Evidence for theistic evolution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Evidence for theistic evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Guy come on, the burden of proof that ACB requires is too high, you would never be able to convince him of anything, you're best just to leave him alone to his own thoughts.

Ignore me because you can't handle the truth? I do not ignore people I disagree with I come with evidence which I have given.Evidence outshines words but I cannot make anybody change their mind,but evidence changes mine.
I am pretty sure those words did not come out of my hands, I said the burden of proof you require is too high, it is fruitless to continue.

Well I'm not your enemy just because I differ with you and so I hope you can understand that.I just go by evidence,it is how I research and study things.You may do the same but I zone in on evidence and its became a habit of mine so that it is normal to me now.Do not think evidence would not change my mind about evolution because I have no problem admitting I am wrong and I have changed my mind about things and I would accept evolution if the evidence backs it up.This is how God led me to research things and is just how I do it.Evidence.
I never said you were an enemy or ever held you as an enemy, it's just not within my nature to do so.

I just think the conversation is fruitless and pointless, the evidence you require is of such a high standard that it would be impossible to obtain, so the whole conversation is a non starter.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:You cannot demonstrate life evolves without evidence for macro because all micro really is is variations in reproduction despite it being called micro evolution.I don't think evolution can be defeated that way they refuse to give up and admit life does not evolve,hence the Mito Eve theory.
I do not know enough about Macro Evolution to defend it properly, but I think it would be just as foolish to claim micro evolution must be observed/demonstrated in a lab in order for scientists to say what happened, as it would be to claim a crime scene investigator must be present during the crime in order to be able to say what happened.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
As you can see from the above definition, evolution has never been restricted to species change; but if you want to insist that it is, go ahead and believe it; but don't be surprised if you aren't taken seriously. You don't get to change the meaning of words because you don't like them.

Ken
is the change in heritable phenotype traits of biological populations over successive generations.

Explain how showing variations in reproduction and life adapting demonstrates this.We've already discussed insects,mosquitos,plants,viruses and bacteria and yet none of this demonstrates the above definition.It is assumptions because none of the examples above demonstrate it.In all of these examples there is no real change the evidence shows all of these things remain the same kind of life they started out with hence a virus remains a vurus,bacteria remains bacteria,the insects remain the same kind of insects,same with mosquitos and the plants.All we are seeing is variations in reproduction or life adapting to survive a hostile environment,there is no real change over successive generations you end up with the same kind of life you started out with.Are you denying evolution is about one kind of life evolving into another kind of life? How come none of the examples demonstrate this?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Explain how showing variations in reproduction and life adapting demonstrates this.We've already discussed insects,mosquitos,plants,viruses and bacteria and yet none of this demonstrates the above definition.
I've given you examples of plants evolving, insects evolving, (malaria cure foiled) germs, (remember the throat culture) Science calls this evolution, If you want to call it something else; that's okay but don't expect to be taken seriously.
abelcainsbrother wrote:Are you denying evolution is about one kind of life evolving into another kind of life?
Yes! In the examples I gave, the malaria mosquitoes were still mosquitoes after they evolved resistant to the insecticide.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Explain how showing variations in reproduction and life adapting demonstrates this.We've already discussed insects,mosquitos,plants,viruses and bacteria and yet none of this demonstrates the above definition.
I've given you examples of plants evolving, insects evolving, (malaria cure foiled) germs, (remember the throat culture) Science calls this evolution, If you want to call it something else; that's okay but don't expect to be taken seriously.
abelcainsbrother wrote:Are you denying evolution is about one kind of life evolving into another kind of life?
Yes! In the examples I gave, the malaria mosquitoes were still mosquitoes after they evolved resistant to the insecticide.

Ken
Adapted? Or evolved?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Adapted? Or evolved?
According to you? Adapted. According to science? Evolved.

K
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Kenny wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Ken
Adapted? Or evolved?
According to you? Adapted. According to science? Evolved.

K
According to science, both are true. Evolve means to change, adapt means to change because of external factors.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The adaption issue is a fascinating one.
If random mutations occur in living organisms BECAUSE of environmental factors ( and they do), then this can be viewed as the organism ADAPTING to it's environment.
Not all biologists see it that way however and, IMO, it is because they do not want to see evolution within any contact that can lead to see "goal orientedness" or "purpose" of any sort.
That is a mistake of course because natural selection, by its very definition, implies some sort of goal orientedness in nature.

Some view the adaption part of evolution from the perspective of the living organism using it's "new found" traits to adapt to a new environment (or even an existing one that is changing).
They view that this approach leaves evolution still as random.

I disagree and think that they do this simply to NOT see that there is a purpose or direction in the function of evolution.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:The adaption issue is a fascinating one.
If random mutations occur in living organisms BECAUSE of environmental factors ( and they do), then this can be viewed as the organism ADAPTING to it's environment.
Not all biologists see it that way however and, IMO, it is because they do not want to see evolution within any contact that can lead to see "goal orientedness" or "purpose" of any sort.
That is a mistake of course because natural selection, by its very definition, implies some sort of goal orientedness in nature.

Some view the adaption part of evolution from the perspective of the living organism using it's "new found" traits to adapt to a new environment (or even an existing one that is changing).

I disagree and think that they do this simply to NOT see that there is a purpose or direction in the function of evolution.

I think its a logical and factual absurdity to see evolution as having goals.

Its all just trial and error. What happens to "work" this time, and maybe not next time.

