it.

......... if you think photons are coming to you coded with information, complex, specified, or otherwise. If not why not, if so why so. And how they get coded, if they are? How do you get info from them, if they are not?

Here is another complexity Q. Take a coke bottle, and smash it. The new arrangement is far more complex than the intelligently designed coke bottle.

How, other than intelligent design or evolution, do you suppose DNA got its info?

""Here is another complexity Q. Take a coke bottle, and smash it. The new arrangement is far more complex than the intelligently designed coke bottle.""

But it's not specified . Not only that each time u smash it it's a way different arrangement . There is nothing specified about it and there is no willed purpose .

As far as Macroevolution that is a secondary issue for me as well as other ID'sts as some bodies in common descent and some don't . My problem is that Macroevolution demolishes the slow and gradual Darwinian evolution because we don't see any gradualism at all. What in fact we do see is leaps from one fully formed animal to another .

Take a look at whale evolution for instance which takes a multitude of changes to happen and the transitional fossil chart is already strained to its limit to even make this feasible .

This was demolished when paleontologists found a basilasaurus fossil dating back to 49 million years swimming the oceans at the same time as ambulocetas . Why is this significant you ask ? (Well u didn't ask but u probably will :mrgreen: )
Ambulocetas is the key in the whale transitionary charts as it was supposed to be the transitionary stage animals between whales and their supposed land dwelling ancestor and basilasaurus was the first full whale in the chart .
What was already a strained chart now has gotten even worse . The transitionary chart is strained because u have even less animals in it then the other transitionary chart does .

I know the chart well as outside of the Permian and Carboniferous I was most intrigued with whale evolution when I was an evolutionist , and coming out of college I was taught to never ever doubt or question the scientific fact if evolution and I never did , too I stumbled upon Meyers signature in the cell video many years later.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intellig ... oblem-for-
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

bippy123 wrote:
Audie wrote:I dont mean to be dismissive of a noted philosopher as "just' something.

""Here is another complexity Q. Take a coke bottle, and smash it. The new arrangement is far more complex than the intelligently designed coke bottle.""

But it's not specified . Not only that each time u smash it it's a way different arrangement . There is nothing specified about it and there is no willed purpose .

As far as Macroevolution that is a secondary issue for me as well as other ID'sts as some bodies in common descent and some don't . My problem is that Macroevolution demolishes the slow and gradual Darwinian evolution because we don't see any gradualism at all. What in fact we do see is leaps from one fully formed animal to another .

Take a look at whale evolution for instance which takes a multitude of changes to happen and the transitional fossil chart is already strained to its limit to even make this feasible .

This was demolished when paleontologists found a basilasaurus fossil dating back to 49 million years swimming the oceans at the same time as ambulocetas . Why is this significant you ask ? (Well u didn't ask but u probably will :mrgreen: )
Ambulocetas is the key in the whale transitionary charts as it was supposed to be the transitionary stage animals between whales and their supposed land dwelling ancestor and basilasaurus was the first full whale in the chart .
What was already a strained chart now has gotten even worse . The transitionary chart is strained because u have even less animals in it then the other transitionary chart does .

I know the chart well as outside of the Permian and Carboniferous I was most intrigued with whale evolution when I was an evolutionist , and coming out of college I was taught to never ever doubt or question the scientific fact if evolution and I never did , too I stumbled upon Meyers signature in the cell video many years later.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intellig ... oblem-for-
I'm sorry you went to such an appallingly bad college as that. "Never ever question?" That is truly bad.

Macro demolishing etc is a new one on me never heard that.
You are tho quite mistaken in your belief about "no gradualism".

Did you look at original research papers on your whale thing? I dont like my info to come
predigested or filtered by any ideology.

Ive a feeling you've been had in this particular.

Any comment on the argument from ignorance comment I made?

Or about the complex info in coded in photons.

IF greater complexity is a sign of design, Ive more questions.

There was a willed purpose to breaking the bottle, and any two people are far more different than any two
broken coke bottles.

Some csi definitions seem ad hoc to me.