If a blind cave fish were a goal, why go thru stages that involve sight first?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:

Its all just trial and error. What happens to "work" this time, and maybe not next time.

Only if you see the goal as having to be (A) as opposed to simply BEING goal oriented.

I say that evolution is oriented towards a purpose in the since that evolution HAPPENS as oppose to it NOT happening at all.
In short, there is NO reason for mutations to occur UNLESS living organisms are able to mutate and for that there has to be something in their genes that allows for mutation to happen AND there is something in those genes that also "naturally selects" the mutations that somehow are deemed "beneficial".

See, people that want to keep evolution as "goalless and purposeless" and YET claim that natural selection works are basically saying this:

Evolution serves no purpose and has no goal, it simply random happens for no reason and, somehow, living organism are able to take advantage of some of these mutations and those mutations are, somehow and with no purpose or goal, selected and based on to future generations, for no reason whatsoever, no goal and no purpose.

See the issue here right?
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audie wrote:

Only if you see the goal as having to be (A) as opposed to simply BEING goal oriented.

I say that evolution is oriented towards a purpose in the since that evolution HAPPENS as oppose to it NOT happening at all.
In short, there is NO reason for mutations to occur UNLESS living organisms are able to mutate and for that there has to be something in their genes that allows for mutation to happen AND there is something in those genes that also "naturally selects" the mutations that somehow are deemed "beneficial".

See, people that want to keep evolution as "goalless and purposeless" and YET claim that natural selection works are basically saying this:

Evolution serves no purpose and has no goal, it simply random happens for no reason and, somehow, living organism are able to take advantage of some of these mutations and those mutations are, somehow and with no purpose or goal, selected and based on to future generations, for no reason whatsoever, no goal and no purpose.

See the issue here right?

Try this. We've a vast barren plain of dirt. Then the rain falls on it. There is a great element of randomness, tho every sq meter averages out to the same number of cm of rain. More or less, you know.

There being some unevenness to the terrain, and some slope, the water gathers and moves with gravity downslope.

As it goes, it carries particles, (more randomness there), and we see rivulets form.
its all very mathematical. Streamlets will move along, "trial and error" first rushing here, then filling a depression as the main current finds a better way, abandoning earlier routes, cutting and widening the new.

Then there will be a whole drainage formed, with tributaries, tributary capture; braided channels, cut banks, meanders, riffle and run, perhaps cut off oxbows, incised meanders, distributaries, delta, evaporation pan...all very mathematical, all in response to, well, environmental pressures, physical laws.

Obviously it is simpler, but in what fundamental way do you think this is different from the progression in evolution?
Last edited by Audie on Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

The problem I see with adaptation as evidence life evolves is that we can observe that life can adapt to survive hostile environments and we don't have to go in a science lab to observe it and when life adapts it does not evolve,yet when scientists see and observe life adapt in a lab,they tell us it evolved when it did'nt and it makes no difference if mutations happen,life that has adapted does not evolve and there are many examples in the world around us.The reason vaccines are produced is because life can adapt and not that it evolves,don't let anyone tell you different.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

abelcainsbrother wrote:The problem I see with adaptation as evidence life evolves is that we can observe that life can adapt to survive hostile environments and we don't have to go in a science lab to observe it and when life adapts it does not evolve,yet when scientists see and observe life adapt in a lab,they tell us it evolved when it did'nt and it makes no difference if mutations happen,life that has adapted does not evolve and there are many examples in the world around us.The reason vaccines are produced is because life can adapt and not that it evolves,don't let anyone tell you different.
Evolve means to change, so are you saying when something adapts it does not change at all?
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:The problem I see with adaptation as evidence life evolves is that we can observe that life can adapt to survive hostile environments and we don't have to go in a science lab to observe it and when life adapts it does not evolve,yet when scientists see and observe life adapt in a lab,they tell us it evolved when it did'nt and it makes no difference if mutations happen,life that has adapted does not evolve and there are many examples in the world around us.The reason vaccines are produced is because life can adapt and not that it evolves,don't let anyone tell you different.
Evolve means to change, so are you saying when something adapts it does not change at all?
I'm going by the scientific definition of evolution and based on this life does not evolve because it adapted.There is no evolving when life adapts and we can see and observe many examples that it does not evolve.Change dooes not mean evolution or that it evolved.I do not reject reality and variations in reproduction can be considered change like a new breed of dog,but it is still a dog and will only ever be a dog based on reality not that life evolves.I do not look at a new kind of lizard as the lizard evolved because it is still a lizard but scientists do somehow.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
I'm going by the scientific definition of evolution and based on this life does not evolve because it adapted.There is no evolving when life adapts and we can see and observe many examples that it does not evolve.Change dooes not mean evolution or that it evolved.I do not reject reality and variations in reproduction can be considered change like a new breed of dog,but it is still a dog and will only ever be a dog based on reality not that life evolves.I do not look at a new kind of lizard as the lizard evolved because it is still a lizard but scientists do somehow.
The scientific meaning is
Evolution is defined as the process of growth and development or the theory that organisms have grown and developed from past organisms.

So when an organism adapts it is different from past organisms, therefore it has evolved.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

ACB, I was thinking.

What evidence convinces you that Earth is old, given that you haven't actually seen how long it has been around for?
Then secondly, can those who believe in evolution of all life likewise find enough evidence without having to actually see millions of years of evolving?
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)